TCP/IP Multiplay question

handihoc

Whilst waiting for ToW I bought CC:Cross of Iron. A potentially great multiplayer game, if a touch dated now, I found that multiplay is impossible for many players, including myself. The reason appears to be to do with the complexity and lack of a standard for networked broadband peer-to-peer connections. I don't understand it, but effectively, I bought a game I can't get the best out of, as I cannot play another human.

What's the multiplay/connection situation going to be with ToW? I've been eagerly anticipating this game (and CM Shock Force) for a long time, but, but I DO DEFINITELY want to be able to play head to head across the internet.

This is actually kind of ironic, but I won't go into details.

Yeah, we're right now working on making sure that TOW multiplayer works for everybody (or at least the vast majority of people) and have delayed the release because of problems we discovered at the last minute. Right now, it works for some, but not for others.

Martin

Originally posted by Moon:

This is actually kind of ironic, but I won't go into details.

Yeah, we're right now working on making sure that TOW multiplayer works for everybody (or at least the vast majority of people) and have delayed the release because of problems we discovered at the last minute. Right now, it works for some, but not for others.

Martin

I for one am pleased you are working on the MP, for me its one of the most important apsects of the game. AI can be good, but a human is far better!

99% of the time when someone has a problem hosting a multiplayer computer game (of any kind), it is a router / firewall issue. The game itself can't (and shouldn't) be able to change access to ports for you, otherwise it would be opening a potential security hole on your computer. So you need to open the ports up manually, and then everything usually works fine.

Originally posted by CBR:

So I guess the silence means there is no lobby and only direct IP? smile.gif

CBR

I sure hope there is a lobby. I would even be willing for it to be Gamespy just to have a lobby in which to go and meet other players for quick games. Using a forum to find opponents and write down IP numbers is so 1990's.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but as you pointed out, the silence does not seem to bode well for our hopes.

The paranoid side of me thinks they just dont want to reveal the total lack of MP features apart from direct IP...that is until we all have pre-ordered the game.

So Moon, I have already been suckered into pre-ordering ToW. You can speak freely now. ;)

But yes even just having Gamespy Arcade to chat and arrange games would be better than direct IP. Although chat is not the greatest in Arcade IIRC. Having a proper private chat for arranging bigger 4v4 games would be nice.

CBR

I agree, and I don't often play MP in games like this. I just don't feel like I can keep pace with a bunch of folks in RTS games. I am hoping that playing with you gents will be different than the crowd I ran into with CoH.

My old hands just can't click that fast anymore. :(

If you wantt o encourage proper 4v4 games, and I truly believe those will be the most fun, then a proper lobby is nearly mandatory. With people from all different areas (continents!) trying to communicate, direct IP just won't cut it.

Under game features it says: 8 Multiplayer Missions (Internet/LAN) with a maximum of 8 players. So LAN play should be in.

But I guess Moon answered my question in the other thread. There will be no lobby and only direct IP. That pretty much kills it for me since MP would be my main interest with this game.

Trying to arrange games through this forum might be fine for PBEM but is outright silly for realtime games.

CBR

Yes that is an option which I have thought about.

From my Total War days I know how difficult it is to arrange clan fights with people from different time zones.

Im not saying it cant be done. But I know there are people who doesnt care about MSN and similar programs or forums for that matter, and just wants to have a nice and simple way to go online and have a few games.

If you have to spend time just figuring out who can play and for how long, you are going to limit the number of players as well as how much actual gaming you are gonna be doing.

CBR

Originally posted by rune:

LAN play is built in.

We used ICQ and MSN Messenger to test multiplayer during beta testing, it works just fine.

Rune

LOL. . . from what I understand using a handpump to pump water out by the shed works just fine as well. I, however, have gotten used to indoor plumbing. tongue.gif

Please don't get me wrong. I'm ECSTATIC about the release of this game. However, the lack of a dedicated lobby and the requirement of having to ask for and type in IPs and schedule matches is kind of a downer.