New Scenario: Crossroads

Originally posted by the Fighting Seabee:

Thanks for the new mission. I got it and will check it out tonight.

So far it is rated 4.0, not bad... since no one has bothered to rate mine (death on the sand). LOL.

I look forward to the other 8 map you have in the oven!

I wouldn't worry about rates if I were you.

I design the missions that I would like to play. Some are even a bit bizarre and I don't even upload them since they are only interesting for me.

I love getting feedback and comments and they help a lot improve the missions. It's also nice to know that we are contributing. But primarily you should have fun making and playing the missions.

Besides your's had a lot of downloads. ;)

As for the other missions/maps, some are too strange to upload, many unfinished. I tend to work on too many things at the same time so I have always a lot of unfinished projects laying around. :D

--

I've had my first go at the crossroads. Wow! Webwing, that was a ground pounding battle of attrition. I received a draw on this one. I will try again in a few. I do rate this one, "As the best so far." Of course I'm a little bias towards infantry but Wow what a challenge. The long distance exchange of rounds going down range was impressive.

***Spoiler***

At the start, the initial force began to deploy in the building area. I blasted a hole in the wall and started pushing my recon element forward to a house. I established a base of fire with my two MG teams and laid a smoke screen. The MG teams took out technicals on the highway before they could dismount their troops. I did try something new, I utilized the wind with smoke in this scenario and pushed my heavy infantry platoon forward in the center.

I pushed too much, once the smoke screen cleared my digital hard dogs were in real trouble. I received fire from every hill and building on the map east, west and north of their position. My scout platoon stayed at the house but my 1rst platoon started a slow crawl back to the trench line. It took me forever to get them to turn around and not head back. The fire was too intense. Luckily, the remainder of Alpha company joined the battle. I decided to take the east high ground. The heavy enfilade fire coming from this hill was disrupting my center position. I moved my 3rd platoon Alpha across east of the highway at a perfect time. I think I disrupted an enemy flanking force before they got in position. 2nd and 3rd platoons worked together by bounding north to the hill’s end. The smoke screen with the wind was perfect and I was able to push to the first house of the main objective. At this point however, my advance had stalled. I decided to leave the remainder of my two platoons in position and start the assault with Bravo company that had just arrived.

I couldn’t believe I was fighting against the clock. I only had 25 minutes before the battle was over. I started to press the center. The amphitheatre defensive position had collapsed in the center and I was able to get several teams to the top of the small hill. The enemy fire had become more sporadic. Time! 4 minutes left. The game breaker came when I had to halt my advance and remove a flank threat to the west. A house that hadn’t shown any signs of enemy, started opening up just as I attempted to push North. The end result, a draw……… I will not let that happen again - I know where the enemy is Now!

I think my problem was I took too long. The next time I will push all of Alpha to the left. Best battle I’ve played so far. Great job, Webwing.

Going left and gaining that hill is absolutely vital. You can basically clear the entire enemy force with one platoon from that hill (if you stock them up with full ammo), and then all that's left is to clearing the buildings - which is the hard part.

Interesting usage of smoke btw. I tried popping smoke to cross the main road from the west side and then into the trenches on the east side, but it proved a little futile.

The smoke screen worked very well. I deployed smoke. Then as the cloud moved I quick rushed a squad into it. As the smoked moved I moved each squad. I never had a casuatly while doing this. Soon, I was at the spot I wanted to be. But when the smoke cleared - Big trouble.

pic1df9.th.png

[ December 08, 2007, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: ThePhantom ]

Originally posted by ThePhantom:

I've had my first go at the crossroads. Wow! Webwing, that was a ground pounding battle of attrition. I received a draw on this one. I will try again in a few. I do rate this one, "As the best so far." Of course I'm a little bias towards infantry but Wow what a challenge. The long distance exchange of rounds going down range was impressive.

ThePhantom,

Thank you very much. You are too generous! This compliment coming from you has a special meaning for me. Like I said I learned a lot from your work. So if this one is any good it's also thanks to you.

Now that I have the mini campaign out I'll finish some other infantry only battles that I started. Those are the ones I really enjoy most! :D

I will not let that happen again - I know where the enemy is Now!

Don't count on this!! :D

In 1.3 there are 2 plans for red so they won't necessarily be in the same spots the next time you play.

I have never been very successful with the smoke. But after what you posted here I'll try it again.

Gotta get some sleep now!

---

[ December 09, 2007, 01:14 AM: Message edited by: Webwing ]

**posible spoiler**

I flanked either side like others but any advance on the objective is near impossible.

Both flanking platoons were pinned down when they tried to grab any strategic high ground it was suicide to send any more troops up to get a good fire position from either hill.

So the mission has bogged down into a stalemate with 30 minutes to go.

Originally posted by bodkin:

**posible spoiler**

I flanked either side like others but any advance on the objective is near impossible.

Both flanking platoons were pinned down when they tried to grab any strategic high ground it was suicide to send any more troops up to get a good fire position from either hill.

So the mission has bogged down into a stalemate with 30 minutes to go.

bodkin,

Thanks for your feedback.

DaveDash did it and without the second Company. It's fiendishly difficult, I'll give you that!

