[Review] Theatre of War on TTGamer

flintlock

There's a new review of Theatre of War, on TTGamer. You may access the review by clicking here.

Excerpt:

TTGamer's review:

Theatre of War offers something that, for the right type of gamer, is basically unmatched. Whether you can't get enough of World War II gameplay or you fancy yourself to be a RTS and warfare strategist extraordinaire, or if you just want a real challenge, Theatre of War is here for you - its emphasis on real world strategy and its ultra realistic approach means it won't be for everyone, but for those of whom it is for, make no mistake, this is quality RTS gaming at its most authentic.

I must be that "right type" of gamer, as I'm thoroughly enjoying ToW.

come you have to admit, this is not the "finest WWII RTS ever made" as they claim it. and the review doesnt take into account trees not having any LOS effect. although it did mention infantry not having much cover. its just not the Bruttally realistic game the review claims it to be.

I think it is a fair review.

They said that is the most realistic ww2 RTS ever made. RTS means real time strategy, and it is for sure the most realistic real time strategy game ever made, Call of Heroes and others are not realistic, and combat mission is not real time strategy, it is turn based.

I think the review is informative, people who like simple point and click games, stay away, people who are hardcore grognards that like to play a game like a board game, stay away.

For Grognards who like things more fast paced and fun, or RTS gamers looking for something more serious, this is your game.

I believe this game will attract many new players to the Battlefront universe, and that is refreshing.

Originally posted by MikoyanPT:

I think it is a fair review.

They said that is the most realistic ww2 RTS ever made. RTS means real time strategy, and it is for sure the most realistic real time strategy game ever made, Call of Heroes and others are not realistic, and combat mission is not real time strategy, it is turn based.

I think the review is informative, people who like simple point and click games, stay away, people who are hardcore grognards that like to play a game like a board game, stay away.

For Grognards who like things more fast paced and fun, or RTS gamers looking for something more serious, this is your game.

I believe this game will attract many new players to the Battlefront universe, and that is refreshing.

Realistic and real time are another design flaw. LOS across the maps is so long and there is no way for a non-computer player to figure out LOS (invisible trees and stone walls), the game play mechanics would have been better served with a wego interface.

Another review by some tart who's played the game for five minutes, been overwhelmed by the eye-candy, but doesn't actually have a clue what he's talking about.

Realistic? That's the funniest thing I've heard since watching a Dylan Moran video. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Destraex:

Billybob apart from LOS how is this game not realistic?

Rather than me write yet another laundry-list why don't you go read all the other posts in all the other threads, that should give you a good idea.

God, I hate it when devs put Soviet guns on German tanks and German armor on Soviet tanks. If you get my meaning.

Originally posted by rune:

Well considering I had authors check the guns and penetration value, show me one soviet gun on a German tank and vice versa. A single one.

Rune

Too many Tigers going down to T34s, not enough T34s going down to Tigers. So far I'm seeing roughly 50-50, and that's plain wrong.

Course, it would help if the player's Tigers could hit the side of a barn, much less actually spot a T34 in plain view. Computer AI has no such limitations...any range, any angle, any obstacle, one-shot kills abound.

Game's a turd, end of.

No, you said and i quote:

"God, I hate it when devs put Soviet guns on German tanks and German armor on Soviet tanks. If you get my meaning. "

Again, name me one, one gun. Don't change the subject.

As for:

"Too many Tigers going down to T34s, not enough T34s going down to Tigers. So far I'm seeing roughly 50-50, and that's plain wrong."

Give me the range you are fighting at. How are you deploying your tanks? What ammo are you using? Are the t34s hull down? Are you aiming at any point?

You don't like the game, and that is fine. Not everyone liked CMBO or CMBB. However, making things up or not researching is bull too.

Rune

I'd have to agree with Rune. I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary. Tigers perform as I would expect them to... quite well but not invulnerable. T-34s perform slightly better then in CM, but then again I always held that CMBB was quite harsh on Soviet gun performance. and the CMBB v ToW difference isn't very big.

I have the sneaky suspicion that it's either bad tactics or unrealistic expectations about the überness of German armour.

BillyBob said:

Another review by some tart who's played the game for five minutes, been overwhelmed by the eye-candy, but doesn't actually have a clue what he's talking about.
This circus monkey has been registered to the forum for 3 days and has posted 30+ times....all angry flame fest BS. Do you have a life?... for God sakes man? What about friends, family, girlfriend, dog.... anything?

I'm no fanboy. I've had some disagreements with Moon and Steve on this forum over the years.

I thought the lack of strategic layer limited the potential of the CM series.

I was also very disappointed with the choice of subject matter for CMSF. I voiced my dissent and took loads of heat.

The difference is, his posts are a rude, unproductive, attention starved, rants that make it difficult to take anything meaningful from this discussion.

He should climb out of his parents basement and get some fresh air.

I've probably just made things worse.... He'll spend the rest of the week writing angry responses. Apparently thats what he lives for. I won't read them though... I'll be busy playing ToW.

do those reviewers have ties with BF or what? it sounds more like the official description on the TOW website, then a critics review...

ofcourse if he compares it to command and conquer then its a good game, but its defenately not the most realistic RTS!! i doubt the reviewer has played the game. he can like the game, as many people do. but there is not a single note on the disfunctional MP, no cover for inf...

they used to call stuff like that propaganda

Originally posted by Directive#21:

This circus monkey has been registered to the forum for 3 days and has posted 30+ times....all angry flame fest BS. Do you have a life?... for God sakes man? What about friends, family, girlfriend, dog.... anything?

The difference is, his posts are a rude, unproductive, attention starved, rants that make it difficult to take anything meaningful from this discussion.

The 'circus monkey' will be out on his new 1000cc FireBlade giving it large on the road with his mates.

Not hanging here listening to your BS.

Rude is he? What do you consider your effort then?

Same old scenario; people raise genuine issues then get set upon by the brown nosing fanbois en masse.

The title is as bent as your sense of self awareness you cheeky little chimp you.

Just because you decided to crawl from under your rock to share your profoundly imaginative insult don't imagine we 'whiners all live in our parents basment.

I feel you're after a fez?

It's the rude boys who mob any dissenters en masse that turn the forums to flames.

All of which changes nothing. The title is BS as it stands. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by BillyBob:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by rune:

Well considering I had authors check the guns and penetration value, show me one soviet gun on a German tank and vice versa. A single one.

Rune

Too many Tigers going down to T34s, not enough T34s going down to Tigers. So far I'm seeing roughly 50-50, and that's plain wrong.

</font>That's funny, because I just played the Operation Citadel level, and I had two Tigers dispatch 15 T-34s without breaking a sweat.

Originally posted by Krull:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Directive#21:

... blah blah blah I'm a stupid jackass that needs to learn English... The title is as bent as your sense of self awareness you cheeky little chimp you.

</font>LMAO. I gotta remember that insult, that's a good one!

Originally posted by Krull:

The forums i usually hang on would frown upon quoting someone having messed with their words.

Quote me if you feel like it but don't quote me having replaced my text with your own.

Terrible form old chap.

Would be all around better if you went back to those forums again.... This game is clearly not for you.