AI setup - Video Tutorial

Version 2 of the tutorial. I changed the graphics for the workflow explanation and moved it to the beginning of the movie where it should have been from the start. Also added an illustration for the facing issue explained in the end of the video.

There have been 35 downloads in the first 12 hours after I posted the link here. If you are one of the users that already downloaded the first version and feel that this is worth another download, it’s already been updated.

I could not manage to make my video capturing software work properly with CMSF. It’s a real shame. Usually I just record in one go. I explain things as I do them and you can actually see things as they are done. In this case I wanted to include some game footage and a lot of other little things but it was not possible. So unfortunately the tutorial is a lot less dynamic than the ones I did for TOW.

AI Setup Video Tutorial - Rapidshare

<a href="http://www.bestsharing.com/files/LsOYr376045/AI_SetUP_CMSF_v104.avi.html" target="_blank">

AI Setup Video Tutorial – Bestsharing </a>

AI Setup in CM:SF Scenario Editor v1.04

Video file, with audio. DivX 6.0 codec.

File size: 37 M

Duration: around 17 min.

Maybe not a good timing, since v1.05 is just around the corner. But I can’t imagine radical changes will occur in the editor.

The AI is probably the most talked about feature of the game and I hope this video will help people understand it better.

</font>

• Assign groups to units</font>
  • Create a plan</font>
  • Add orders to groups</font>
  • Learn about all the options for orders and setup phase.</font>
  • Synchronizing the troops</font>
  • Adding support targets.</font>

If you already use the editor this is probably not for you. Still it covers all the aspects of this section of the editor.

Any mistakes you find please let me know so that I can correct them. This is based on my experience using the editor in CM:SF v1.04.

Hope this helps you designing your missions. Feedback appreciated.

-

[ December 03, 2007, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: Webwing ]

Hey SlapHappy,

You wont believe but MadMatt invited me last week to test it!!!! Pretty cool hah! smile.gif

I'll post my first impressions tomorrow.

I've been reading some of your posts there. Helping loads of people with your fantastic knowledge of all aspects of the game!

And thanks for inviting me again.

--

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Yskonyn:

Good show, Webwing!

So if I am correct there are now 2 tutorial videos, right?

Thanks,

Yes there is one showing how to make a basic mission real quick.

Click here: Tutor 01

It´s buried in the main forum. tongue.gif

They are not very dynamic I´m afraid. I still have trouble capturing video from CMSF. If I didn´t the videos could be so much better.

Anyway hope it helped you and hope to see some scenarios from you in the future! ;)

--

• 2 weeks later...

Nice effort on this video again Webwing.

Is it possible to have an exit zone for the (defending) AI that will only activate after a given time or any other event (like casualty threshold exceeded or so)?

I want to do a Red on Red Afghanistan scenario where I want the Uncons to retreat after certain conditions are met.

Bugger, I expected that answer.

So it will always stay a fight till death or surrender.

But can I have an exit zone that is there from the beginning but I let the AI move there not till a certain time has passed; like for example Order 5: start 10:00 minutes, end 15:00 minutes?

All this testing is too time consuming for my taste, the major hurdle for me to get involved deeper in scenario editing :-|

Basically what you can do with the AI is this:

Move from A to B at certain times.

The behavior while getting there and once there can change but that's basically it.

But can I have an exit zone that is there from the beginning but I let the AI move there not till a certain time has passed; like for example Order 5: start 10:00 minutes, end 15:00 minutes?

Yes, no problem! Use the exit before and after for this.

The timer refers to the mission and not to the way point, remember that.

--

Thank you Webwing.

One more question: How can I make an exit zone for one side?? I could not find it in the manual and in CMx1 it is somewhere in the map setup in the editor but not in CMSF. It doesn't seem to be in the AI plans either, or is an exit zone an objective area at the edge of the map nowadays?

There is no way to get troops out of the map that I know of.

Only dead! smile.gif

You can only paint areas for the troops to go withing the map.

One idea is to have a hill, doesn't have to be a big one only enough to block LOS from the enemy, and send the troops there. Make your map then enlarge it a bit to one side and make the hill there.

Some people make maps with a depression in a border and use that as setup and exit zones.

I think the reasoning for not having exit zones as in CMx1 is that the battles are smaller and there is no reason for troops to get out of the map...

--

That may be the reason.

The point I am having about these exit zones is that I read around a bit in "Bear went over the mountain" which has numerous vignettes from Russian - mujahideen engagements in Afghanistan where the mujahideen always retreated unless they were ambushed by the russians and destroyed.

The same thing the Taleban do nowadays in Afghanistan.

I think the reason for not giving us exit zones is that CMSF is tactical oriented and such retreats take hours or days even with smaller unit formations and that timeframe is way outside of the game's focus :(

Actually I hope that it's something added, not because I expect an entire force on the map to leave, but because some engagements are about getting particular individuals out.

For instance, exiting a Humvee designated as carrying VIPs, or a convoy that has to make it through your grid or a rescue mission, etc. We already have some objectives that can be tied to individual units, so adding an exit objective tied to a unit (or units) wouldn't be a stretch.