Battle for Moscow Add-on announced... and it's free!

Moon

Originally posted by Moon:

You can make new missions already with the mission editor that ships with TOW. Allows yout to select an existing map and do a completely different mission on it with different forces and goals. The Map Editor is there to, additionally, be able to manipulate the maps, too.

Martin

I just hope its also possible to remove objects like trenches and houses.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, you cannot change the terrain mesh itself. Or at least I see now way to do it, but then the documenation is just being translated/edited now, so I might be missing some details. (I see a hotkey for "flatten" and some other interesting things but I don't know right now what it does; probably will know more in the next days)

Martin

Originally posted by Moon:

No, you cannot change the terrain mesh itself. Or at least I see now way to do it, but then the documenation is just being translated/edited now, so I might be missing some details. (I see a hotkey for "flatten" and some other interesting things but I don't know right now what it does; probably will know more in the next days)

Martin

Is it also possible to add and remove the 3d grass?

btw: a passability function would also be very nice, i.e. you can place some trees and make them impossible to roll over with vehicles or tanks.

Originally posted by FinnN:

How about smoke shells/grenades from tanks and other sources? If an add-on adds a new set of environments to ToW that's great, but it'd be nice to see the open countryside battles rounded off and there are numerous occasions where you have no choice but to attack in situations where smoke would be a big help.

Have fun

Finn

I agree. Smoke should be in the next patch/upgrade/whatever.

• 2 weeks later...

I started wargaming in 1968 or 69 when a buddy of mine bought an Avalon Hill game called Anzio and we moved from boardgames to computer games when computers had evolved to 486 level , that was when computer wargames started to surpass the detail and visual presentation that i had with the old 'map on the table' and im not all that impressed so far with ToW , the graphics are excellent, but it is a big step backwards from the combat mission series(the best tactical wargame system that has ever been invented, combining the best of turn based with the best or realtime), back almost to the days of "close combat a bridge too far" ,usable map is way too small(and being able to see into the distance but not send a unit there is very very frustrating) , forces involved are way too small(almost the same level of individual detail is avail in CM but on a vastly larger map and unit size), and command and control is way too difficult, also , there is no provision to replay what just happened to your unit in 1 part of the map while you were concentrating on the situation in another part of the map , he just ends up dead and you have no chance to find out why. It is the video replay ability in CM games and the 'stop every 60 secs' system that enables you to control a vastly larger battle force in a game with such a high degree of detail . Inf in ToW have virtually no effective cover anywhere on the field except for hiding in deep grass or wheat field , They cant occupy buildings and that is rediculous, there has never been a war game with Inf in it where Inf cant occupy buildings, the stone walls that should be excellent cover seem to block line of outgoing fire even if it is a low wall but dont seem to provide much protection from incoming fire unless line of sight is completely blocked(high wall). I think the programming time would have been better spent upgrading CM series of games to this level of graphics quality , add the new 'shell burst' effects(very well done in ToW) , add the Armour graphics(altho CM armour is already very high quality, this is a step up in ToW) , and all 10 Inf as graphics individuals to the combat mission series of games and it would be a much better game then ToW . i would also like to see the CM series maps enlarged to 10km x 10km size and the maximum number of units in a battle enlarged to 3 Inf battalions( Inf Brigade) and a tank Squadron per side . Add in the graphics improvements and some of the functionality from Theater of war(individual inf team members) ,re-do the 1st 2 versions of CM as upgraded add-ons to CMAK rather than 3 separate games so it all becomes 1 big ubergame with terrain and equiptment and AO's from all 3 games available to create maps with. Im not just knocking your work here , i bought 2 copies of ToW and i dont consider it a loss, and i will also do anything i can to support future work on this game , but you already have an unbeatable gaming system in the CM series , why not add the best parts of this program into the CM series and end up with a tactical wargame that no other game in the world can hold a candle to smile.gif