BF, any chance stability is being addressed?

Is anyone else having stability problems?

A significant amount of time (probably 50% of the time) that I save the game between campaign missions (when it automatically saves), the game will crash out. This renders that save game useless, and I have to revert to an old save. Additionally, a significant amount of time I load a game, it crashes. And sometimes (probably 40-50% of the time) that I'm in a mission, CMSF will crash out, or sometimes simply hang. For the record, I am having zero problems with any other game or application (I'm a Systems Engineer in real life, and do this stuff daily).

Every time, its the same thing:

"CM Shock Force.exe has generated errors and will close"

I get the following in my Event Log (application):

Evend ID 1000

Faulting application cm shock force.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module cm shock force.exe, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x000e1a39.

0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat

0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail

0010: 75 72 65 20 20 63 6d 20 ure cm

0018: 73 68 6f 63 6b 20 66 6f shock fo

0020: 72 63 65 2e 65 78 65 20 rce.exe

0028: 30 2e 30 2e 30 2e 30 20 0.0.0.0

0030: 69 6e 20 63 6d 20 73 68 in cm sh

0038: 6f 63 6b 20 66 6f 72 63 ock forc

0040: 65 2e 65 78 65 20 30 2e e.exe 0.

0048: 30 2e 30 2e 30 20 61 74 0.0.0 at

0050: 20 6f 66 66 73 65 74 20 offset

0058: 30 30 30 65 31 61 33 39 000e1a39

0060: 0d 0a ..

Thoughts? FYI, Windows XP SP2, BF 1.01 download version. Also, I'm setting processor affinity to one proc.

[ August 03, 2007, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: Cavtroop ]

This is getting crazy. I sent an email to support@battlefront.com, and you told me to come to the forums for help. I have, but have not received any tech support to date.

Almost every time I same a mission after I complete a campaign battle, I get this crash. This means I have to reload an old, working save, and 'cease fire' until I get to the point where I was - or I could replay all of these missions, but that is tedious.

Is there anyone from BF reading this, and providing any kind of tech support, or are we hanging out here on our own? Even just an acknowledgment that you've read this, and added it to your list would be nice. I know you are probably focused on the ATI/Visat/OpenGL issues right now.

Can you tell us your system specs in detail? That would help the troubleshooting greatly.

There seems to be known issues with dual-core processors and ATI 3D cards. And as far as I know, BF is working on a fix.

[ August 05, 2007, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: sam0t ]

Sure -

Lenovo/IBM T60p

ATI FireGL V5200 (same as X1600 mobile vid card) w/512MB ram

Latest vid drivers striaght from IBM (I've tried various drivers, from omegadrivers, to ATI reference drivers, to various IBM drivers, same problem with all of them)

2GB system ram

Centrino Duo processor

I'm playing CMSF with the affinity set to one processor.

I'm now completely unable to save ANY campaign game - it immediately crashes out with the info above. So basically, CMSF is completely unplayable for me.

Sounds like the ATI issue to me.

Iam in a same boat as you with a bit different kinda problem. My game freezes everytime 5-10mins into the game, its most likely the ATI problem as it happens with affinity set on one processor also. I got AMD X2 processor and ATI x1900xtx 3D card here.

Hopefully BF can get this stuff sorted out quickly with the 1.02 patch.

I have been playing the main campaign and I have yet to complete mission 2 (attack on the airfield) due to crashes. I have tried about 3 times so far and they have all crashed around the time my men take the Airfield HQ. I don't have an ATI card.

My Machine Spec:

AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core 3800+

nVidia Geforce 7600GT

2GB RAM

Windows XP Home Service Pack 2

I am setting CPU affinity to CPU1 and CPU Priority to Normal. I don't have the AMD Dual Core Optimizer installed.

Originally posted by sam0t:

Sounds like the ATI issue to me.

