How many PBEMs do you like to play at once?

Just wondering what the general concensus is out there re playing one PBEM at a time, vs having more than one going at once. I've never played more than one at a time. Playing only one game, it becomes all consuming as I put a lot of my idle time thought into it. I've found this to be quite enjoyable, and it has often payed off in the outcome of the game. I know a lot of you like to play a number of games at once, but I gotta think this takes away from your ability to put all your marbles into the one effort. Do you one-at-a-time players win more often, or does the multi-game player get more experience, and therefore more success? Any thoughts?

I normally play 2 PBEMS at a time. There's no reason behind it other than they're both two very close friends of mine whom I've been wargaming with for a while.

Even if I didn't play these guys, I'd probably be playing more than one PBEM at a time, but no more than 3 or 4. A typical PBEM turn usually takes me 15-20 mins, as long as my plan is still on track (this time can grow quite a bit if my opponent grabs the initiative and I have to adjust my battle plans).

At 15-20 mins a turn, I can play 3 or 4 turns a day, which means that my opponents will get at least one action turn and one orders turn from me a day, and I don't have to spend more than 1 hour a day on CM. On weekends or evenings that I have more time, I may play more.

I gotta think this takes away from your ability to put all your marbles into the one effort
I don't believe this to be the case. It may take you a minute or so at the beginning of each orders phase to analyse the current situation and refresh your memory, but other than that, I don't really see any detriments.

On the other hand, you get exposed to many different command styles. Strategies and tactics change enormously from player to player, and so as you play more, less and less will surprise you.

Phemur

Ermm....welll...I'm in a bit of a CM spin at the moment...so...erm...I'm playing...umm...nine PBEMs. I have two more, but in those games the opponents are currently in hibernation for one reason or another.

I hate kicking up the puter and finding no move waiting for me to enjoy. Hence one game at a time would drive me nuts.

I like fighting a bunch of guys because several of them are very much better than me and I learn a lot from them. Some aren't -- or, at least, aren't in the current game *L* -- and I get to restore my confidence *L* And a couple of the others are just nearby mates.

However, 9 is too many if you want a lot on else in yer life. *G* I usually run at about 4 or so: it's just that CMBB is soooooo damn irresistable!

I am playing 4 right now.. Have gone as high as 7 but I find over 5 it gets quite hectic, especially on a busy night smile.gif I guess whatever number you feel comfortable at works.. I try to spend 3-4 hours a day 4-5 days a week playin, and always try to provide one turn a day to my opponents. I dont like to rush my moves and love to check all possible LOS/LOF angles.

The scary part of all this is I spend the rest of my awake hours thinkin an analyzing the upcoming turns.... Is there a rehab center for CM addiction!! :D

I've only just started playing PBEM and am currently fighting three diabolical opponents. Three seems about right. Takes an hour of relaxation a day, and gives me something to daydream about while slogging thru my warehouse job. An excellent hobby. Can't wait to get home and sit down at the computer! (After kissing the wife of course, I usually don't forget... usually...)

I've been as high as 15 PBEMs, which I found to be way too many for my schedule.

I seem to be able to comfortably handle about 5-7 games at once. As HarryInk pointed out, I need to have at least a couple of turns waiting for me at the end of the day. If I fire up the computer and see nothing in my CM inbox, I get a little bummed. However, anything approaching 10 or more games is just too much for me and it begins to become a chore.

I have no problem keeping track of several PBEMs at once. When I first started PBEMing, I thought it would be tough to play games simulatenously. But once you fire up a turn, look at the terrain, and see your units, your train of thought comes back very quickly.

[ October 23, 2003, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: Green Hornet ]

I've got 6 going right, and most of those are multiple turns per night. All are from opponents found at The Proving Grounds, a couple posted in this thread (turns are out guys) smile.gif

Is anybody using PBEM Helper (or equivalent?). I couldn't manage without it. There's a couple of little features I'd like to see added to it someday, but otherwise, not enough praise can be given to it.

So far, playing 6 at a time hasn't been a liability, I don't think, I devote just as much time per turn as I would if I were just playing one. More than 6 though would be too overwhelming for me I believe though. 6 is tops at this point.

P.S. Link for the Proving Grounds is below, ya'll stop on by!

