Heads up. old blog.

vincere

English has been on signs for quite some time, IIRC. I know that the Iraqi highway signs were in English before the invasion.

In fact, if you go into a Soviet made export vehicle in the ME you most likely will find the writing on things like the dash and other places in English. The reasoning was simple.. there was a better chance of the soldiers knowing English than Russian. At least that's what I've been told and the few Iraqi "bring homes" I've seen were indeed in English.

Steve

Originally posted by Sergei:

Actually I doubt if you'd see road signs in English in Syria. If anything, French would be more usual (and Baghdad is not French spelling).

The writing, colouring and style of the signs were actually taken off of actual road signs in Syria, so if you have any questions about their authenticity you best take it up with the Syrian roads authority ;)

Currently I think that there is maybe half dozen different signs, but we will likely add more if time permits. And yup, they should be moddable!

[ November 14, 2006, 03:06 AM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

The writing, colouring and style of the signs were actually taken off of actual road signs in Syria, so if you have any questions about their authenticity you best take it up with the Syrian roads authority ;)

Next you'll be telling me they have MacDonalds in China. That's just your typical ignorant projection of misconceptions, you American!!!

:D

Can such items be added, ie. not just modding the ones originally included? Even embedded into a scenario? Eg. if you made scenario "Five miles to St.Mere-Eglise", you could add a texture for a sign saying "St.Mere-Eglise 8 km" and then use it just for that scenario. So you wouldn't have to use "Caen 2 km" or "Baghdad" signs for that, or to replace existing textures.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A question just dawned on me about those roadsigns (and other similar stuff that will be in the game).

Will they block LOS or are they pure eye-candy not affecting the action? I imagine a Stryker parked close to a road sign (or billboard or abandoned truck) inadvertantly blocking its view of that RPG crew sneaking up the alley. If they do block LOS then big city billboards (advertising either Nokia or Assad?) would add an extra layer of uncertainty. Plus imagine all the wacky billboard mods that would pop-up!

Second question - Roadsigns/telephone poles/lamp posts: Solid map objects to contend with or drive-throughable chimera like CMx1 scattered trees?

[Oh, and sorry about resurrecting an old post entitled "New Blog" :rolleyes: ]

Word back from the Mountain is that LOF is somewhat blocked, depending on what the object is and orientation. However, LOS is not blocked. This is intentional because none of them are big enough to offer significant blockage. Even that roadsign doesn't offer much in the way of blockage. At least not in a way that could be easily simulated.

Steve

Hmm, but will they set off RPG's?

I see a forward thinking commander, such as myself <ahem>, cunningly affixing roadsigns and billboards to his Stryker platoon. Said platoon would then advance, slowly, and blend in with the urban environment. If spotted, the Syrian RPG's would harmlessly detonate on signs for wireless carriers, billboards for free dental exams by LoneSyrian - or somesuch. Ah, the possibilities.....

;)

Sounds good.

Ken

[ December 06, 2006, 04:06 AM: Message edited by: c3k ]