Dual Core

kryger

This is a from the demo page:

"Dual/Quad Core Users: Users of multi-core processors will notice much greater framerate if they select the "Use only one CPU" option in the configuration utility."

Does this means Theater of War do NOT support Dual core? :(

Most of the games dont support dual core.

Even the most recent and spectacular ones.

Hard to code simultaneus to various processors.

But a dual core should run the game better, because one core handles the game, the other handles all the other sistem operations running in the background.

Actually the game does support Dual Core. In fact 1C and us are a software partner with Intel.

Not all users need to use this option, but for some it's a must.

I'm not a programmer but the reason as I understand it is some conflict with "threading" on some dual core machines.

Martin

Originally posted by kryger:

I have now downloaded the demo, and I am using both the cpu´s. "Intel core2duo"

It works fine!!! Great.

Thank you. The game looks great. smile.gif

Heh, not all Core2's work with it. Mine sure doesn't! Still, it isn't a big deal. The Core2's faster per clock than a P4, so anyone with a Core2 is PLENTY fast enough.

I just posted this in another thread and it's probably worth reposting here. All newer dual core machines should work fine without that option, i.e. using both cores. Performance increase after optimization is 10-20%.

For older dual core computers there is a conflict with Hypterhreading which causes extreme slowdowns, so one of the cores needs to be shut down. The effect is 10% less performance than if you have a faster CoreDuo, so as you can see by no means it makes the game unplayable.

Martin

Originally posted by kryger:

I have a new machine:

Intel Core 2 Duo, 1.86 GHz.

ATI Radeon 1950

2 GB. Ram.

But if the game does not support “Dual Core” I only have a slow 1,86 machine!!!

Kryger, most games don't use more than one processor (which is what dual core is). The good news is that Core2 CPUs are faster than Pentium4s at the same clock speed by a LOT. A 1.86 Ghz C2D is plenty fast enough, don't worry smile.gif

I bet 10 bucks that they mean you should turn hyperthreading off, or if you have it on select the "use 1 CPU option". Hyperthreading sucks for many applications.

Whoever translates the hardware requirements and tips like these from Russian to English is probably the culprit for all this stupidity.

Can somebody post how much usage on second cores they see in system monitor on a multi-core/CPU system?