Making the move from CMx1 FAQs

It strikes me there must be a pile of questions that will come up time and again as people try to convert.

I had a look for some of mine and didn't see them, but there's a pile of posts. Maybe we can collect them here.

It also occured to me that some guidance about how to get started from CMx1 perspective is a good idea.

Here is my suggestion:

1) Go straight to the tank demo, don't do the basic training. The basic training is a let-down.

2) Go straight to Vet mode, don't do Basic. You'll want to see relative spotting in action, and Basic doesn't support it.

3) DO read about how to control the camera, and be ready for it to be different to CMx1. It's really worth a bit of effor there. There's only half a page to read of that.

4) DO read about Relative Spotting. It's too confusing to try to figure it out on the screen: again, just one page of reading will get you over the hump. It's neat!

Ok, now here's one question to start:

How can I tell if my unit is targetting an enemy unit? IE Where did the targetting line go?

[ July 31, 2007, 03:07 AM: Message edited by: GreenAsJade ]

Originally posted by GreenAsJade:

This probably is a general question rather than a converting one, but anyhow: what's that big yellow circle that appears when I click an enemy unit?

And can I turn it off?

I think you see that on the lowest level of hardness - it is the covered arc that they have been setup - ifyou move up to Vet or Elite you don't see it - I think!

How can I tell if my unit is targetting an enemy unit? IE Where did the targetting line go?

If your unit is selected, you should see a red line going to the unit which is targeted.

If your selected unit is directing artillery fire you'll see an orange/yellow line going to the artillery target.

If your selected unit is directing an airstrike you'll see a blue line going to the airstrike target.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> If your unit is selected, you should see a red line going to the unit which is targeted.

That's what I'd have thought.

Since you say it is so, I'll have to go and have another look, but it didn't seem to be the case.

I mean during playback in WEGO mode BTW.

</font>

The red line for targetting appear only if you set a target for your unit.

I often let my squads decide of their target by themselves. In this case, no red line.

But you see where your guys are firing smile.gif Just follow the bullets :D

The yellow circle when selecting a unit mean that this unit is wounded (green : ok, yellow : wounded, red : dead or too wounded for continue).

This is what I see too: if my guy is deciding to fire at someone, there is no targetting line (unlike CMx1).

So if I'm watching an enemy unit (selected) and see fire coming in from my group over on the horizon, how to I quickly tell which one (of mine) it is that's shooting?

In CMx1 I just follow the red line... and CMx1 tells me (anyhow, on the screen, who it is and how far they are away).

GaJ

How can I tell what the terrain is at a given point while plotting moves?

EG I know I want to plot to "the side of that hill over there".

I CMx1 the spot under the cursor tells me if its rocky or anything else nasty.

How do I achieve that with CMSF? (Short of moving over there and looking closely, then moving back to the view from my tank, then trying to figure out where it was I was pointing at).

How do I make my tanks "do what I tell them".

IE In the demo, I select the second tank from the right and give it a uttlerly straight ahead order to the hill in the distance, with a "Hunt" order...

... it reliably turns about 45 degrees right and heads off that way (*).

At first I thought it was responding to threats that appear immediately, but actually it seems to make that move even before the threats are spotted.

In CMx1 units would only do TacAI driven moves in extreme circumstances (such as being ordered somewhere they physically can't go, or being severely beaten up).

Is there a command for that here? Or are we more at the mercy of the TacAI than before?

GaJ

*: Note - this is completely reproducible. It's be interesting to have some understanding of why it happens.

[ July 31, 2007, 03:02 AM: Message edited by: GreenAsJade ]

Is there some way to "Zoom" the unit scale, so I can see what's over there in the distance?

In CMx1 there was "C". This allowed for more immersive play because you could be watching from your unit's vantage point, and see "what the gunner is seeing through the sights" ... IE a magnified version of what's off in the distance.

In CMSF so far I can only see floating icons: how do I get that "I know what's going on" experience?

(Which is possibly less realist, I'll readily admit: probably these days the commanders are just seeing icons on the screen. But so far I find myself longing to see what that thing is!)

GaJ

[ July 31, 2007, 03:12 AM: Message edited by: GreenAsJade ]

Is there some way to "Zoom" the unit scale, so I can see what's over there in the distance?

In CMx1 there was "C". This allowed for more immersive play because you could be watching from your unit's vantage point, and see "what the gunner is seeing through the sights" ... IE a magnified version of what's off in the distance.

That is not present in CM:SF.