ATI Bugs Identified!

Bugs (and I mean plural, as in three!) in ATI's drives have been identified. There is no easy, 100% way to work around this. However, it can be. Charles is implementing some things that should make these buggy ATI cards accept the standard API user interface calls, which all other systems handle just fine, with little to no impact.

More info when we have it. A fix should be available very shortly in the form of v1.02.

Steve

Good point tarball smile.gif

Also cmsf can be considered to be a very new game and made with rather small budget. Iam not sure if ATI/Nvidia recieved a copy of the game, so that they could test it properly before release?

[ August 06, 2007, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: sam0t ]

The problems with ATI are the drivers and the newer cards. Vista was a "Red Herring" probably because the newer cards are more likely cound on Vista systems.

The drivers are buggy, there is no doubt about it. That's because Charles has found three bugs after many hours of figuring out what the problem is. It's very clearly a problem that ATI needs to fix. We will starty lobbying them to correct the three bugs. Hopefully they will be responsive since Charles' work around is not ideal. It works, meaning there are no crashes or major slowdowns with mouse behavior, but clicking can sometimes be inaccurate. That's the best it can get for now.

The final round of testing on v1.02 is being conducted now. It should be available within a day or two.

Thanks for hanging in there!

Steve

I'm curious if the ATI drivers are buggy, would it be better to pick up an nvidea card? If so what would battlefront, recommend to run CM-SF on Vista AGP and PCI-express? Cause i would really like to be able to run the game and not have to worry about bad performance, crashes etc, using ATI vid cards. It's bad enough having Vista and opening everything as administrator.

Wayne

KA4,

Check the link down at the bottom of my post and hopefully one of the things listed will help you out.

Wburn,

nVidia has its share of driver problems too, however it is my personal belief that they tend to have fewer problems than ATI overall. Having said that, we have a problem with some nVidia cards at the moment that need to be worked out. In particular the 8xxx family of cards. Charles will hopefully get that fixed up soon as we have a new system with an 8800 card on its way to him right now.

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

The problems with ATI are the drivers and the newer cards. Vista was a "Red Herring" probably because the newer cards are more likely cound on Vista systems.

The drivers are buggy, there is no doubt about it. That's because Charles has found three bugs after many hours of figuring out what the problem is. It's very clearly a problem that ATI needs to fix. We will starty lobbying them to correct the three bugs. Hopefully they will be responsive since Charles' work around is not ideal. It works, meaning there are no crashes or major slowdowns with mouse behavior, but clicking can sometimes be inaccurate. That's the best it can get for now.

The final round of testing on v1.02 is being conducted now. It should be available within a day or two.

Thanks for hanging in there!

Steve

Thank you Steve, that seems reasonable.

For the record, I have an ATI card based on their R580 processor (released January 2006). The brand-name for this graphics processor is the Radeon X1900XTX (512 Mb video memory, 650 processor clock, 775 memory clock).

Since this processor predates Vista retail by a year, I am not certain if this qualifies as a "recent ATI card" or not. The drivers obviously have OpenGL problems, so I hope ATI steps up and works with you.

Otherwise, I guess I'll go back to nVidia after nearly 10 years with ATI.

Looking for forward to a fix.

I am sorry that you guys had this one slip through the cracks, I am not sure if you would have held up release if you had of known about this Vista/ATI problem, but you certainly would have known how "no go" this situation is.

Jeff

Originally posted by peleprodigy:

The fact that you guys don't even have an 8800 card makes me fear that issues with that card won't be fixed in the ensuing patch. bummer if true.

The truth is, and by their own admission, Battlefront just doesn't have the resources to do exhaustive hardware compatibility testing. We can either see a hike in the retail price (these guys would have to spread the costs of professional testing across all units sold in order to make their own earnings projections), or we can live with how it goes down now: the first several release versions end up being an extended beta.

A guy like me was too stupid to have learned from previous experience that pre-ordering a Battlefront title is a no-no. I should have waited a few months until the game was stabilized. My fault. Now, we could have a more air-tight (but not perfect) game at a higher sticker price, or we can continue status quo. This is the way it's going to be - no wonder so many developers jumped ship to consoles - in fact, I wonder to what extent consoles have lessened quality control at places like ATI and nVidia?

i see the point about exhaustive testing, and hitting every hardware combo imaginable (which is impossible). that is one thing.

but i do think it seems reasonable that they would at least try the game out on a system using the lowest cost member of the current generation of video cards. that would not be under my definition of exhaustive, but rather seems bare bones.

Still not able to play even with the ATI 7.7 drivers, the dual core optimizer and CMSF's latest patch.

My problem is one of constant screen flickering to the point that I have a constant strobe effect that gives you a headache trying to get to the exit option. I usually give up and go to Task Manager and shut it down manually.

Can anyone help or am i doomed to :

1. wait and hope for the next patch

2. request a refund?

good luck getting help from ATI, i have a

AMD64X2 3800+, win XP PRO SP2

ATI x1600 PRO

and send at least 5 error reports a week to ATI about thier crashing graphics card and/or drivers, and thats only the ones that were recoverable. I get crashes just sitting idle in desktop and got one while writing the 1st draft of this. Any... way...i like the game and look forward to more hours enjoying it and frustration with AMD/ATI .......................... never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, because often that is......................

Originally posted by MikoyanPT:

atacms

what is the grafic card you are using ?

Hard to help without knowing your sistem specs.

I've got:

Vista Ultimate 32 bit

ATI X1900 All in wonder 256MB card

ATI/AMD 7.7 drivers

dual core AMD x64 4200+ 2.2ghz

4 GB of RAM

250GB hard drive

• 2 weeks later...

My menu is somewhat crazy, button appear and disappear, and my big interest, the scenario editor cannot be used beacuse icons and button disappear from time to time.

And also (i play 1.02) the shadows are very buggy in action...

I have radeon x1950xt.

Anyone else have this annoying menu bug?

edit. I have newest drivers and so on.

• 3 weeks later...