small arms AP and PzF smoke trails

M Hofbauer

Originally posted by Megakill:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by RMC:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Megakill:

There will be no fancy situations when a pistol round will pentrate an armoured car.

Not even when the soldier is named John Wayne? </font>

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by RMC:

OK, forget John Wayne. But what if we get Ivan Shmaynev shooting a Panzerspaehwagen with a Tokarev? Is good, no?

Comrad, Ivan Shmaynev was not issued any weapons.

He tore turrets from Kingtigers with his bare hands. Study some history. And yes, the blast radious from his Tokarev was around 45 miles. :D

Btw back to weapons issue - check with the team - all this art panel showing 14 mm of armour penetration for rifles, etc - this is OLD placeholder stuf.

Just ignore.

Small arms use completely different mechanics, so those panels won't make into the final game.

Maximum what can be shot from a riflr is a wheel of an armoured car.

Well, that's too much.

A full-power rifle shot penetrates an American halftrack fine.

Training for infantry with APCs regularly includes some officer or sergant pulling out his pistol and shoot through the side of an old APC (point black). Goes through fine and is a great motivator after warning the soliders that the APC doesn't really offer as much protection as the steel hull suggests.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by RMC:

OK, forget John Wayne. But what if we get Ivan Shmaynev shooting a Panzerspaehwagen with a Tokarev? Is good, no?

Comrad, Ivan Shmaynev was not issued any weapons.

He tore turrets from Kingtigers with his bare hands. Study some history. </font>

Originally posted by Redwolf:

Training for infantry with APCs regularly includes some officer or sergant pulling out his pistol and shoot through the side of an old APC (point black). Goes through fine and is a great motivator after warning the soliders that the APC doesn't really offer as much protection as the steel hull suggests.

thats too general, hence an invalid, useless blanket comment.

when/where, what specific APC, what specific pistol using what specific ammo.

because I disagree whole heartedly with the generality of your statement.

I do agree that e.g. the M3 HT with its vertical 6mm armor is a bit weak and might be on the very low end of APC armor.

But even then regular pistol ammo will not defeat it. period.

please specify your example in detail.

Btw back to weapons issue - check with the team - all this art panel showing 14 mm of armour penetration for rifles, etc - this is OLD placeholder stuf.

Just ignore.

Small arms use completely different mechanics , so those panels won't make into the final game.

Maximum what can be shot from a riflr is a wheel of an armoured car.

different?

you mean, different as in "unlike the big guns which track every shell and its ballistics"...?

PLEASE tell me we wont get any of this peloton firepower-rated salvo stuff like in CM ?

:eek:

please please tell me the weapons will be modeled individually and their shots computed individually...

Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

please please tell me the weapons will be modeled individually and their shots computed individually...

Computing a flight path with trejectory, ending in both penetration and ricochet computations, for several MG42 firing on the map will not be possible with today's computers (well, maybe with mine smile.gif ).

Megakill,

All kidding aside, I've read that it was standard practice for American BAR men to load with AP rather than ball. This was done not as an antivehicle measure but because it neutralized cover immune to

ball.

Is the once super secret Maroszek (?) Polish antitank rifle in the game?

Regards,

John Kettler

When I said small arms have different calculations - this doesn't make them less realistic. OF course we can't compute EVERY bullet in the game, cause PCs don't have such power. I am not a programmer myself, so don't know all specifics, but we trace every third bullet or something like that.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

Computing a flight path with trejectory, ending in both penetration and ricochet computations, for several MG42 firing on the map will not be possible with today's computers (well, maybe with mine smile.gif ). </font>

S:HOWWII also used less vehicles, smaller maps and was focussed on fully destructible (on paper) terrain for squad combat. There's no "grand strategy" in S:HOWWII, as usually you'll end up playing some sort of "Commando's" like game of hide and seek, because the enemy outnumbers you 10-1.

Originally posted by Shabe.:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Redwolf:

Computing a flight path with trejectory, ending in both penetration and ricochet computations, for several MG42 firing on the map will not be possible with today's computers (well, maybe with mine smile.gif ). </font>