Max Number of Player Units??

Kellysheroes

I'd like to know the maximum number of units a player is going to have available to play with for "any" particular scenario. Also are there going to be player made quick battles like Combat Mission has? Point buy systems like CM as well? You know like I want each side to get 5000 points and the computer AI will pick and deploy those units for both sides if I so choose??

No quick battles, and the battles are all different sizes and shapes.

As to maximum number of units under your control at once, it depends on the individual battle but there are engagements where you would have a couple of companies of infantry or more and associated armor support. They can get pretty big.

Also, you can control an infantry squad as a single unit or give individual commands to any one person or groups of people in the squad.

The AI can not be made to "use points" and buy units although the player can. In most battles the player is alloted a set amount of points to buy units from a certain selection of choices, in addition to some starting units that he could also trade in for their points. Sometimes the player could completely change what units he has, and other times some units are LOCKED and can not be traded in. In some battles there are also hard limits on how many of any one particular TYPE of unit they can have, so a given battle may let you purchase up to 10 squads of infantry but only 4 tanks for example. All of this can be altered using the Mission Editor of course!

Madmatt

Depends on how you look at it. In CM, squads were abstracted with just 3 figures, in ToW, you can see and even directly order any individual soldier.

The battles in ToW, due to their design also more often than not have more of a back-and-forth feel to them with varying tasks and objectives (and reinforcements) that can change as you play through a given mission.

But in the end, the thing to remember is that CM and ToW are two completely different games so its not really fair to compare one with the other. They both depict WWII battles, but they both do it at different scales and with different design methodologies.

Madmatt

but there are engagements where you would have a couple of companies of infantry or more
Are you sure you talking about companies ?

That means at least 100 men per companie ?!

So we will have battles with 200-300 men + tanks ?

Hard to believe from what i saw in the russian version ;)

No, he meant what he said. It's just that not all of them are on the map at the same time.

Marc, if you count together some of the starting forces + reinforcements during a scenario, then some of the bigger battles indeed come out to a lot of guys. I just played one of the single player scenarios with about 70 soldiers and 8 tanks for the US, and about the same amount for the Germans. I took screens which are planned for release next tuesday, and this is by far not the biggest stock scenario (and keep in mind, you can make your own with the editor)

However, TOW, with is almost RPG-like focus on the invididual soldiers is designed for smaller scale battles, no doubt. It's what it does best, too. Close Combat scale - I think somebody here called it like that, and it describes the game quite well.

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Moon (or any beta's) how are the demand (hardware) limitations on battles with a Company of Infantry. With Coop mode and several MP players you could I would think handle say a Company of Infantry each.

Is this possible to have say 2-3 hundred infantry on the board at one time?

So no hard cap on the number of units but CPU limitations I'm sure stack up really quickly with 10's of tanks and infantry?

Thx

Moon, question,

does it mean you still can create cm like games but only on the maps which come with the cd/dvd

So that means i still can create whole ss division and do the battle of the bulge over???

or is the map to small or can i use the hole map for a battle so that it can be like in cm figures 40000+

or do i have to have an super computer?????

You said rune didn't find any limitations did he say they are playable with nearly 600 units running cross your screen???

hmmm that seems a bit much I would hazard a guess.

But it would be nice to hear from people with the Russian version or better yet the Beta's re. the biggest battles they have played so far.

I'm still trying to get a feel for the scale of the game. The Maps seem very decent in size......

@pannekoek

LOL - is that pannekoek as in dutch for pan cakes? smile.gif

I live in Canada... both my parents came over from Holland in '51... they never did speak much dutch while we were growing up, unless they didnt want us kids to understand what they were talking about. I managed to understand a few tidbits of dutch here and there... tongue.gif

Muldoon