AAR: "Machinegun Outposts" OP GHOST on 4th Jan.08

AAR: OP Ghost "Sweep &Clean"

Following the Plans the First Platoon got that Hill up Fast. The MMGs stayed down and covered their Approach and where watching SE Hill and House#3.

As the First Platoon get up there the sourrounded that Building and tryed to take it from two sites.

(Hillsteps Problem here made me Loose 2 Men WIA due to Game Mechanics i cant handle)

p_1199622178.JPG

2 Squads and the Platoon HQ where Simulatnly attacking from 2 Sides and enemy Fire came up. A Corporal from a Fireteam Reacted really Fast and put a Law on the Rooftop of one of the Houses and the Returning Fire from the enemy stopped fast.

1stPlatoon, 1st Squad get fast onto that Houses Area and killed the last Guy on the Rooftop.

"House#1 Cleared Captain" the Platoon Leader said.

"Advancing to House Numer two.

While 1stPlatoon where attacking that House#1 the Enemy Opend Fire from House#3. The MMGs opend Fire and the House#3 Stopped Fast. Meanwhile the 2nd Platoon showed up and made their Way trough the Ally. THey left their MMGs on the Hilltop near House#1 to give their Commrades Firesupport.

p_1199622244.JPG

After that the 2nd Platoon HQ and 2 INfsquads covered bye 4MMGs where making Approach to the Enemys House#3. Glad that HQ Suqad was running so fast so that the could avoid the Bullets of that "Sniper!!" the 2ndPlatoon HQ jelled on the Radio.

So 4 MMGs opened up Fire and that Parts of the First Platoon on that Hilltop near House#1.

That Sniper died Fast and did no Casualtiys to the HQ Squads.

"Advance!! Dont hand out there in the Open!" the Company HQ said and so the 2dn Platoon Advanced to that House while the MMGs where peppering that House#3 to make the Enemy Squad in there keeping their Heads down.

At 20m they Stormed that House with Grenades and Heavy RIfle Fire making it a fast and Deadly approach. After Seconds that House was cleared.

p_1199622633.JPG

1st Platoon made an Attack on that House#2 from House#1 and killed an HQ Unit inside their. As they asked an Dying Syrian Officer he said that they where the Last Unit onto Hilltop #1

So 1st Platoon setup Defensive Positions on Hilltop#1 and 2nd Platoon was approaching on that South east Hill.

Meanwhile the 3rd was there and Company HQ changed the Plans. So far their where no Enemy Seen on that South East Hill and we belived that there wont be any Tough Resistance. So the 3rd Was right Braeking Noth Teaming up with 1st Platoon and pushing Further North on that Hill near Town after the Second would have cleared that Hill.

p_1199622984.JPG

p_1199623010.JPG

So the 2nd Platoon cleared the Hills without any Haevy Resistance as Ecspexted but the Had a Thrilling Moment as Fireteam#1 from 1stGroup/A-Team from 1.Squad2ndPlatoon had some Serious Problems with an RPG showing up.

"RPG Fire, 1 Kill confirmed. But there still must be one out there. We storm their Positions" they reported in and so they did. They managed to kill that Hiding RPG Soldier but then Suddenly one of their Commrads from that 3-Men Fireteam fell in a Blood Dust. Something hit him and so they fell prone.

"Sounded like a Sniper way North. Leutenant" The 1.Group said.

"So much woods out there. He could be everywhere.Ill report in to the Captain and tell him that we cant Approach. We first have to evac our other Men up here" and so the Leutenant Reported the Captain that

"Hilltop Secured Captain but we cant Advance. Unknown Enemy FOrces Strenght up there. Have one Casualtiy so far. Field is too much opened. Snipers Probably."

"Okay Leutenant. Hold that Hilltop and Spot for the Enemy. Report in any changes." the Captain of C-Company said.

p_1199623400.JPG

Captain gave the New Orders.

"Phase2 of the Plan. Repeat Phase 2 of the Plan now Leutenants" the Captain of C-Company said.

"1st and 3rd Platoon. Advance to that Hilltop near Town asap.Recon the Village and bring Supressive Fire to Town. You are well armed and dont have much Casualtiys. Now you can show what you learned in Fort Bragg"

The 1st and 3rd moved out with nothing happening till they reached that Hilltop.

