New Scenario - Morgan's Stand

I adapted an old CMBO scenario I did for CMSF - it's pretty rough for a first attempt so I am looking for feedback. It was my first time tackling the editor.

In this battle, a weak US company must defend the village of Bar-el-Saddam against a determined Syrian attack.

It has been uploaded to CMMODS.

Thanks.

[ February 11, 2008, 07:11 AM: Message edited by: Frenchy ]

Just played though the updated version of the scenario, as the Red side and managed to secure a Total Victory though a Blue Surrender.

morgansstandlh8.jpg

Lost all of the original five T-55s, two T-62s, and a bunch of the BMPs.

Rather surprised that the T-62s were able to take several hits from the M1 from a rather close range and not even suffer any casualties. The M1s were taken out with sheer volume of fire from the tanks and BMPs. The BDRM ATGM carriers proved to be utterly useless, unable to spot their own hand in front of their face – both were taken out without firing a single missile.

A few comments, hopefully constructive: tongue.gif

The thing that I didn’t like the most is having the Blue reinforcements spawn not even a 30m away from the objective. While it’s not a problem limited to this particular scenario, it does become more evident on such a small map. By the time Blue reinforcements showed up, I had an entire company on top of the main objective and all of my tanks only 50-70m away from it. Needless to say that upon spawning the pair of M1s and half a dozen Bradley’s made quick work of the lot.

My rule of thumb is that there should not be any reinforcements, unless they can be spawned reasonably out of LOS from the main action.

Given the monumental amount of high caliber guns on the attacking side, the defenders have absolutely no chance of surviving. Perhaps adding an extra 3-4 layers of buildings and walls to break up the LOS would help.

I also felt that the Red side had way too much infantry, even without that last Infantry Battalion showing up. At that point even if I hadn’t destroyed all of Blue’s Armor I could’ve charged in hopes of depleting their MG ammo tongue.gif

All in all that was pretty good fun, even if a little unorthodox tongue.gif

Louch and Bodkin -

Thanks for the feedback - I will probably make more tweaks when 1.07 comes out by extending the map and having the US come in a bit further back. I was a bit conscience of the hit some systems take with large maps hence the somewhat smaller map in the current battle.

The original Morgan's Stand in CMBO did have a larger map and US units had to cross a bridge to get to their beleagured comrades.

If a bridge is doable in the CMSF editor I haven't figure it out.

Believe it or not the Army can win - I've had two players email me with their results. It was close but doable.

Out of curiosity did the Syrian mortars have any affect?

[ February 15, 2008, 03:38 AM: Message edited by: Frenchy ]

You actually did a great job with the terrain in Red's starting end - lots of room to maneuver and when the reinforcements do arrive they don't end up looking as if they were para-dropped on top of the opposing force.

So all you'd need to do is make the village the center of the map, as opposed to it's far edge. This way when Blue reinforcements do arrive they can be positioned a few hundred meters away and hopefully even out of LOS.

Originally posted by Frenchy:

The original Morgan's Stand in CMBO did have a larger map and US units had to cross a bridge to get to their beleagured comrades.

If a bridge is doable in the CMSF editor I haven't figure it out.

There's a scenario on cmmods called "Asmar Crossing" that simulates a bridge/river cutting through the middle of the map well, check that out as an example.

Tried it as the USA and the syrian tanks managed to break through finally and were taking the village just as my Abrams reinforcements turned up to turn the tide. My original Abrams ran out of ammo =( Had a quick go as the syrians however in RT I found it hard to keep up with all the units at my disposal!

Played it on veteran, RT blue side. It was a blast quite literally smile.gif

spoilers:

Very intense, my 1st abrahams ran out of ammo, and I thought now what... Luckily the reinforcements came and I could mop up everything from that point on. Though I got a total victory by wiping them out, I didn’t get any point for holding the village, although no Syrian unit was alive. If the Syrian tanks go into the village and are destroyed they still score points?

Guys - just uploaded version 3 of Morgan's stand. I have extended the map - placing the village nearly in the center. I also added a few more buildings. 3 plans are included for red and 2 for blue.

Uploaded to CMMODS.

SPOILER - Us reinforcements must travel a bit to help save the day. They no longer pop in outside the village. This may give the Syrian player a chance to hold the village.

I played it as US against Red AI and it was a nail biter with blue holding on.

Reinforcements come in low on ammo also.

just played it through as the US and thought it was definitely a lot harder. Due to a lucky shot on my Abrams quite a lot of armour and BMPs managed to get into the village and the farm and it was good fun pushing them back out with my reinforcements. Still a US total victory but more fun to play smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...