QBG map survey

Force sizes I think are linked to map size. Bigger the map parameter the more troops you get but it's also conditioned by the type of battle.

Probe..Attack...Assault gives more troops to the attacker and defender...so playing a Tiny Assault for me is just right for a 30min battle.

Again all this is on raw experience and sitting with CMSF seeing "what does this do?" I could be wrong in what I say but I am pretty sure it's the way it works.

Duration is embedded in the map. The scenario designer implements this in the design stage and I am sure it carries over to the QB.

If any of the BFC lads wish to comment that would be great.

i think force type should (maybe allready does) influence in force sizes. not same ifnantry battles than armoured.

IMO, the game should add an other player controlled parameter that is that, Force Size.

Maybe I want to play in a huge mountain/open map with just a couple of tank platoons per side. If I select huge I may get an huge force hehe. Well, don't wnat to hijack your thread, first the CTDs, now this.

I like small forces on big maps with long duration. I've found that most small force size QB maps drop you (and a knife) into a phonebooth with the enemy.

Just because the force size is small doesn't mean the map should be small.

As the game doesn't let the player choose duration, I'd prefer to see at least 1 hour for company size engagements (add 30 minutes for towns and cities). At least 45 minutes for platoon size (again add 30 minutes for towns and cities).

We try to make maps fit the mission details so not to surprise people to much.

i.e a Tiny map of 1km x 1km etc. It's important to the QBG not to throw people a curveball and what they see is what they should get.

I do sympathise with QB's being a bit...odd.. at the moment and we really are trying to make more maps for Vol3 with more visual appeal, larger maps, smaller maps and well...something for everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

pack 1 & 2 should cover every combination of battle. but the more the better ;) All maps have AI plans. Volume 4 you can play large maps with small/medium/big forces, quite cool actually.

I guess the PBEM pack does not have AI plans, as it's meant to be played H2H, haven't tried it.

Originally posted by jensiii:

I vote for those 4x4km maps with varied terrain and multiple objectives, so we can have those 2h battallionVSbattallion fights

Hmmm.....4km maps......hmmmm....QBG is up to the challenge of making such a beast. Maybe a few. Will chat to Mark about it and see if we can make some Ultra maps at such dimensions.

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing I don't like about the maps is that some have large areas painted with ugly puke green colours. Is this necessary? I'm not a mapper but my enjoyment of the game is reduced when I have to play on a fluro green environment.

Otherwise thank you very much for your work.

Hmm...I cannot remember puke green...maybe it's the differences in how our color is set up on our monitors. Is it marshland, grass or some particular type of terrain that is this shade of green?

I know I did make some maps that were "Euro" lookalikes. Truth be told it's maps of where my Husband grew up as a child, as best his dottled memory serves tongue.gif

No it's not green as in the environment it's really bright green like the green that objective areas are marked with but it looks like there is yellow on top of green or something.

I've seen this on some of the city and town maps for meeting and attack missions on a small to medium scale.