Game environment

track

Just wondering how much actual interaction there is with the game environment. Can you crush buildings with tanks for example?

Vehicles seem to leave track marks as they travel around. There are however no pics which show what happens when artillery hits trees or urban areas for example.

Can soldiers be wounded or are they just OK or KIA?

From the features page:

Real Time Combat Simulation – Realistic shell ballistics, armor penetration calculations and damage effects coupled with destructible environments, trenches, fortifications and individually tracked weapons, equipment, ammo and vehicles.

Dynamic Battlefields; Wage war in all four seasons over beautifully rendered landscapes. Watch as trees get knocked over by tanks, vehicles crush men and equipment under their treads, tracers stitch across no mans land and high explosive shells leave huge smoking craters.

Tanks crushing buildings ... I do not know.

Wounded soldiers? ... I guess yes.

Best regards,

Thomm

If people can't go in buildings, why should tanks get to?

Standing orders were that tanks not be operated as bulldozers in any event. Not that it never happened, but it wasn't a standard practice, or AFAICT even a common one. Was it? Danger to damaging gun barrels, optics and suspension was too high. Not to mention how do you know your friendly infantry aren't using the cover of a building?

Once you bash a building in, THEN you can send the infantry into the house/rubble. (I think.)

At least for this game, that's what I'll be doing. (Assuming rubble provides some defensive advantage for my troopies.)

Gpig

then why not just treat all intact buildings as rubble and voila you can enter buildings at will smile.gif

Honestly it's probbaly not a big issue, but somehow the devs deemed it to be left out...

The terrain destruction looks to be scripted. It's not like real "physics" engine at work from what I can see unlike some of the other more recent RTS games

I have to say that it makes no sense to me at all why they would try to make such a realistic game and leave infantry entry into building out. This is very dissapointing news and my #1 complaint on what was looking like the ulimate in realistic ww2 gaming. I thought this was to be realtime version of Combat Mission? Buildings can play such a vital role in that game.

When artillery hits trees, they fall down. Buildings also can be destroyed by artillery or tank/gun fire. Tanks do not crush buildings as they even avoid going through a wooden fence (sometimes they go through them, but I haven't yet figured out what causes them not to want to go through some light obstacles). Infantry not being able to enter buildings is not a big problem, because mission are made in such a way that battles are fought only on outskirts of villages.

Half of a barn getting blown up by Tiger gun fire:

th_33264_grab0000_122_393lo.jpg

[ November 12, 2006, 04:11 AM: Message edited by: Daimyo ]

Originally posted by Vinnart:

I have to say that it makes no sense to me at all why they would try to make such a realistic game and leave infantry entry into building out.

I think that it may have been because they couldn't make it look "pretty," guys running in doorways, taking up stations at windows, holing up inside, etc.,. Just a guess.

I really wish that the developers had gone with North Africa as the setting. There aren't a whole lot of buildings between Tripoli and Cairo. But, the developers are RUSSIAN, so go figure. ;)

PoE

I would even settle for something like how it was done in the Sudden Strike series where the units can enter, but you do not see the unit once inside except muzzle flashes from the windows when they fire out. The AI could be programed for the units to take up the best positions possible once inside the building. Developers hear us on this one, your limiting the "real Life" environment.

Originally posted by Vinnart:

I would even settle for something like how it was done in the Sudden Strike series where the units can enter, but you do not see the unit once inside except muzzle flashes from the windows when they fire out. The AI could be programed for the units to take up the best positions possible once inside the building. Developers hear us on this one, your limiting the "real Life" envirnment.

that's how it works in Company of Heroes, you just see them stick their guns out the windows which TOW should be able to do just fine. And they will move around inside on their own and shift positions from which side of the house the threat is coming from etc with a time delay to shift and remount MGs etc

You just get a floating icon on the house for the unit and when you click on this the unit's stats and men show on the info bar

I do remeber back in the day reading that TOW had this feature...I even recall seeing screenshots with guns sticking out from the window....