Let soldiers can enter buildings !

fyb2002

Tarquelne - don't yell, son, it's rude. Myself, Uwe and others were arguing for realistic gunnery ranges for this game with MegaKill on 1C or Codemasters forums years ago, so just take a deep breath or two.

If the change in animation technique is the culprit for no on-board mortars, then I'll gladly wait a month or two to have them. Same goes for the "interface" problem w/troops entering a structure. I suspect, however, that there may be more problems afoot - esp. with occupying buildings - than just interface problems.

This all relates back to my previous question - who's willing to wait for Battlefront's design recommendations to be implemented?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grog: Why don't you give us the benefit of your long Whine about Sajer's book? I thought it was excellent!! (The book, not the Whine.) It must have had a Nazi in the wrong uniform. Heavens to murgatroid!!! Can't have that now, can we?

Guys, I am affraid but we just can't make soldiers to enter buildings in time for the initial release. This task will take several months to implement properly. We had to cancel this feature (though it was possible, and we had this in the project) for now. We couldn't come up with a decent solution and we were not happy with abstract things like soldiers disappearing inside buildings and then just appearing when exiting. There were various camera issues, etc.

And yes, you can start flaming me now. But wait for the demo. If all BF guys are hooked to the game even without soldiers entering buildings - this means something. At least for me. Megakill out.

Originally posted by John Kettler:

WineCape,

We're receiving contradictory information on the domestic fowl front. Some have told us that that dead cows are in, live cows are out, and chickens in any form are out. Megakill, though, has officially stated that the hilarious video is made from existing game elements, with only the animations being specially developed. This means that chickens should be in.

Excellent. Roast duck apparently too.

Originally posted by WineCape:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by John Kettler:

WineCape,

We're receiving contradictory information on the domestic fowl front. Some have told us that that dead cows are in, live cows are out, and chickens in any form are out. Megakill, though, has officially stated that the hilarious video is made from existing game elements, with only the animations being specially developed. This means that chickens should be in.

Excellent. Roast duck apparently too. </font>

so just take a deep breath or two.
More air for thundering from on high, which you seem to have mistaken for plebeian "yelling". smile.gif

If the change in animation technique is the culprit for no on-board mortars, then I'll gladly wait a month or two to have them. Same goes for the "interface" problem w/troops entering a structure. I suspect, however, that there may be more problems afoot - esp. with occupying buildings - than just interface problems.

This all relates back to my previous question...

I'd be perfectly happy with infantry behaving abstractly in houses and funny-looking mortars. Or waiting.

I'm also OK with the game lacking those features on initial release. If after trying the demo they seem essential, I'll wait.

The choices seem to be we wait without a release... or we wait with one. Without a release and 1C/BFC doesn't get an infusion of cash to help justify further work and we don't get anything now, and only as much as we would have gotten anyway later.

A release with "missing features" doesn't guarantee everything we want will eventually be put in. But I bet it improves the odds. Those who don't want to play the odds can wait. Those who do... or don't care about certain features, will get the game.

They may decide that the game needs to be held awhile, that the public will be highly dissatisfied if certain features are missing. But, for $$ reasons, I'd guess the problems will have to be more severe than infantry in buildings and on-map mortars. Especially if they feel confident those can be added later and that play testing shows the missing features don't mess up the game too much.

Maybe we should have a thread where people list of things - missing features or existing ones - that make them leery about the game... If I weren't so lazy I'd start one now. Right now various threads have such thoughts scattered through them, along with a lot of argument.

I find myself defending the game more often than not, because I think critics often overestimate the importance of spotted flaws. But I do think most of the criticisms are very good - just sometimes overstated: I'm most worried about pure infantry fights and weapon ranges. I'm in "wait and see" mode with regard to on-map mortars and troops in buildings.

[ August 07, 2006, 04:54 AM: Message edited by: Tarquelne ]

Originally posted by Tagwyn:

It must have had a Nazi in the wrong uniform.

