Summary

1stSSLeibstandarte

Hey everyone,

I'm just curious as to the summary of the "flaws" of the game. I tried just reading all posts but they're full of arguments etc and not too interesting. Just curious about what not to expect in the game etc. Oh and brief question about tank engagements; are they realistic such as in CM, or are they going to be simplified ala CoH? Oh and btw, please don't post commenting about my nick or call me a nazi etc, I would just like some simple information smile.gif . THX

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As to what's missing, I'm sure you've got the most significant ones even from a cursory look: No onboard mortars, enter-able buildings, map editor, quick battles. That's all the biggies I can think of right now.

About tank engagements: I take it you mean realistic penetration and damage model. Some bits would appear to be worse (armour angle) and some bits are better. (complex damage modelling) Definitely not typical RTS/FPS nonsense stuff.

About your nick, okay then. LISTEN UP PEOPLE, DO NOT MENTION THE ELEPHANT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROOM.

Seriously, you take a name like that and you honestly expect people not to react to it? The SS is only cool in Japan. You will find life on this forum harder with it, I assure you.

Personally imo i have no problem with the nickname. They were an elite fighting unit so is only like myself calling my nick 1st guards division. Maybe they commited some battlefield atrocities but so did every other nation its just we won so you dont get them dragged into the public eye. If your refering to the title SS, the SS also had lemonade factories. Not all SS was evil, a big organization with many many branches. But like i say this is just My Opinion.

Steve

Hmmm ... which to choose ...

'Hi mom'?

'What a wonderful world'?

'How about those exiting game relevant news just being flashed on the blog? Do you think we will get a range of smaller caliber mortars like up to 81mm?'

Come on Gent's ... smile to the world!

"Not all SS was evil, a big organization with many many branches."

Yeh, they're using the same argument about Republicans nowadays. Still, I wouldn't much like my family to be tortured to death by either one of them. Doesn't 'Habius Corpus' translate 'Show us the bodies'?

what on earth is wrong with his nickname ?

All you idiots who compain about things like that need to reassess your lives.

If you are so sensitive to be offended by someone using an SS nickname then why are you playing wargames in the first place. Why are you extracting pleasure from reenacting the slaughter and carnage of millions of fellow humans ? Perhaps you should be out picking daisies and chanting peace mantras with your local green party cronies.

We are historical, factual wargamers and history buffs, not members of left-wing, politically correct protest groups.

If we want to call ourselves Patton, Montgomery or Sepp Dietrich then we will - and we will watch you joy when you apparently become "offended".

Next thing will be that we are coined "nazis" because we choose to play the German side of a WW2 game !!!

I think that in order to lessen possible offence to our more faint-hearted comrades, we should remove all reference in TOW to "Germany".

Instead we should just entitle them "the enemy" and pretend that Nazis and the Wehrmacht never existed. Swastikas are out, but I also think the balkenkreuz is indicative of facism, so that should be replaced with a pink tulip. Oh and the words stuka, panzerfaust, blitzkrieg, panzer and Luftwaffe should also be banned as they can be also linked directly to the final solution.

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Prince of Eckmühl:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />

I think that some of y'all spend too much time worrying about stuff like this. The boards are about the games, not personalities, right? If someone acts up, the forum cops will take care of them.

Right. We aren't here to regulate taste in people's forum handles. If tht were the case we'd probalby have to ban a good quarter of you guys for one reason or another. Since there are no rules regulating Forum names (except blatently inflamatory ones, which thankfully we've had only a few) you name critics need to step down and put a sock in it.

If someone behaves like a neo-nazi we'll be happy to ban 'em, even if his screen name is "Mr. Happy Pants".

Steve </font>

Who's generating a Sigrun style inferno here? No one in this thread condemned him for his sig. No abuse, no labelling anyone a nazi. I intended it as good natured advice, something his pre-emptive 'don't call me a nazi' begged for.

And the Sigrun inferno wasn't about his name. It was about how he thought the Nazis were a bunch of swell people that did the world a favour by killing the untermensch. Something completely, utterly different then a controversial nick. THAT I did and do have have a big problem with.

Oh, and DO NOT MENTION THE ELEPHANT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROOM. ;)

Originally posted by Elmar Bijlsma:

Who's generating a Sigrun style inferno here? No one in this thread condemned him for his sig. No abuse, no labelling anyone a nazi. I intended it as good natured advice, something his pre-emptive 'don't call me a nazi' begged for.

And the Sigrun inferno wasn't about his name. It was about how he thought the Nazis were a bunch of swell people that did the world a favour by killing the untermensch. Something completely, utterly different then a controversial nick. THAT I did and do have have a big problem with.

Oh, and DO NOT MENTION THE ELEPHANT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROOM. ;)

I don't have the time or inclination to dissect the several darts that have been directed at the thread-starter, but I am familiar enough with the culture and dynamics of this forum to know that he has two alternatives.