After that a Stiff Firefight broke out. The 1st and 3rd Platoon didnt perform well. The didnt manage to bring their Boys in a Line to supress the enemy. For over 15 Minutes they didnt manage to take the Hilltop Positions and supress the Enemy. They had multiple Casualtiys and wasted all their Ammo on that Squads on their Right Flank to the North-East Sector of Town.

"Enemy in the Open. 450m Open Fire!!!" The Platoon Leader said but 4MMGs and 5 Squads couldnt manage to kill them or even Break them or make them Fallback.

"We are not able to supress the Enemy. Still they open Fire on us. We have Casualtiys Sir!"

The C-Company Commander was raging. That was the Problem with those Green Troops. They come right from Training ground and had their "So-good" Rifletraining and when the Bullets fly over their Head the cant Hit a ****!!

"Take advantage. You have everything yuo have 1st and 3rd. You meant that serious! When this Mission is over ill tell you how to use your Gun the Right Way Leutanant!" His hand was shaking on the Radio as one of his COmpany HQ Staff came in.

"Captain. I have that Falcon with Big Boobs Loadout on the Line" the Officer said.

"Give him Coordinated that the 1st Platoon will give you. - That Falcon should Bomb the **** out of them if those Green Noobs cant do it"

"Yes Sir the Officer said. Copy that"

The Captain grabbed the Radio and opend a Line to 1st and 3rd Platoon: "Retreat from that Hilltop. 1stPlatoonHQ Recon that Postition with the Most Enemy Concentration and tell the FAC the Positions. We dont have much Time. So taking the Village is not an Objective anymore because this Battle is only lasting for 20 more Minutes. Fall back and wait for the F-16 to Strike. Shes got some Big Loadout."

So the 1st and 3rd Platoon fall back and taking their wounded with them. It was lots of Chaos and they needed that Break. Earlyer as Exspected the F-16 Boom sound where comming in and dropped its deadly Load Right on Target

[Thunder!!!]

p_1199624290.JPG

As the Battle was going on 2nd Platoon couldnt Manage to fnid that Sniper holding them off on the Right Flank.

The Falcon was comming in 3 more Times dropping its Deadly load onto the Enemy but the Rest of the Bombs where a bit wasted but breaked the Units on the Right Flank.

The 1st and 2nd Platoon didnt Manage to take the Village.

[second Bomb Run]

p_1199624504.JPG

After those Bombs there where only Few Minutes left and Still enemy Infantry showed up in that Town. 1st Platoon Managed to get a Squad insite Town on the Outskirts but Village clear was not Reached. They just had a Foothold in it. On the other Hand their wasnt that Much Resistance left after that F-16 striked the Right Flank.

p_1199624664.JPG

So we had 3 Men Dead and 15WIA. But the High Command was counting the Winning still as a Totaly Victory with the Losses we inflicted to the Enemy.

C-Company will advance and get in Contact with the Alpha and Bravo Company.

Nope Sorry. I have just a Savegame from the Setup Phase. But only Few Men in the City (about 5 or so) and Those RPG+Sniper in the Woods (3men) and in those House near the Field that i Bombed Survived plus 1 Sniper making it about 15 Survivors.

So here we go again.

As everything went as planned so far Captain Atak hear of the not so lucky Performing Carlie Companiy.

"Thats what happening when you sent Green Guys to war".

As the Captain Thought this they heard some AK-74 Fire on the Other Side of the Town and some People Screaming. The Radio was noiseing from an Incoming call.

"This is Ltd. McNutts Speaking Sir. Recon Patrol says that there are some Riots over there on the other Side of the Bridges. They are armed and Dangerous. What should we do Sir!" Mc Nutt asked

"Setup Defencive Postitions. 3Rd Platoon on the Left Flank, 2nd and 1st Right Beside them".

"Roger" McNutt said. And the 3 Platoons where setting up Defensive Positions. 1st and 2nd Platoon Managed to put up some MMG near the Main Road to double Cross that Right Bridge without beeing to exposed. As they setup Positions with good overviews over the dry Riverbed and the Bridges they got Prone. No need to spur on that Mob out there by showing to much Military Presence. The Villages People where almost gone but they didnt like the US Troops very much. But good point was that they left the Mosquet intact so the made some Friends here so far.

