Demo delayed because of beta-tester hack? is this true?

Patrocles

Is this for real or are these guys nutz??

October 5

"Over on the Battlefront forums they are saying a demo will be released in 1-2 weeks. The demo is currently 99% finished but they are working on adding voice overs."

October 16

"A few of the beta testers have learned of a hack that an un-authorised user has deployed to great effect, which is the actual reason why the demo and game are so delayed. So far it can't be fixed, though the Russian release has gone ahead regardless. Fingers crossed they can get on top of it, or MP will be a bust."

http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=158;t=000012

[ October 18, 2006, 05:35 AM: Message edited by: Patrocles ]

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sepp at Simhq says otherwise,

"I got it directly from a number of beta-tester horses' mouths. Don't ask me to tell you who by name, they're under a non-disclosure agreement. Just be grateful they put this info out there, at least we now know why we're still waiting.

One of the testers (probably more, we know how it goes) shared his game and it got into the wrong hands apparently, because it was hacked and cheats were implemented. The devs are trying to fix the holes and that's why the western version is being held up."

Unfortunately, we have no hard evidence that this info is true so we have to treat it them as rumors.

I can say with absoulte certainty that what Sepp wrote is wrong. If someone really is feeding him this stuff, he needs to get a more reliable source. The one he is supposedly using either isn't an actual beta tester or is making stuff up for some reason. This isn't a matter of opinion or PR damage control... what Sepp is saying is factually false.

Steve

As the main contact between 1C (The developer) and Battlefront.com (publishers of Theatre of War) and as the lead of the Beta Team, I can say unequivocally that this totally, 100% BULL****.

Sepp, whoever the hell he is, says that testers are telling specifics about the game, and yet because they are under NDA, won't give them their names. Yeah, well the NDA doesn't really work like that and neither do MY testers.

Also, you guys are waiting for ToW to be released by us because it's not yet ready to be published. From our point of view, it's not delayed at all. We will release it once we have finished the work we set out to do.

There will be very obvious differences between the Russian and Western versions of the game and the main reason is because the Western version will reflect all the changes we have been requesting and helping 1c make to the game. These changes take time to implement, and it also takes time to properly localize a game to our standards.

The demo and game are close to being released but to say that you guys are waiting because of some sort of hack that allows players to cheat is simply idiotic and when you think about it, doesn't even really make any sense.

The game is really focused on single player action against the AI as you play through the 40+ campaign missions. While it does not (yet) have a formal mission editor, the mission files themselves can be edited to some extent (and I will be posting more on this after the game is released to help you get the most out of it) and this would allow you to tweak the scenario and make it easier or harder to your hearts content.

The things that is NOT editable, just like in CM, are the actual hard data files, for example weapon performance, armor thicknesses, the A.I. etc...

The mission files allow you to make the type of changes you would expect, change setup zones, weather, choose the map, time of day, what units and loadouts they have, positions on the map, reinformcements schedules etc...

We WANT that stuff to be customizable, and we hope to have a formal scenario editor available at some point in the future so that making new scenarios could be made easier.

We realize that ToW has had a long, and to many, painful development cycle, but its in our hands now, and we need time to make it as best as we can. Thats all there is to it.

Madmatt

My experience with testing has been that there's more than one team involved.

Developers test the game internally, and then deliver a pre-release "beta" to the publisher for a going-over by the latter's testers. That would be where BF comes in right?

If there was a problem with 1C's group, it certainly shouldn't reflect on BF or their team of scrupulously well-vetted testers.

For reference sake, here's a link to the Ubi forum about the pre-release leak of Pacific Fighters:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/8781004032?r=8191004032#8191004032

PoE

[ October 18, 2006, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: Prince of Eckmühl ]

Originally posted by Rollstoy:

Can you remove this, please!

Thanks,

Thomm

Originally posted by Patrocles:

yeah, I thought as much

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

I have to agree, can we not agree to keep the scatology off the forum? That was really not pleasant.

Yeah, it is pretty nasty. Sorry about that, I was pretty drunk when I posted it. I changed it.

Thanks for the update Steve and Matt.

Edit: Oh and before I forget, to this Sepp fella, enjoy...

41996294WmxMWJ_ph.jpg

I know Matt will like this one. ;)

[ October 18, 2006, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: MeatEtr ]

PoE.,

If there was a problem with 1C's group
Even if the beta tester was related to 1C and not Battlefront, the information Sepp posted is still factually incorrect. I certainly know more about the ins and outs of the release decisions than any beta tester (excepting Matt and Rune, who have the same level of knowledge), so I know for sure what the truth is. And it isn't what Sepp is spreading around.

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

PoE.,

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />If there was a problem with 1C's group

Even if the beta tester was related to 1C and not Battlefront, the information Sepp posted is still factually incorrect. I certainly know more about the ins and outs of the release decisions than any beta tester (excepting Matt and Rune, who have the same level of knowledge), so I know for sure what the truth is. And it isn't what Sepp is spreading around.

Steve </font>