He can either leave, or take issue with the comments directed toward him. So, yes, given the atmosphere here, we could be just a page or two away from a full-blown, pain in the ass to the forum sponsor.

Like I said, I don't expect that to trouble some of the members, not one little bit. But, it's a God-awful waste of this forum, one that I believe was created to help the publisher promote a new product of theirs.

PoE

Originally posted by Prince of Eckmühl:

I don't have the time or inclination to dissect the several darts that have been directed at the thread-starter, but I am familiar enough with the culture and dynamics of this forum to know that he has two alternatives.

This thread has nine replies, including yours. I find it incredibly hard to believe that you do not have the time, you just don't have the quote. You are just caught without the facts to back your scaremongering. Unless you are talking about the thread you lifted Steve's quote from. And that was frigging four weeks ago. Here and now, he's being given a warm welcome compared to a generic "do a search, you lazy bastiche" reply.

He can either leave, or take issue with the comments directed toward him. So, yes, given the atmosphere here, we could be just a page or two away from a full-blown, pain in the ass to the forum sponsor.

Hence my conciliatory and jokular repeat of the "DO NOT MENTION THE ELEPHANT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROOM." bit. Instead you decide to stir the pot with your persecution complex. Dude, you need to relax a little.

Like I said, I don't expect that to trouble some of the members, not one little bit.

With an attitude to fellow members like that, how can we not get along famously. Me, I have no problem with 1stSSLeibstandarte (he deserves kudos just for spelling it right, a rare feat ;) ) whereas you on the other hand, are starting to bug me with your hysteric antics.

But, it's a God-awful waste of this forum, one that I believe was created to help the publisher promote a new product of theirs.

PoE

Amen to that. How about if you get a fair parting shot in, if you must, and then let's leave it that, shall we?

[ October 31, 2006, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: Elmar Bijlsma ]

Originally posted by Elmar Bijlsma:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Prince of Eckmühl:

This thread has nine replies, including yours. I find it incredibly hard to believe that you do not have the time, you just don't have the quote. You are just caught without the facts to back your scaremongering. Unless you are talking about the thread you lifted Steve's quote from. And that was frigging four weeks ago. Here and now, he's being given a warm welcome compared to a generic "do a search, you lazy bastiche" reply.

Hence my conciliatory and jokular repeat of the "DO NOT MENTION THE ELEPHANT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROOM." bit. Instead you decide to stir the pot with your persecution complex. Dude, you need to relax a little.

Like I said, I don't expect that to trouble some of the members, not one little bit.

With an attitude to fellow members like that, how can we not get along famously. Me, I have no problem with 1stSSLeibstandarte (he deserves kudos just for spelling it right, a rare feat ;) ) whereas you on the other hand, are starting to bug me with your hysteric antics.

But, it's a God-awful waste of this forum, one that I believe was created to help the publisher promote a new product of theirs.

PoE

Amen to that. How about if you get a fair parting shot in, if you must, and then let's leave it that, shall we? </font>

I guess we can chalk up another thread for the "killin-time-waitin-for-demo/game" category.

Btw, is it really even possible to come up with a detailed summary-of-flaws for a game that hasn't been released yet? Besides, some so-called flaws can be simply a matter of opinion.

:( All I asked for was a simple summary of all the stuff people were complaining about/things missing from the game and what do I get? A lengthy discussion about Nazis and crap(will saying crap get u banned?) Please people, when someone says DONT DISCUSS MY NAME OR NAZISM, JUST ANSWER MY QUESTION, it really means that and it's not a secret desire for attention! We are not 12 anymore (oh God I hope not!!) stop acting like it please... So if anyone still wants to answer my question? BTW thx Elmar for being the only one who gave me at least a partial answer.

Originally posted by 1stSSLederhosen:

Please people, when someone says DONT DISCUSS MY NAME OR NAZISM, JUST ANSWER MY QUESTION, it really means that and it's not a secret desire for attention!

Usually when people make pre-emptive statements like that they get exactly the opposite of what they wanted.

Originally posted by RMC:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by 1stSSLederhosen:

Please people, when someone says DONT DISCUSS MY NAME OR NAZISM, JUST ANSWER MY QUESTION, it really means that and it's not a secret desire for attention!

Usually when people make pre-emptive statements like that they get exactly the opposite of what they wanted. </font>

Originally posted by stone75:

Were in a forum for a game which portrays battlefields in WW2. I would imagine he chose his name for a unit he admired in combat. I dont see a problem. Might as well just call all germans evil, some were nazis in WW2 you know.

Good point!

I have a question for everyone...why do think the majority (from what i have observed) of these types of nickname refer to the WW2 nazis army groups? Is it the dreaded "Wehrmacht Penis Envy?" Do some folks worship ADORK HITLER and his stooges? just curious...