This actually the crux of the issue. He claimed to be in GD but he described the cuff title as being on the wrong sleeve.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

btw,

Guy Sajer in one of his books mentions that that machine gunner eventually died of hemorrhoids, tragically a day after the war was over.

We've missed you Markus....now please leave again and take Monsieur Sajer with you! </font>

Originally posted by Hpt. Lisse:

This all relates back to my previous question - who's willing to wait for Battlefront's design recommendations to be implemented?

Im the wrong person to ask - because I can readily wait another couple of years.

but then I want houses, mortars, ballistics, medics, chicken, kung fu, and...

MG barrel change.

Originally posted by Tarquelne:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />so just take a deep breath or two.

More air for thundering from on high, which you seem to have mistaken for plebeian "yelling". smile.gif

This all relates back to my previous question...

I'd be perfectly happy with infantry behaving abstractly in houses and funny-looking mortars. Or waiting.

I'm also OK with the game lacking those features on initial release. If after trying the demo they seem essential, I'll wait.

The choices seem to be we wait without a release... or we wait with one. Without a release and 1C/BFC doesn't get an infusion of cash to help justify further work and we don't get anything now, and only as much as we would have gotten anyway later.

A release with "missing features" doesn't guarantee everything we want will eventually be put in. But I bet it improves the odds. Those who don't want to play the odds can wait. Those who do... or don't care about certain features, will get the game.

They may decide that the game needs to be held awhile, that the public will be highly dissatisfied if certain features are missing. But, for $$ reasons, I'd guess the problems will have to be more severe than infantry in buildings and on-map mortars. Especially if they feel confident those can be added later and that play testing shows the missing features don't mess up the game too much.

Maybe we should have a thread where people list of things - missing features or existing ones - that make them leery about the game... If I weren't so lazy I'd start one now. Right now various threads have such thoughts scattered through them, along with a lot of argument.

I find myself defending the game more often than not, because I think critics often overestimate the importance of spotted flaws. But I do think most of the criticisms are very good - just sometimes overstated: I'm most worried about pure infantry fights and weapon ranges. I'm in "wait and see" mode with regard to on-map mortars and troops in buildings. </font>

Originally posted by RMC:

MG Barrel change. Ooooooooooo.

btw did we even get to talk about weapon jams just yet?

seeing that in the screenshots the (time-jumped) MP-40s were loaded to the full 32 rounds, which was an invitation to malfeeding and jamming of the weapon. You shouldnt cram more than 30 rounds into it, as every Landser (rather: squad leader) using the weapon quickly found out.

Tarquelne, MegaKill - Thank you for your pointed replys, and I'm in general agreement. I do understand that this project has been ongoing for a number of years without netting euro one, and I also have faith in 1C that subsequent patches will fix many of these issues.

Yesterday I played a very satisfying CMBB 1000 point QB defending as Soviets against Germans.

I did not get any mortars, nor HMGs, but an 81mm FO and 45mm and 76mm AT guns. He got a Panzer III and a handful of halftrucks plus LOTS of infantry, apparently.

Put the AT guns on a hill in two batteries ... his Panzer chose to drive over my sole target reference point and was history soon. Also, his halftracks went down pretty fast.

But I wanted to write something else, namely that my OFF-board mortars apparently knocked out practically all of his ON-board mortars (along with 40 infantry, hehe) in a devastating barrage!

His artillery observer tried hard to return the favor, but caused little damage to my entrenched troops (infantry platoon in trenches behind main flag on reverse slope with barbed wire in front ... approx. 60 enemy killed smile.gif ).

Ah, and there were isolated buildings on the map, but I had no desire at all to put infantry in there, apart from the FO and my two snipers! After all, I had 2 trenches and foxholes for everyone!

Bottom line: some elements that are written to be missing in ToW were missing (or knocked out quickly) in the randomly generated battle!

Was it an exiting battle, nevertheless?

You bet it was!

Best regards,

Thomm