Spotting with specialized equipment

Can anyone explain how best to use the specialized equipment in the game? The HMMVs with the optics etc etc. Do I need to put an FO in one of those vehicles to "use" the equipment? Or does the vehicle on it's own do anything with it?

Very confused.

[ January 05, 2008, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: Phoenix ]

I believe to use the optics on the recon humvees you just need to "open up" with the crew and they will use the device, with the strykers you can use the device from within the vehicle.

Of course we have had no official comment on this so its just what i "think" ive seen.

well they spott moving persons out to 2km and more, thats good enough id say.

i dont think they have X-ray´s installed in this machines to x-ray houses or trenches.

and when i have some in a scenario i let them open up and place them somewhere far away with LOS to the area i want to overwatch. they do good enough at that tasks in my view.

Ok. Did some quick testing.

Syrian veteran infantry: Clear day 0900: 500m range: flat terrain: All spotting units veteran

Syrians hidden in grass, wheat, wheat with trench, brush, brush with trench, craters, woods, woods with trench, and trench in open.

Spotting conducted for 5 minutes.

Infantry squad (Base line): spotted enemy in woods, crater, trench, and grass in from 10 to 30 seconds. Wheat with trench in 2 min. Brush with trench 4 minutes. Unknown contacts in brush within 1 minute. (If equipped with Javelin Launcher same contacts were made within 2 minutes with no unknown contacts)

Recon team: Grass and crater within 20 seconds. Woods within 1 minute. No other contacts within 5 minutes.

Recon Stryker: trench in 30 seconds, brush in under 1 minute. Wheat trench and squad in grass 1.5 min. Trench in Brush 4.5 min

M1 SEP: Grass and open trench within 10 seconds. Woods, craters, Wheat trench, and Brush within 1 min. Brush Trench 2.5 min.

Bradley FIST: Craters, Grass, and Wheat trench within 10 sec. Open trench within 30 seconds. Woods within 1 minute.

Hummer with no gun (only a driver): Troops in crater spotted in 50 seconds and nothing else.

For infantry spotting seems to depend on the number of eyes spotting. A full squad is very good at spotting. Recon squads will see the same targets but take longer.

Vehicle optics do seem to have an effect as the hummer with 1 guy with his Mk1 eyeballs seems to be nearly blind. The M1A2 SEP, however, spots almost as well as an infantry squad.

These figures were taken from only a single test with each system so an average from more data might have different results.

Interestingly, nothing spotted infantry in wheat or a trench in the woods. The infantry were facing away from the spotters and had no hide orders. Spotting units were given short fire arcs to keep them from shooting the targets.

Spotting is probably too effective. A guy trying to hide should be harder to find than that. However, if the guy is not trying to hide, I'd say the numbers are ballpark right.

So it would seem to me the solution is to pressure group BFI to increase the effect of hiding.

The baseline for spotting seems to be a full squad. The best optics, recon vehicles, M1 SEP, etc, seemed to make the vehicle as good as an infantry squad but not appreciably better.

When I get time I will try things such as buttoned/unbuttoned, spotter in cover, etc.

One note, spotter in Hide seemed to have no effect on spotting.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my question: Do modern armies not communicate this info to each other? I'm in the campaign, had a HMMV (w/optics) on a hill overlooking the fairly flat, open terrain. They spot units, but none of my other units can see them, so what's the point? Are we just expected to area fire on these targets? Do these units not use Radios\GPS to communicate enemy positions?

I get a little frustrated when I spot an AT weapon from 500m, and yet my Abrams\Bradley\Stryker can't see them from 100m, even after they've been spotted for several minutes. I've even driven right on top of them to no effect. Seems the old eyeballs in WW2 were better than the fancy comms of modern armies. Doesn't seem right to me.

Maybe I just don't understand how the 'leaders' work in this game. Do they have a command\communication radius or something?

Did a search and found a few posts on this, but it didn't really clarify anything. One post talks of mounting a CFV? I don't get it. Does this mean I run my commander into a CFV and he will transmit the enemy positions he has previously spotted while dismounted, or does he not need to be dismounted in the first place? Does it work for other vehicles besides the Bradley?

Originally posted by SgtMuhammed:

The M1A2 SEP, however, spots almost as well as an infantry squad.

These figures were taken from only a single test with each system so an average from more data might have different results.

Definately sounds like more tests are necessary. As of 1.05, my M1's spotting isn't nearly as effective as infantry.