scenario editor?

Graf York

Thumbs up for going after TOW!!

Finaly there is somebody who can teach this baby how to walk!

I've been tracking this game for a long time. There is now hope to see it realy going public.

A few questions of course and if I've overread the answers somewhere in the forum just tell me so.

(1)

In the interview you guys statet that it is not clear now if a scenario and map editor will be available with the game. Come on pleeeeease!! Don't let C1 slip away with "but you can buy our next mission addon". What's all the modding (that you said would be possible) good for if I can not create my own "historic" battles?

(2)

Learning that the battles are rather company sized, please let me know how large are the maps? In the pics the countryside looks endless, but much of it might be a skillfull backgroundpicture. Am I wrong?

(3)

And last of all, what is the limit for the number of different vehicles pictured in the game. Is there still some space on a wishlist? Maybe with a patch released sometime later? I'm talking about the one that will allow you to enter and fight from buildings. smile.gif

greets

(1) Including a full editor is not a marketing question at all for us, but a technical one. The tools to create scenarios and maps are sometimes very complex and creating a good interface for it is not a trivial task. Especially if you don't plan for it before you start making the engine. Having said that, since the game is based on a heavily modified IL-2 engine, we do know that editors will be possible. The only question is if the effort to do it will be too much to include it in the first release or not. At the moment, it looks like it would be too much because it would take well into last year. Would you rather wait for the game to come out until next year with an editor, or do you prefer the game this year (with modding support, just not a full editor), and the editor later as an add-on? Personally, I prefer the latter.

(2) Actually it's not a background picture! The playable area of usually 2x2km is embedded into a fully rendered map of usually twice that size. So the hills in the backgrounds are real (but if not part of the playable area, you cannot enter there). Nikolay also stated that on some maps (I haven't seen it yer myself), you will have a battle going on around you in this area, so your own engagement will very much feel part of a bigger engagement.

(3) I think there are around a couple hundred different units that are currently modelled in the game. I am almost 100% sure that patches and add-ons will add to that list eventually.

Martin

Thanks for the quik reply!

Waiting into the next year for a scenario editor is no problem. Think I'll be busy enough playing the custom scenarious anyway. But please make sure that this replayability feature is not lost out of sight.

greets

Would you rather wait for the game to come out until next year with an editor, or do you prefer the game this year (with modding support, just not a full editor), and the editor later as an add-on? Personally, I prefer the latter.
I agree with that, I wait over three years for this game now. I want it as soon as possible. I'm fine with this solution, to get an editor / modding tools in an addon.

Originally posted by Graf York:

Thanks for the quik reply!

Waiting into the next year for a scenario editor is no problem. Think I'll be busy enough playing the custom scenarious anyway. But please make sure that this replayability feature is not lost out of sight.

greets

Point taken!

Good thing is that average playign time of a mission is 40 mins to an hour. Plus you can vary your forces foreach battle - gives you a lot of time to play with the original box. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by TuuSaR:

Modding/editing crowd is usually noisiest but that doesnt make them biggest in any game I know of.

Really?

Take a look at CMMODs and the number of people that have done a map or mod for CM. The mods/map editor keep the game alive for a long time after the initial play.

The ability to at least vary the setup and OOB is pretty important for ANY game coming out these days. Train track style play with the same objectives over and over(and the same AI setup) is a huge bummer.

The UI for IL2 battles is pretty easy to use, so I hope more than any feature that a rudimentary editor makes it in.

Bad ones I guess? tongue.gif

Just saying, I want random maps + battles. After the 30th time of coming around the same street corner, or the 20th time of blowing up PzIVH #305 with T-34/85M44 #826 (or whatever) it's going to be REALLY BORING.

That's all I do with CMBB... and I still love playing CMBB. That's why I no longer play Battlefield Vietnam, even though I have had it less time. It just gets boring even though I had fun playing the game.

Mike