[ October 23, 2003, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: GJK ]

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. My one-at-a-time philosophy seems to be in the minority. Is there anybody out there that plays just one at a time? My time constraints are probably about the same as most people. A wife, kids activities, and an 8 to 5 job. Still, by playing only one game, I can almost always guarantee I'll make one move each night. Thirty turn games move pretty well that way, and are generally over in 20-25 days. As for the time it takes me to make a move, I generally start out thinking I'll have this one done in about 20 mins, but when I hit the send button, I realize a few hours have gone by. One move that always takes me a long time (in the range of 3 hrs or so) is the setup turn. I've done quite well using this approach. When the game is going good for me, and I know my opponent to be playing multiple games, I gotta wonder if that's a factor in my success. When you play a lot of games a once, does the wins and losses matter, or is the fun of playing and the competition more important.

Hey StormDog

I think by nature we are all competitive and want to win.. I find though, that as a novice to the game I can learn a lot from different opponents. Take my virtual friend GJK for example; not only do we play against each other but we also discuss things like; scenario design, force balance, etc.. So when playing him its a different kind of game then playing someone just to beat them... All the options are great IMO... if you had asked me 3 months ago would I PBEM, I would have said "Not Me"... now I find that it is a pleasent part of my daily routine... go figure.. but then again.. its just my opinion...

Regards

FredRocker

I use the PBEM helper and it saves all that silence, followed by the "Do I owe you or you owe me?" emails. Furthermore, with one friend here in Melbourne, Australia, I'm playing the trust/secure mode where we do 2 turns each email. It's making a slow and sneaking 48+ turn scenario move along quite nicely. Like direct non-violent action for activists, it comes *insert godlike voice* "Highly Reccommended". :D

Originally posted by HarryInk:

I use the PBEM helper and it saves all that silence, followed by the "Do I owe you or you owe me?" emails. Furthermore, with one friend here in Melbourne, Australia, I'm playing the trust/secure mode where we do 2 turns each email. It's making a slow and sneaking 48+ turn scenario move along quite nicely. Like direct non-violent action for activists, it comes *insert godlike voice* "Highly Reccommended". :D

What is PBEM Helper?

I've had CMBO for only a few months and am just beginning my first email game, which is also, of course, my first game against a human player. I'd be willing to try two more if anyone is willing to play a newbie and not slaughter me mercilessly. smile.gif

sanok29@hotmail.com

At one time, i've had 18 games going simultaneously....a mix of BO and BB against guys at the Blitzkrieg club.

But it was too much and led to my suffering from burnout....taking the summer off from wargaming and finding other hobbies helped renew my desire to play again. It wasn't long before i felt the withdrawal symptoms.

I think about 6 to 10 games is right for me.

BTW, theblitz.org is a great place to find opponents to PBEM with, although it keeps a permanent record of your wins and losses....in my case more of the latter. smile.gif

You can get PBEM Helper HERE .

It's a little bit of a trick getting it setup properly for the first time, but once you do, you won't believe how you could of managed without it.

Speaking of PBEM Helper, and perhaps I should email the author of it instead, but it works perfectly in CMBB, it will launch the game, go to PBEM mode, enter my password and have the turn ready to go. In CMBO, it loads the game to the splash screen but goes no further. When I go to options and select the cmbo.vbs script file for play, I get an error message saying that CMBO.VBS.md5 file is missing (which it is, I don't have one for CMBO, do for CMBB). Anybody have that file? Or is this just a known bug with the program?

Dunno what the particular problem with the PBEM Helper you've mentioned might be... but...

Sometimes I've had to nudge the process along by opening the load email option in CMBB or CMBO. Then the application flicks along nicely.

The PBEM Helper is also a sensitive little critter with regards to other internet applications being on at the same time. I haven't tracked the particular process that freezes it, but if I've started sending a turn and then go off fiddling about on Internet Explorer the PBEM/H sometimes chokes. Maybe Microsoft already has the knives out for it? *L*

And with regard to the original question:

I reckon the 4-6 games mark is best. Nine really is too many if you want to have a life away from work and the computer! Indeed, methinks, if you want a well rounded life, 3 games is prolly the go. But like I said, I hate an empty IN box when I get home!

(Just wait 'til a Napoleonics CM-style game comes out in the new year *rolls eyes*).

[ November 01, 2003, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: HarryInk ]