Games To Play, While we Wait For TOW

landwarrior

Speaking of CC3 "Cross of Iron", Its been out now I think for over a week its avaible through download.

Has anyone been playing it? I see alot of people here talking about CC a lot and was wondering if any body here has it and what they think of it.

Isn't it more of a tactical sim closer to CMBB and CMAK?

I remember my brother giving me one of them for my birthday. "Battle of the bulge" I think it was. And at the time I was shocked that it had no real graphics I was more into games like half-life and commandos-Commandos what an awesome game especially commandos II, III was a disaster almost unplayable they ruined the series with that final release! To bad they don't make those games anymore.

I remember being up front with my brother and saying: don't think I'm gonna play this "stripped down blue print of a game."

FSW is quite good though i wouldnt play "ten hammers" which is part 2. FSW: Ten hammers supports much more strategic options that are mostly too complex and not very useful at all.

FSW is much more basic but how to say .. the basic controls "fit" much better in this game and provide more fun

Originally posted by FaxisAxis:

Speaking of CC3 "Cross of Iron", Its been out now I think for over a week its avaible through download.

Has anyone been playing it? I see alot of people here talking about CC a lot and was wondering if any body here has it and what they think of it.

Isn't it more of a tactical sim closer to CMBB and CMAK?

Cross of Iron is a re-release of Close Combat 3 with improved AI and new maps and a new campaign. It is a top down view of the battlefield, not like CMBB or CMAK which are full 3-D environments. The game play has improved and many glitches from the previous edition have been fixed. The new developers plan to recreate the other games in the series with updated graphics. If you purchase the new version you are supporting them with this new endeavor.

Personally, I enjoy this new version, even though I still have the old one. One good improvement is that it now works with newer CPU speeds so scrolling the map is more manageble (without resorting to something like CPU Killer to slow down the computer by 90%)

[ March 05, 2007, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: Neskire ]

Neskire, Thanks for the info, sounds interesting and if they make a 3-D versions of the older games in the series that would certainly add a great amount of appeal to it. What I hear is that it is so realistic that the marines use it for strategic training.

Originally posted by FaxisAxis:

Neskire, Thanks for the info, sounds interesting and if they make a 3-D versions of the older games in the series that would certainly add a great amount of appeal to it. What I hear is that it is so realistic that the marines use it for strategic training.

I think that the Marines use CC: First to Fight which is more of a first person shooter similar to Rainbow 6.

You should check out screenshots of CC: Cross of Iron at closecombat.org first before you decide. I really like the game, but it may not be everyone's cup of tea.

For anyone with BF2 I would recommend the new project reality mod release as it adds many levels of realisim to the game. Also SH IV and STALKER are arriving soon, both looking very interesting! Armed Assualt is comming out for any fans of OPFP.

• 2 weeks later...

Cross of Iron is exactly the same CC3 with new 44-45 campaign (not big deal, there are hundreds of free maps etc in the net). As the CC3, AI is almost nonexistent but game is a true diamond in MP.

I heard that Officers became much like Blitzkrieg games and in current state is no more than myriad of other RTS about ww2 (like Desert Rats vs Afrika Corps, Blitzkrieg) with only exception - it has very large amounts of forces and large maps (several km). 10 Shermans killing Tiger in several seconds and such stuff. Looks gorgeous in general, but it's a pity that it is definitely not a wargame.

Brigade E5!!!. Man this game is fun. And its deep. Rich in micro details. Tactical role playing. The new era of Jagged Aliance in 3D. Its been a while since I sunk 60+ hours a week into a game, well here I am 3 weeks later still playin. There is not a movement stance, weapon attachment or balistic detail left out of this auto-pausible turn based game.

Oh, and the game review sites got it all wrong.

It takes about 20 or 30 hours of playing this just to realize how deep this game really goes. The professional reviewers just didn't get it.

But the bad reviews sure did help in driving down the price. 29 bucks at EB. :D

Being new to Battlefront I'm currently entertaining myself with the demos of all their other games. Currently I'm trying out the demo of Strategic Command 2. Based on what I've seen I'd happily buy it if TOW didn't look so darned irrisistable. I figure I woud't have time to play both games anyway since they both appear to be so absorbing.

If you want more realistic FPS? Try Red Orchestra Ostfront. Tank combat is also availble in RO. But it is ararde fun, with nice bouncing effect on T34 and Tiger. No realistic damage and penetration values. Its based on hitpoints from the unreal2 engine...

But infantry fights are nice and realistic as well...

Has anyone tried Making History: The Calm and the Storm? I think it just came out a cople of weeks ago, but the demo has been out for a while. Very pretty interface compared with Strategic Command 2. Ihavent gotten in deeply enough to really compare them ,b ut it looks to be fairly rich in detail.