New Mission uploaded

Webwing

--

First of all thanks to War_Raven and also to Wolfseven and FinnN for helping me out with testing and specially with suggestions that improved this mission a lot.

Fictional battle. Mostly infantry. If you like tank battles you'll be frustrated with this one. My intention was to have a massive number of troops at the same time on the map. Unfortunately anything more than 300 and the game freezes on me!

My first TOW finished mission done from scratch. Experimenting and trying all stuff I could! A learning project so to speak. :D

I’d love to have feedback from people that play this mission. Hope you enjoy it.

That’s about it.

http://www.cmmods.com/

Thanks, I'll download it tonight and try it out. I find it kind of strange that TOW has been out three weeks and that so few custom scenarios are out.

I haven't really looked at the editor in detail, but it looks to me like a lot of programming mind set is needed. Any time named variables and functions are involved, I black out.

Is the player on the offensive or the defensive?

In my experience, when the computer is on the offensive it retardedly throws at you all it has in a direct assault no matter what are his chances.

I have seen more than once 100 infantry getting slaughtered approaching a trench, and those 20 left behind will also charge without any problems.

So I kinda prefer when the player is on the offensive, especially when going against the odds (because usually the AI and scripting will just stay still and get picked off one by one).

Maybe I should give a bit more info about this mission.

This is not a strait “got to the village and take it” kind of mission.

Also this is not a historically accurate battle.

It's neither a tank battle with uber tanks or with loads of artillery.

Now that I told you what this is not, I’ll tell you what it is. 

As you start you have 9 infantry squads, 1 staff squad, 1 tank, and 2 halftracks.

There is a Russian reccon jeep patrolling the area. You must spot it and destroy it. If you fail to do so he will get back to the village and call an air strike. That’s why you start the mission with all of your troops with hold fire orders.

As you hit the jeep you give away your presence. The Russians will then send a “probe” to check your strength and to delay your advance, while they prepare the defences of the village.

The Russians on the outpost on top of the hill will also star targeting your troops.

Your commanding officer is a major with high skills. Does that affect the morale of all your soldiers in TOW? If it does then you better be careful. The Russians have assigned a sniper to hunt him down.

So, while your main objective is to take the village, there is lot going on to give some atmosphere and specially some good fighting even before you set your troops to take the village.

SPOILER ---- SPOILER

If you haven’t played the mission I advise you not to read the following paragraphs.

The Russian jeep: as soon as it sees you it will turn around and head for the village. It can show up in 3 different routes. It’s a random event. So if you replay this mission don’t expect him coming from the same direction. It shouldn’t be difficult to destroy it.

The “probe”, is a is2 tank and an inf squad and also can arrive from 3 different paths. And will not react in the same way every time.

There is an ambush prepared by the Russians for you. Now either they can really ambush you and start shooting as you get in range or they might retreat to a spot closer to the village. Again, a random event.

If you take heavy losses, have less than 50 men, you’ll get reinforcements: two inf squads in some Opels so that the troops don’t have to walk to the front line. This is the good news. The bad news is that if you have more than 50 men attacking the village the Russians will call for reinforcements and they will get another 2 squads that will try to attack your flank.

The idea in this mission was to have a good challenge with a lot a variety and some elements that would add realism and immersion.

I also wanted to avoid tanks since almost all missions in TOW involve many tanks.

I guess that is about it. Hope you enjoy it.

Just made the mission.

Very fun to play.

Highlights, get that is2 from behind with panzershrek, took two point blank hits, no crewman survived.

The problem is that i used my vehicles as bait and lost the pz35 and 1 halftrack.

Took the hill, flanking the bunker and taking it out from behind.

Captured the at gun.

Then a bloody slaughter taking the village.

Lost 77 men, taken out 138 russians.

Nice work webwing, you just proved this game works with infantry.

I really had fun playing it.

Originally posted by MikoyanPT:

Just made the mission.

Very fun to play.

Highlights, get that is2 from behind with panzershrek, took two point blank hits, no crewman survived.

The problem is that i used my vehicles as bait and lost the pz35 and 1 halftrack.

Took the hill, flanking the bunker and taking it out from behind.

Captured the at gun.

Then a bloody slaughter taking the village.

Lost 77 men, taken out 138 russians.

Nice work webwing, you just proved this game works with infantry.

I really had fun playing it.

Good the hear that!!

I have trouble myself with the is2! I increased the skills of the panzershrek soldiers to help.

I was worried also if it would require too much micromanaging with so many troops. But I guess this is part of the fun.

-

Webwing I keep crashing at the piont were I start to take the villiage?

I'm guessing its because the vehicle got away but I'll try to reload the mission maybe something to do with the old sav's.

Originally posted by Wolfseven:

Webwing I keep crashing at the piont were I start to take the villiage?

I'm guessing its because the vehicle got away but I'll try to reload the mission maybe something to do with the old sav's.

You mean you didn't blow up the jeep? :D

Actually that's good because every time I test it I forget and blow the jeep! So I don't really know if there might be a bug if you don't get him. I'll check this out when I get a chance. But like you said it could be a conflict with previous versions.

It is a bit more difficult now to spot the jeep since it can came from one of 3 routes.

-

Webwing

Here is a link to the current ASL publisher. The page linked has archived .pdf files with dozens of Advanced Squad Leader scenarios.

You could use these to design some new stuff. These are at least fairly historical. Good background on the battle is given, plus it actually tells you what the historical outcome of the battle was.

Also:

Creating new unit types. Actually pretty simple.

Examples: There is no LMG separate unit. Simply create the entire Inf squad. Give the first guy an MG-42 or 34 and the second guy a rifle. Delete the other 9 grunts. Voila. Instant two man LMG unit. Too bad there's no way to give the assistant some extra MG ammo.

You can also create two and three man units based around the Panzerschrek or an anti-tank rifle.

4-5 man half-squads with rifles and/or SMG's

Recon groups? 6-8 men all armed with MP-40's and maybe some AT grenades. Lots of possibilities.

Originally posted by SlapHappy:

Webwing

Here is a link to the current ASL publisher. The page linked has archived .pdf files with dozens of Advanced Squad Leader scenarios.

where is the link???????????????????

Originally posted by Sabai:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by SlapHappy:

Also:

Too bad there's no way to give the assistant some extra MG ammo.

actually there is , you can choose " MG rifleman" he's got a 98K and MG ammo </font>

But will he pick it up automatically. That type of micromanagement is sucking the enjoyment out of the game for me.

btw, can you imagine being the assistant MG guy. MG runs out of ammo and the gunner pulls a pistol turns around and shoots you so he can get more ammo. Not many volunteers for that job.

"Yes, but how doest it work if he was not K.I.A.?

The Mg-42 run out of ammo and my 2. gunner have a few belts ammo but he doesnt reload the Mg, same with infantryman for panzeschreck."

Once out of ammo you would have to manually tell the rifle/assistant to drop the ammo and then the MGer to pick it up. I see no other way to do it without micromanagement.