Massive performance problems

My system (Win XP SP2, AMD 2600+, 1 GiG RAM, Nvidia 7600GS) seems unable to run the game with anything than tiny scenarios. During the "ambush tutorial" mission I get around 10 FPS in views 1-5, settings at "faster", resolution 1024x768, 2xFSAA.

Furthermore, the game seems to "hang" for an instant quite often when pressing a command button.

Drivers are up-to-date, and I keep my system religiously clean.

:(

Tried FSAA off and although I got 1-2 FPS more, performance is still abysmal. I even turned off the shadows (they look kinda crappy anyway) and managed to increase FPS in the aformentioned scenario to around 15. Still unplayable, especially in RTS mode. Tried another larger scenario-> 10 FPS.

The "ATGM ambush" scenario runs fine (25-40+ FPS) but if I'm restricted to platoon-sized battles with half a dozen units on mini-maps I'd be very disappointed indeed.

I have largely eliminated the performance problems by installing the latest Nvidia drivers (released 7/26), switching off shadows and turning off FRAPS, which seems to cause a number of problems, including small freezes whenever a key is pressed.

I can now play the game on balanced settings with 2xFSAA at 1024x768.

Originally posted by ParaBellum:

I have largely eliminated the performance problems by installing the latest Nvidia drivers (released 7/26), switching off shadows and turning off FRAPS, which seems to cause a number of problems, including small freezes whenever a key is pressed.

I can now play the game on balanced settings with 2xFSAA at 1024x768.

You installed 162.18?

Can you edit quality settings like AA/AF in the NVidia control panel?