Booby trapped buildings!!

Hopefully this is not old news, but I have never seen booby trapped buildings in a scenario, which are very easy to do by placing buildings on top of IEDs.

The picture below shows how the whole building is demolished by a huge IED, with devastating results on the environment!

Best regards,

Thomm

ThommBoobyTrappedBuilding.jpg

This is news to me too! I tried it today and it worked for both a human-controlled IED and for an AI-controlled one, although in the latter case I had to put the trigger-man literally in the same building to be sure of a detonation.

One drawback is that you can't place IEDs inside buildings during setup - you have to do it in the editor and save the scenario. Maybe BFC thought IED placement inside buildings would be abused by players. Personally I see no reason why this shouldn't be allowed during setup.

The IED I tried was a "large radio IED" and it demolished the 2-storey building it was in. Some experimentation may be required to see how big a bang is needed for each building type and height.

One drawback is that you can't place IEDs inside buildings during setup
in scenarios where i tried out IEDs i planted them often infront of entrances to buildings wich look "valuable".

if the building has a "dangerous(covered)" and a "safe(observed)" entrance you can play around with that and lure the enemy or make him move to the save side and BAAAM.

I tested all of them now.

Small, radio control ... could not be activated (bug?)

Medium does not damage the walls.

Large knocks out the walls of the ground floor.

Huge knocks down the building it is in and knocks in the ground floor walls of adjacent buildings (which I find quite cool).

Best regards,

Thomm

Thomm,

There may be some variation in results due to random factors and/or building composition as my test results were as follows:

Small Radio IED - building intact.

Medium Radio IED - blew out one wall.

Large/Huge Radio IED - collapsed building.

I had quite a few malfunctions as well though. I suspect that's what you got for the small IED. If you select it, where it once said "(activated)" it should say "(malfunction)". Alternatively, it may have just been out of line of sight due to being too far back in the building.

Originally posted by Cpl Steiner:

I had quite a few malfunctions as well though. I suspect that's what you got for the small IED.

It was different. The Target button was greyed out, so I could not even activate it. Looked buggy.

Best regards,

Thomm

Here's a suggestion for spicing up scenarios.

1) Booby trap an objective building in the way discussed in this thread.

2) Place a "touch" objective that is known to neither player at a suitable position near the booby trapped objective building. All it does when activated is display a message like, "Mission Change: Objective building is booby trapped; do not enter!". Objectives that aren't booby trapped give you 100 points each but the touch objective gives you 200 points and the booby trapped building gives you zero points (obviously).

3) Add something in the briefing like, "be careful entering all objective buildings as they may be rigged with explosives".

I guarantee the first time someone goes over one of the touch objectives they are going to be very careful about entering any other objectives! ;)