"Sir! There are Enemy Vehicles comming to. Its getting hot in here"

Captain Atak took an overview about his Setup. Then he seen the Flanks exposed. When they have Vehicles they can Encicle us fast and cut us off from Resupply and Fallback Positions. So he orderd

"Too every Platoons. Leaders are adviced to seperate some AT 2 Men Units and Guard the Entrances in our Part of the City. Also too Teams should Guard the Left and Right Flank." he made a short Brake.

Then he added "And bring up that Corporal Kay on the Right Flank in that Trenches. He looks bold and clarified. He should lead a MMG Squad into that Mosquettowers and another Squad guarding the Area. He knows the Terrain."

"Roger Captain" The Platoon Leaders said.

p_1199646889.JPG

So the Plan was to building up the Defense and let the Enemy come Close. Then Start Mortar Attack on Enemy Concentrations and if they come to close then Fallback into Town and but the Remaining Attackers that made it over the Bridge retreating. If everything brake to pieces they would Fallback onto that Hill where they came from.

"Here is Captain Atak Speaking. Riots and Militia otw to our Positions Soldiers.HQ element is Sprinting on that Hill in our backs to give some Mortar Guidance from up there and have an overview onto the Battlefield. My XO will stay with you here in Town and im just a Few Meters away. Stay calm. We will make is Soldiers!"

Captain Atak said and sprinted back to that Hill he mentioned. Should the Enemy come. The US-Troops where well prepared.

So Captain Ataks Hands are shaking after he and about 30 Men of his whole Bravo Company make it out of this F***ing town.

The High Command i thinkking about breaking this Operation due to the Massacre that Happended near the Bridge.

Captain Atak felt guilty for not Staying with his Men. He had a Clear Overview over the Field of Slaughter. He rethink the Moments and he think of it again.

He thought:"We never had a Chance. Masses of Enemys nearly twice or Three Times that much as our Men. Heavly Armed and overequipeed with RPG29 and RPG7. Crazyiest think was that they where Supportet bye BRDM-2. Bravo Company only had Few LAW where all missed on that Distances."

Everything went okay till those Ordes where falling in. They had Control over the Enemy till those APCs showed up and without any Middle or Longrange Anti Armour Support they where done. Simply as it is. 3/4th of B-Company is lying dead on the Battlefield. Brave Men like McNutts or McNeal died. Last thing he heard of was that they captured Crazy Leutnant cannon. They speared his HEad onto the Bridges and grind their Commrades Bodys through the City.

He never Heard of Corporal Kay. Brave Man who was totally overrun on the Right Flank Scouting.

They couldnt Retreat the enemy was firing from all Sides. Even in Guarded Rear Areas of Town the enemy managed to kill them on the Open Road. It was just not real.

As Able Company came to Cpt. Atak they said as they seen those Mens falling around like Ghost: "Dear god what has happend Cpt.Atak? We are here to sent Reinforcment and retake the Bridge!"

"We got Slughtered. If that is all what you brought" he overlooked the Troops.. "then you wont Stand that Enemy. APCs and Masses of Infantry well trained and armed. No chance without Tanks or Strykers. We need Heavy Artillery and Airsupport..." he said and Collapsed.

The Commander of Able Company Found a Camera one of the Wounded Soldiers gave him with this Photos. They speak for themselfs caught that Blood Bath into Pictures.

p_1199654689.JPG

p_1199654731.JPG

p_1199654758.JPG

p_1199654792.JPG

p_1199654814.JPG

[Last Pic Taken from Corporal Kay alive]

p_1199654853.JPG

p_1199654898.JPG

p_1199654976.JPG

p_1199655013.JPG

p_1199655037.JPG

[Heroes at the Bridges. Heroic Attack on that Slaughtering APC. Sweet Revenge!!]

p_1199655079.JPG

[Total Defeat]

p_1199655152.JPG

Denouement of that Operation for B-Company

Officers and Lots of Soldiers from 1st and 2nd Platoon died. 3rd Brought the most of their men home.

B-Company never had the Chance to hold the Bridges nor where there a way to retreat [OT Note: It was anoying to lay escape Routes over and over again just to make the AI erease them in no time, there should be a "Fallback" Button]. Smoke and staying calm didnt help.

WIthout MOrtar or Airsupport they where outnumbered and outgunned. THe Lack of AT Cabability (the few Laws where not enough) changed the Tide but the Loads of enemey would have won anyway.

The High Command is rethinking of moving on at Operation Ghost because of that tough Hit on the US-Troops.

Captain Atak suspensed from the Army for 3 Month due to Mental Traumas like the Half of the Rest of B-Company.

