TOW's future?

panzermartin

I love the details of this game. It has all the things that could make CM the wargame of the century. Beatiful, crisp visuals, attention to fine details, some really nice touches on landscape like small cottages etc, visual vehicle damage and a lot of things I haven't yet discovered since I'm stuck with the demo due to corrupted D/ls. smile.gif

On the other side there is some loose feel in TOW's combat...units not obeying your orders, jagdpanthers rotating their rears to the enemy, no waypoints(!!), tricky LOS/LOF(I'm not yet convinced that trees play any role in concealment) etc... Occupying buildings would be great in this game, since besides trenches, there is virtually no other place to fortify your infantry. I suspect that a single scout car can wipe out a whole inf company, if they are in any other place except a trench-TOW would easily stand for Trench ol' Warfare :D

Despite these, I think TOW is a quality wargame. There is definetely much care, work and talent put in this product and its character is unique much as CM's is.

I'm just hoping that 1C and Battlefront will continue to support TOW despite its problematic course and dated engine perhaps and gradually shape it into a wargame classic.

PS. my wishlist:

(Apart from buildings/on map mortars)

-Waypoints

-Dense patches of Woods that block Los and tank movement.

-More cover/concealment for troops.

-More intense audio responses when your troops are in danger/under fire etc.

-Map editor

-Mobile Heavy Mgs(why not??)

I totally agres!!!

It is a fantastic game, and with a few adjustments it will be the best. smile.gif

And this is the most important:

Quote:

-Waypoints

-Dense patches of Woods that block Los and tank movement.

-More cover/concealment for troops.

With the background of both 1C and us, there should be no question about continued support. Of course the first focus lies on fixing up some of the people that have problems getting it to run, and then we'll take a look into the future smile.gif

Martin

Originally posted by Moon:

With the background of both 1C and us, there should be no question about continued support. Of course the first focus lies on fixing up some of the people that have problems getting it to run, and then we'll take a look into the future smile.gif

Martin

I think that game is fantastic. The camera control is done better in game called Heroes 5. Anybody played that game? It's all controled by mouse, in ToW I must use keyboard as well. Big problem is lock ups, freezing, I would have to defragment HD now as I see some problems now. In the second German misssion Dunkirk I am having lock ups all the time. But I've read some posts that there is a way to save the game during missions. Maybe there is a memory leak or something.

Other than that mission are cool but why Germans doesn't have any AT guns in first mission only tanks and infantry. Hmmm, OK those 37 mm were crap anyway. ;)

I am enjoying the game but game froze just when I was winning in Dunkirk, yes infantry should charge at those 75mm.

Mario

Originally posted by Chazman:

I absolutley loved the whole CM series, but I'm sorry to say, I will be very sceptical of Battlefront from now on, for saddling itself with this crap game!

Well, many will not agree with you.

I think that even EA will be envious on Theatre of War value as a product. I think more of Threatre of War as a mainstrem game.

That has a advantages and disantvantages (sp?).

But, EA or Activision are no more big evil. Even them have realized in one part that gamers wants playable, fun games - look at Battlefield or Total War series, in spite of being mainstream it would be foolish to call them "bad" games. Production as well is top notch there.

Battlefront.com is a publisher and developer. By publishing Theatre of War they made maybe best move in their history. Would you rather like that ToW is published by EA or Battlefront.com?

Even if some people don't like this game it is better to understand that it is good that BF published this game. This is good for whole wargaming hobby on PC, believe it or not. And BF.com must pay the bills so why on Earth they must stick only with hardcore wargames? Sure CM series was really good and I am also fan of that series but I don't see anything wrong in Theatre of War. It is a good product that may become just better in a few month. So there is really no point in being negative here.

Mario

I guess it can't be said enough: ToW was not conceived, planned, coded, and developed by BFC. BFC is the publisher. All BFC could do is make recommendations. And despite ToW's faults, I am glad someone finally did publish it.

It aint the cutest baby, but it is sure fun to play with.

"With the background of both 1C and us, there should be no question about continued support. Of course the first focus lies on fixing up some of the people that have problems getting it to run, and then we'll take a look into the future

Martin"

"fixing up some of the people..." ??? I think I know what you mean, but that sounds a little frightening if you read it literally. Does this involve FBI wedgies?

I think that game is fantastic. The camera control is done better in game called Heroes 5. Anybody played that game? It's all controled by mouse, in ToW I must use keyboard as well. Big problem is lock ups, freezing, I would have to defragment HD now as I see some problems now. In the second German misssion Dunkirk I am having lock ups all the time. But I've read some posts that there is a way to save the game during missions. Maybe there is a memory leak or something.

Other than that mission are cool but why Germans doesn't have any AT guns in first mission only tanks and infantry. Hmmm, OK those 37 mm were crap anyway.

I am enjoying the game but game froze just when I was winning in Dunkirk, yes infantry should charge at those 75mm.

Mario

I'm having the same problems with the game "locking up" or freezing up on me. Just when I start winning a battle it locks up, very frustrating. I have the reccommended spec except for my proccessor which is a P4 2.6 ghz. Maybe that's the problem? I hope they optimize TOW to run better on a variety of machines in the future patches.

I must say even with my complaints, I am quite enjoying the game. Bloodstar44 got it right, this game may not be completely for the hardcore, but it appeals to a wider base then the hardcore can provide. Its somewhere between CM and COH. Personally I loved the CM missions, but I could not always get myself into all the missions. The CM games are probably the most installed and uninstalled games I have bought given to how quickly I can hate it then crave it.

This game is a nice change of pace, and has lots of things I always wanted in the combat mission games, and it also has lost some of those things. The Maps may be smaller, but its much easier to control for me. Its a lower level of combat which I appreciate because while CM was good at large scale battles, small scale battles were lacking in my opinion.