But as you can see in this thread I only got feedback from 5 people so I'm not sure I should water it down for now.

**** Major Spoiler *************

Send a whole platoon to the other side of the road. No shots fired. They go up and stay in position to take the high ground. Use the Javelin and fire on the enemy on the trees. Now attack and take the position! This will really help loads.

There are quite a few more tips that would help you but I believe that the fun is to find out how to do it yourself. The best is that those are sound real world tactics you are using.

Most player are used to rely too much on support from the thick steel. :D

Try the campaign next time!

--

Don't water it down! In fact Webwing try to make it harder. In my Return to Babado scenario there was a major flaw. American units could push beyond the inner compound and get into the Syrian reinforcement zone. It was complete slaughter if this happened.

What I did to stop this from happening was place a blocking force into these areas.

***Spoiler Do Not Read if you haven't played***

Webwing, you've got a similar issue. At start I rushed my scout team west. I setup a base of fire at the center with 1rst platoon. The scouts flanked the hill and removed the enemy force. I took the 2nd reinforcement platoon and crossed highway west then smoked screened along the highway ridge. Quickly I advanced to the end of the west hill. The first house to the objective area was overrun. Here's the kicker. The Syrian flanking force suddenly appeared in the open to my west flank. They were quickly eliminated. At this time several technicals entered my kill zone on the highway at the north end of the map. Too make a long story short, Webwing, you've got to put a blocking force on the far north west hill (Bunker) or a entrenched MG element on the west side of the highway ridge. Once the US player gets in this position the game is over. Somehow you have to come up with something that stops this from happening.

push2se6.th.png

I've got it. Deploy the west Syrian reinforcement element sooner and make them stronger.

[ December 09, 2007, 09:30 AM: Message edited by: ThePhantom ]

MAJOR SPOILER IN THE PICTURE THAT FOLLOWS

SpoilerOne_Crossroads.jpg

ThePhantom,

I agree with you 100%! So much so that I had already done that!!!! :D

The version you are playing is not 1.3, the last I uploaded and that is included in the campaign. Look at the objective area, the green area. It was much bigger before, in your version.

The last version has an enemy squad in an ambush on top of the hill!!!! And if the player is not careful they will kill a whole squad instantly.

My mistake in this version 1.3 though is that I made a plan 2. In this I move the troops around and those guys in the ambush move somewhere else. Also the guys form house 1 move to house 2, crossing the road and exposing themselves to enemy fire. But it gets tougher on the eastern side though.

As I uploaded the campaign I was looking into the statistics at CMMODS.

This refers to the mission Crossroads not the Campaign

This Campaign has had 462,092 attempted downloads for a total of 127,075,213 bytes.

Is that correct???

In 4 days???

That's like 120 downloads a day! And some said nobody was playing this game!!!! :rolleyes:

It's fair to say that most of the downloads were after ThePantom wrote his comments there!!!

Nothing like a good review! :D

--

"bodkin,

Thanks for your feedback.

DaveDash did it and without the second Company. It's fiendishly difficult, I'll give you that!

But as you can see in this thread I only got feedback from 5 people so I'm not sure I should water it down for now."

I don't really want it watered down it is a nice change to have a mission where you are not just going through the motions towards the inevitable victory. Sometimes grinding out a tough draw can be rewarding in its own way.

I agree with Phantom and Bodkin there. I'm still playing (love the fact that it's now a campaign), and having great fun playing the first mission (Elite WEGO), even though I keep getting pasted and have to restart, or at least go back several turns.

Is the mission winnable at Elite level? I don't know, but it's a pretty realistic setup to me, and really enjoyable, making me keep going back for more.

Originally posted by handihoc:

I agree with Phantom and Bodkin there. I'm still playing (love the fact that it's now a campaign), and having great fun playing the first mission (Elite WEGO), even though I keep getting pasted and have to restart, or at least go back several turns.

Is the mission winnable at Elite level? I don't know, but it's a pretty realistic setup to me, and really enjoyable, making me keep going back for more.

Thanks handihoc for the feedback.

I have to confess that I did this one for purely selfish reasons though. This is the kind of mission I like to play.

Having said that it is very rewarding to know that others enjoy it too.

I usually play Veteran RT(I still don't feel confident enough for Elite). But for this one I did also try Elite WEGO for testing. You can win, for sure.

What I think is most enjoyable is that for me this mission brings out a lot of the qualities of the game. How realistic tactics can lead to victory.

I had never used smoke with infantry successfully before and now that ThePhantom mentioned it I noticed that you can use the wind and smoke in your favor.

Split the 9 men squad into 3 teams to avoid ambushes that kill every one. Advance with one team and once the enemy is found use the other two for flanking.

Use the variations in the terrain to your advantage, etc., etc.

There are no fireworks here! It's a struggle. But it sure does feel like the real deal (as far as a game goes and the bugs allow of course.)

I wonder how this is going to play with 1.05!

--

[ December 10, 2007, 07:18 AM: Message edited by: Webwing ]

!!!!!!!!!!SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Rollstoy:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Webwing:

The last version has an enemy squad in an ambush on top of the hill!!!! And if the player is not careful they will kill a whole squad instantly.

Oh, really?

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Best regards,

Thomm "Tactical Defeat" D. </font>