Personal Player Note on that:

I´m a bit sad what happended to that B-Company. I started to Like that Men like McNutts, Captain Atak or Corporal Kay. They all gone to Hell. A good Story with B-Company with a Bad Ending.

What makes me a bit upset is that you have absolutly no chance in changing this. As we all know is that Falling back in this Game is somewhat useless if you do it on foot. Pathes are ereased for no reason and everything fall out of your Control. There are simply too much enemys and APCs, RPGs and other Stuff.

If there is a Hint in the Design that there is comming such a Force and you should do a Coordinated Fallback with Support of Some Strykers i would Say "Hey thats okay". But not only my Men had no chance i hadnt one too.

Heard something about Fallback but never imagined it will be THAT hard.

I´m thinking of playing the Campaign on or not. Its a RPG Campaign and almost 100Men died that Day out on the Bridges almost killed 1/3 of a whole Battalion.

But anyway it was Fun and Challenging.

Taki,

Your AARs are a joy to read. It's like a book. It makes for all the hours I spent doing this campaign.

As for the mission, don't despair!

What makes me a bit upset is that you have absolutly no chance in changing this.

Not true.

I would play the mission again if I were you. You did extremely well for the first 3 missions! Total Victory for all 3! For the first time you had problems. No big deal. You are doing very well.

This is a difficult campaign. Some missions you will need to replay or carry on with what you've got.

We tend to underestimate the power of US weapons. They are more than enough to beat those guys. Even BRMDs. If you let your squads fire their weapons at will they will waste their weapons too early in ranges where they are not very effective.

You have been used to being the attacker.

In this mission you need to defend.

One single word will make all the difference and will make you win: AMBUSH.

If you look at the map you will see that the defender has very strong protected positions. The attacker has to come out in the open and even then has basically only the 2 bridges to get to your side. The attacker has a big problem here. He is exposed in the open while you are inside the buildings. And his path is predictable because of the bridges.

Place the squads in good positions and hide. Wait, wait, be patient. Let some of your squads fire to avoid being flanked and then hide again. Wait some more. Then once they are really close, unleash hell. Your squads will kill most of the BRMDs instantly. As for the rest, poor fellas! Even then keep some squads hidden. You will need them to retake the bridges from the remaining enemies.

The outcome will be totally different. ;)

This is my favorite mission in the campaign. I used to like the last two best but this one has so much action and for a change you are on the defensive position.

I think your mistake was to follow too close the briefing and start to fall back which led to disaster. You actually don't need to fall back. I Will take this out of the briefing. Retreating can be a disaster for the reasons you mentioned.

But I have to say that if you are desperate now you will only get even more in the next missions! :eek:

--

[ January 06, 2008, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: Webwing ]

Yeah maybe ist the style i played and how the Mission Design affected my Choices.

In the Briefing there is mentioned to fall back. As the Stituation was after 20Minutes loosing Men bye men (i used Take Cover, popped up fired on Inf in the Open and take cover again let them come closer, I wasted only 1 LAW on infantry the Rest just Missed completly on those APCs on 100m). i tryed to Retreat with Parts of Units useing smoke and some Units wich stayed infront.

Its okay to sent in that overhelming Forces. But they came in SO fast that i tought they will overrun the Positions with the APCs and then no retreat would have been possible anymore.

What did the Attackers? They stopped at the Bridge. Script should attack and occupie the whole Town with such an overhelming Force.

My Suggestions for that Mission are after i play a diffrent style and pure RPG (another Approach to the Ghost Campaign i guess)

1. Give the Order of a "Stay-at-all Costs" or "Coordinated Retreat".

If i would have planned with a Retreat i just would have sent out some Recon Units infront and placed the Backbone of my Platoons in the Rear of Town.

"With a Stay at all costs" i probably would have stayed but i dont think so. With a Look at the Battlefield, how much AT Cabability was left after 20Minutes and how much casualtiys i got in this time every RL Commander would have retreated i guess. No Black Hack Down Movie or FalludschaII

2. Making Retreating an "Option"

If you want to make Retreat an Tactical Option there can be some Ideas i had that can be done.

1-2MG Stryker wich could Drive like Bus can try to get some of the Squads out of Trouble. Sadly we dont have any other Squadsize Carring Units to evac the Troops.

On the other Hand i observed that the Enemy is comming very Fast. The APCs comming in fast and there where almost no reason why they should Stop at the Bridges.

