Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Modern Rasputitsa

Sgt Popov

Its nice that there are some others besides myself that know about the GHQ website.

I started collecting and gaming WW2 Micro Armor and 15mm figs back in the 80s, i still to this day purchase when i can. Im now working on getting some of the German Blitzkrieg area models, i already have a few rules sets that i have acquired over the years.

My Dad got me into WW2 gaming when i was around 15 years old. He first started off collecting and playing ROCO 1/87 and 1/76 figs back in the 70s using a set of rules called TRACTICS. Shortly after he sold his collection in favor of GHQ and other Micro Armor related companies. Dad is 65 now and once a month when i come to visit we still find time to play some Micro Armor on a gaming table that we both built years ago.

My Dad got me into WW2 gaming when i was around 15 years old. He first started off collecting and playing ROCO 1/87 and 1/76 figs back in the 70s using a set of rules called TRACTICS. Shortly after he sold his collection in favor of GHQ and other Micro Armor related companies. Dad is 65 now and once a month when i come to visit we still find time to play some Micro Armor on a gaming table that we both built years ago.

That's nice smile.gif

Hello Hinkel,

Yes i have heard of Flames of War and was about to get it until someone told me about it being similar to Warhammer with lots of dice rolling.

I will just have to visit the local hobby shop where there is a group playing Flames of War and see how it looks for myself.

Sgt Popov,

Looks just like the paintings and sketches I have in a facsimilile of German war artist Hans List's sketchbook!

SlapHappy,

You are so blessed that your dad would play with you! Mine never would, despite being a defense engineer.

I started out with my brothers on Roco Minitanks in high school, in both conventional gaming with homemade rules (had a huge Kursk battle in conjunction with a friend who had hundreds of Minitanks and a huge undeveloped (dirt) backyard and also in brutal high velocity bedroom tank duels using rubber band modded Britains B.A.T. guns firing the pop out part of a pop rivet. From across the room, you could spring a Mark IV's hull wide open; after moving to California, we built a 4 x 8 foot sandtable, and played first the TSR Fast Rules while waiting for Tractics, then Tractics when it finally showed up.

We used to use a "toad" until the glorious day came when we got a D20. Though complicated to get into at first, the fire computations soon became second nature. The system was great because you could do so many things with it, lots of which CM can't do even now. No Falling Shot Table that I know of in CM, for example, and vastly better combat engineering. Remember the Blind Fire Aspect for MRLs and such? I really liked the way hit location was handled, too. Even then, we could differentiate turret sizes for targeting purposes and could discretely target the turret only.

Two fights really stand out. The first was D-Day with scratchbuilt paper HO landing craft and me on defense with a hodgepodge of weapons including an 88 in a plaster of paris PB I made from a spray paint can lid. The bombardment roll wiped out almost everything, which includes my lovingly made PB, but the 2 cm. Flakvierling smack in front of the landing craft. When the ramps came down, it ate well, much to my brother's consternation. Nor was his Sherman improved by all the hits I put on it. That landing died at the water's edge! The other great one was a diabolical desperate armored defense scenario I designed with severely limited fuel and ammo against an American spearhead, with the Germans delaying frantically at a road junction controlling town in order to mount a counterattack. I made some fuel and ammo crossdecking rules (agonizing trading capability vs time) so the Germans had some flexibility--if they were willing to pay for it. The battle went down to literally the last burst as the Americans,

attacking through restricted terrain, tried desperately to seize the town, only to be undone by a burst of downhill 234 AC fire into the engine grates of the last Sherman close enough to meet the victory conditions. Expletive deleted! My friends still talk about that fight, which was some three decades ago. We had some of the MicroArmor painted so that it matched the sand flecked with green sawdust background; the 251s and Pak40s were invisible unless you were within inches of them, and even then, we had to do inventory. Haven't played Tractics in ages, but we did use the MicroArmor a few years ago in conjunction with the Yaquinto Eastern Front "miniature" game and had a ball. Memories!

Regards,

John Kettler

[ September 27, 2006, 07:11 PM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]