Wooded Terrain - Straight Dope?

Guest Guest

Without any decent form of cover and concealment, TOW will degenerate into nothing more than you grabbing hold of all your units and rushing them towards the enemy. Fun, for five minutes.

I have yet to see any screenshot that depicts wooded areas, or any else that could provide decent cover. In fact, almost every screenshot shows wide open fields and gentle rolling plains.

As you said, there are 2-3 screenshots that show reasonably (compared to the rest) dense tree coverage around small villages, farmhouses etc., but most trees seem to be layed out in single file, lining whatever roadways are on the map.

I hope the answer to this is as easy as the guys just spending a little more time creating the maps, and laying out the terrain in a slightly more realistic way. I've no idea about how many different terrain types there are, but they appear to be limited.

Are there treebursts? If so then players would be smarter to keep their guys WELL hidden in trees, or stay out! THAT would be cool.

Trees shouldn't be a magical force-field to make you invisible and invincible:) If they put treebursts in then you'd be at greater risk to artillery. And it would be harder to dig foxholes.

Dense woods/forests are probably out because they know we'd just lose our men in them. Bit like houses probably, can't be done in a realistic enough fashion to make it bearable for the artistic sensibilities of the devs. Understandable to a point.

Shame a little 'transparency/opacity window' can't be made to attend friendly units and spotted enemy units in places like woods and houses.

Originally posted by AdamL:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Lanzfeld:

Being that there is no answer from the DEVS or BTS then you have to know that there is no dense terrain and they are just to embarrassed to admit it.

Nah, that's not the way they operate. I think they just haven't noticed the thread yet. </font>

TOW has a lot going for it. But with so much open terrain I hope it does not take on a "Panzers" armor heavy mentality. It should have an infantry first attitude. It has the "they like the tanks, give them more tanks" approach, it seems. Very frustrating.

Originally posted by luckyorwhat:

Are there treebursts? If so then players would be smarter to keep their guys WELL hidden in trees, or stay out! THAT would be cool.

Trees shouldn't be a magical force-field to make you invisible and invincible:) If they put treebursts in then you'd be at greater risk to artillery. And it would be harder to dig foxholes.

I disagree,

I don’t think there is anything magical about the terrain bonus that would imply to “woods”.

Grant it we have yet had any official discussions on the matter that I recall.

But short of large caliber HE rounds slamming into the troops position, I have a hard time believing there would be a better place to dig a hole of self preservation.

Supposing most arty in the game uses impact-detonating fuzes or timers, then trees are more dangerous than in the open. With timers it would be skill or luck to get perfect airbursts. With impact the shell will bury into the ground a little bit, and thus only a portion of it's shrapnel will be dangerous.

But when artillery targets an area with dense trees the shells will impact when they hit branches. This means they airburst at the PERFECT height, meaning the blast and shrapnel are spread pretty much ideally. And then you add to that high-velocity fragments created from the tree.

Put simply, in the open you can lie down and the fragments fly horizontally, hopefully over your head. In the forest they will come at you vertically, and there is no cover.

Timed fuses are available/modeled in the TOW ?

I understand and can even agree with the some your points. But on the same note I would hate to see that kind of large caliber ordnance readily available. My hopes are they implement a semi rarity and historical availability of such tools of the trade to combat the vulnerability of infantry.

Short of having the patch of forest/target pre-registered , and advancing troops in the woods I still have to disagree. You allow a company of infantry even a short duration to entrench itself in a wooded area, I think the cost of resources spent to effectively rout your target just might be a defeat in itself.

I would think there’s more of a risk to moral then bodily harm for entrenched units.

Which brings up another question,

Per-registered targeting ?

Excellent point,

But in return only brings up another question, LOL this is starting to snowball.

Will there be the ability to utilize user created shell craters for infantry cover. ?

Shell hole creation is a favorite pet tactic of mine to minimize the odds of crossing open ground. I would hate to see such limits put on the player considering the lack of building entry.