Anyway. I had my Fun. I liked the realistic Feeling of the Campaign so far. Even writing was Fun to me.

Im looking forward to play the next Mission maybe today. But on your Last Comment i guess it will be even more Slaughtering then the Missions before.

Its not your Fault but i seen in CMSF that the Mission Endings are mostly Total Defeat or Total Victory with High Body Counts. No Inbetween Results like it was in CMx1 like "Draw" or "Tactical" Victory so far.

The Problem with it is to me that its hard for Enemy or yuorself to Retreat and the Game is very static. AI isnt Retreting or get breaked Moral to fall back. They start in a Position, they stay there. Also Casualties in the open are to high and anythin else then Trenches or Houses give to less cover/Concealment to Infantry Units (US AND Syrian too)

Anyway. I liked it so far and will probably play the Rest of those Missions. Take this AARs as a Tribute to the Campaign that you designed.

Great Work!

Originally posted by Taki:

What did the Attackers? They stopped at the Bridge. Script should attack and occupie the whole Town with such an overhelming Force.

I don't think they have an overwhelming force. The theory is that the attacking side should have a force 5 times bigger than the defender. Is that correct?

Anyway they have 20 guys more than you and the BRMDs which look threatening but are actually very weak.

My Suggestions for that Mission are after i play a diffrent style and pure RPG (another Approach to the Ghost Campaign i guess)

1. Give the Order of a "Stay-at-all Costs" or "Coordinated Retreat".

If i would have planned with a Retreat i just would have sent out some Recon Units infront and placed the Backbone of my Platoons in the Rear of Town.

"With a Stay at all costs" i probably would have stayed but i dont think so. With a Look at the Battlefield, how much AT Cabability was left after 20Minutes and how much casualtiys i got in this time every RL Commander would have retreated i guess. No Black Hack Down Movie or FalludschaII

2. Making Retreating an "Option"

If you want to make Retreat an Tactical Option there can be some Ideas i had that can be done.

1-2MG Stryker wich could Drive like Bus can try to get some of the Squads out of Trouble. Sadly we dont have any other Squadsize Carring Units to evac the Troops.

On the other Hand i observed that the Enemy is comming very Fast. The APCs comming in fast and there where almost no reason why they should Stop at the Bridges.

Good points. I will think what I can do to make this more interesting.

Anyway. I had my Fun. I liked the realistic Feeling of the Campaign so far. Even writing was Fun to me.

Im looking forward to play the next Mission maybe today. But on your Last Comment i guess it will be even more Slaughtering then the Missions before.

Its not your Fault but i seen in CMSF that the Mission Endings are mostly Total Defeat or Total Victory with High Body Counts. No Inbetween Results like it was in CMx1 like "Draw" or "Tactical" Victory so far.

The Problem with it is to me that its hard for Enemy or yuorself to Retreat and the Game is very static. AI isnt Retreting or get breaked Moral to fall back. They start in a Position, they stay there. Also Casualties in the open are to high and anythin else then Trenches or Houses give to less cover/Concealment to Infantry Units (US AND Syrian too)

Anyway. I liked it so far and will probably play the Rest of those Missions. Take this AARs as a Tribute to the Campaign that you designed.

Great Work!

Thanks for the AARs they are fantastic!

Don't give up on the campaign. Your feedback will be very important so that I can improve it in the following versions.

A warning:

The next mission I call "Normandy Landings". ;)

---

By the way,

In the 3rd mission, Sweep and Clear.

The guys that you had to kill with the air strike. I don't know what is wrong with them. I changed their settings, the type of units, and everything you can think of. But in that place they seem to be invincible!!!! :eek:

I really don't know why.

The only way, without the air strike, to beat them is to go further right and flank them with some infantry while pinning them with others in front. Which, when you think about it, is the right approach anyway.

--

• 1 month later...

I´m in Sweep&Clean too, sourrounding the Village is no Problm. But if I enter it, they surpress me toal. My troops cant even shoot back, or get close to the buildings. They take some Missle shoots and stay where they are, till no one left. Surpressing seems not possible. But have to try it again! smile.gif

With slow attacks it worked for me finally (elite mode)! :D

But 27 wounded and 9 dead was a high price for the complete victory! We only made 4 prisoners. :rolleyes:

Great campaing!

[ February 10, 2008, 07:04 AM: Message edited by: Andro ]