We need a “high-intensity” warfare opponent module ;).

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Of course I look forward to CMSF and will be looking to build campaigns as soon as I get my hands on it smile.gif . I can imagine all sorts of political assumptions that could lead to very interesting challenges for all.

But if Battlefront could just add a handful of the latest Russian toys to some module it would help matters ;) . One only has to assume that Russia throw its latest air-defence systems at Syria and US airpower suddenly becomes far less useable. I have read in Jane’s that Russia’s latest generation air-defences are just as effective as their latest anti-armour weapons.

When playing CMBB my favourite period is mid-war onwards due to the fact that “overall” both sides were more closely matched at the tactical level.

Will enjoy CMSF straight out of the box as much as any. Importantly all I hear about the features of the engine are spot-on...could not be better smile.gif . And Battlefront want to do the setting....which matter hugely.

All good fun,

All the best,

Kip.

"Will there be AA vehicles in the game, as they often have useful ground role capabilities "

...or they detract from ground capabilities! What's the name of that Bradley version with the x4 Stinger box instead of the x2 TOWs? Goalkeeper or something? I've seen more than a couple pictures of Bradleys with empty Stinger boxes out on patrol you-know-where.

"How would you rate the AI (both tactical & strategic) compared with the earlier versions of CM."

With CMx1 the scenario designer was only as good as the AI. With CMx2 the more complex AI is as good as a scenario designer. I shudder to think what a sloppy incompetent scenario designer could come up with! But once the scenario editor is properly learned and fully untilized we may see the equivalent of a 'Beethovan' of scenario designers come into our midst and proceed to blow our minds. :eek:

The AA Bradley is the M6 Linebacker - Easily modelled, just set TOW ammunition to zero for a normal Bradley.

Stuff like the Avenger (humvee AA truck) Stormer HVM and ADATS (although the last is deliberately dual-role) have utility in the ground role which is different to everything else, and as such have more merit for inclusion.

There is a LAV AA turret that mounts a 20mm gatling. :D

Originally posted by Caesar:

Sixxkiller, How would you rate the AI (both tactical & strategic) compared with the earlier versions of CM.

As Mickey D says - the strategic AI is only good as the person who designs the 'AI Plan'. For the AI to attack, defend or whatever the scenario designer has to design a plan for it to operate to.

This is one of the fascinating aspects of the scenario design editor (I reckon the editor is a game in itself - the more you use it the more you learn about it. Frankly it knocks spots of the old CMX1 Editor, which good as it is not a match to the flexibility a scenario deisgner has with the CMSF editor).

What I found for designing an AI plan was having to think more in the role of the overall commander and think "How will the enemy attack?" - then base a response on possible course of actions. That's one main option. Then you have to take into account the 'What ifs' and before you know it you are designing a symphony of movement. I must admit to getting a kick out of designing an AI plan - then effectively playing against myself when testing the scenario smile.gif

The other great thing is you can design several differant plans and set their frequency of use. So even when you re-play the scenario you are never sure if the AI will attack the same way. It might, but then again it might not. The scope for evil scenario design just got bigger smile.gif

This more than anyother aspect I reckon is going to set good scenario deisgners apart from the others. The map tools you have pretty much make it hard to design a poor map - it's got it all smile.gif

Cheers fur noo

George