Iam in a same boat as you with a bit different kinda problem. My game freezes everytime 5-10mins into the game, its most likely the ATI problem as it happens with affinity set on one processor also. I got AMD X2 processor and ATI x1900xtx 3D card here.

Hopefully BF can get this stuff sorted out quickly with the 1.02 patch.

I have the same exact problem crashes every 5 to 10 minutes and I have no dual core that's just a runaround excuse to me...seems battlefront can't make / get any ati compatible games anymore thus I will have to completely stop purchasing any from them and buy games from companies who can make a game that works with ati and not nvidia only ;) that is now 2 new releases in a row with the same fraking problems, compatibility issues and major bugs....maybe if they actually properly beta tested with more then like 2 peeps with nvidia cards....can't blame us for being cheesed off about this stuff...

The ATI issue is they can't make a game that works with ati obviously and since I have no issues with ANY other games with my ATI, and I can list them all from battlefield 1942 onward over the last 4 years then there is no obvious ati issue, I think it's more of a deflect the blame from battlefront and the makers issue...common sense people..

Please stop releasing beta stage software this is getting kind of ridiculous :rolleyes:

[ August 06, 2007, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: KiloAlpha4 ]

i also have a crash problem i didnt whine about becouse its didnt showed any "pattern" or so to speak but i will write it down here.

i just had 2 situations where the game crashed at different points of turns.

1st,

the 2nd campain mission. only "abnorma" thing is a stucked stryker in rubble.

when i hit the GO button it crashes. when i alter some waypoints it crashes some sekonds or more into the turn.

2nd,

Al Amarah scenario. again in mid turn(unfortunately right befor the last objective)it crashes. everytime i load the turn and plot waypoints different or cancle em it crashes at different points of the turn.

i can save, load and everything else wihtout a single crash so far but this 2 situations gave me crashes. i still have the saves in case they are interessting to examine.

We're aware of some sort of problem with Campaign saves. Unfortunately, we are not able to track it down yet. The corrupted save games only show the scene of the crime, so to speak, not the crime itself. Often it is possible to reconstruct what happened from such a file, but generally it is very hard. Kinda like waking up in a dark closet with a bump on your head. You know where you are, and that you don't want to be there, but you have no idea how you got there.

To figure this out we basically need some sort of hint what to look for. There is obviously something "wrong" at the time the game is saved. Not all the time, just some of the time. These are the kind of bugs that are very hard to track down. We'll stay on it though.

KiloAlpha4,

The ATI issue is they can't make a game that works with ati obviously and since I have no issues with ANY other games with my ATI, and I can list them all from battlefield 1942 onward over the last 4 years then there is no obvious ati issue, I think it's more of a deflect the blame from battlefront and the makers issue...common sense people..
We've tracked it down to three bugs in ATI's OpenGL drivers. This is a sure thing, not speculation. The reason your other games don't crash is they are probably using DirectX or aren't using mouse clicks the way we have to (a flight sim, for example, won't use mouseclicks like a wargame). Half of our testers, including me, have ATI cards that work perfectly fine. But they are older cards, so it is obviously something to do with the interaction of driver and chipset. Version 1.02 has a work around for this, but we can't do more than that until ATI fixes the problems on their end. They have been alerted to the problem and have all the documentation they need to fix it. Whether they do or not, we have no control over it.

Steve

Steve -

Thanks for the input, good to know you are aware of it, and looking into it (even if it is obscure and difficult).

Not sure if it helps, but I've seen this both manually saving a game in the middle of a battle (i.e.: for dinner or whatnot) and with the auto-save at the beginning of a campaign mission.

Appreciate the reply!

cav

Thanks. Yeah, it does appear to be something about the state of the game at the time of saving that is the problem, not the save itself. That's why it is tricky to track down because it doesn't appear that everybody is having the same problem. I'll do some experimentation over the weekend and see if I can reproduce it myself. I didn't used to have problems with it so I'm not hopeful, but who knows!

Steve