Land Warrior to be fielded in Iraq 2007/Stryker stuff

This discussion of the current status of Land Warrior seems to me to be highly germane to CM:SF and goes way beyond anything I've seen or read so far. The Beta test was apparently the Stryker installation, but the upcoming one will be a recon battalion, on the troops, not just vetronics.

http://www.strategypage.com/dls/articles/2006531224030.asp

Remote Weapon Station issues and fixes

http://www.strategypage.com/dls/articles/200531422.asp

Stryker upgrades

http://www.strategypage.com/dls/articles/2005419195734.asp

Russians like the Stryker. In a separate article, (not given here) we learn that they've copied the slat armor for their own BTR-90.

http://www.strategypage.com/dls/articles/2005718232136.asp

Here are two somewhat contradictory views of mortar survivability in the face of U.S. CM/CB capabilities.

http://www.strategypage.com/dls/articles/2005102514319.asp

http://www.strategypage.com/dls/articles/200531422.asp

Regards,

John Kettler

Thanks for the links John. I'll check them out soon.

As far as I know the Land Warrior program, as it is being implemented right now, is called the Stryker Warrior program. It is a scaled back version and is far more practical to implement sooner rather than later. I have a senior officer friend who was somehow involved with the program when he was at the Pentagon last year. He couldn't say much, but what he was able to tell me backed up some other info I had seen. The communications part of Land Warrior is pretty much the only thing that will be implemented within CM:SF's timeframe. Wonder if some of the articles will contradict that :D

Steve

Read some of the articles. I think Dunnigan might be slightly misinformed in that first article. The NOMAD helmet display units sent to Iraq were a failure, but it seems that is what he is refering to when he said:

That gear worked well, and the troops were enthusiastic about using a vehicle that was booted, rather than simply started
As far as I know everything tied into the NOMAD display is gone. That means the camera at the end of the gun and some other neat tie ins to the RPDA (Rugged Personal Digital Assistant). The RHC (Rugged Handheld Computer) is also apparently out for the time being. Integration of these devices into the uniform also out. Battery life, cooling, weight, and bulk problems all too unresolved to field.

From what I can tell the only stuff being fielded soon, that makes any difference in CM terms, is the RPDA (already in use) with new BFT (Blue Force Tracker) capabilities. I think the wi-fi system will be in place soon, if it isn't already. That will extend the capabilities of the RPDA.

Steve

Wouldn't any technologically competent army be able to track down the constant radio traffic going on. Ofcourse actually reading the messages isn't possible because of encryption, but tracking down the location should be. Sending messages once in 10 seconds by every soldier sounds like the enemy is going to have good situational awarness as well...

Just a warning about strategypage - I often spot errors in their articles on subjects I know about. It's not inconceivable that there are errors on subjects I don't know so much about.

In addition, the comment that "The Russians like Stryker so much they copied the slat armour" is just daft. The British Army has employed Slat armour on their CVR(T) and Challenger 2 and that doesn't mean that they are queing up to buy a Mowag Piranha III with a fake mustache and glasses. It's a simple exploit of a known flaw in the widely fielded RPG7 warhead.

Originally posted by Drusus:

Wouldn't any technologically competent army be able to track down the constant radio traffic going on. [snips]

Practically none of the cheerleading for digitization I have ever seen bothers itself with even the briefest consideration of any serious EW threat.

As a colleague of mine at Fort Halstead used to say, our normal assumption is that the EW threat is presented by an enemy equipped with the electronic equivalent of a sharpened mango.

All the best,

John.

About Russian going for Slat armor, I believe it may be the other way around. I was under the impression that the U.S. design could be credited to bar armor fielded by Russia for operations in Chechnia.

About Stryker upgrade story - old news. Ever since the initial worn-out fleet of Strykers was replaced with a new batch (last year? Time really flies) extra armor plate could be seen on all the vehicle photos I've seen.

A bit of NEW Stryker news. Stryker Brigade's been ordered out of Mosul and south to Bagdhad. Uh oh.

Originally posted by flamingknives:

Just a warning about strategypage - I often spot errors in their articles on subjects I know about. It's not inconceivable that there are errors on subjects I don't know so much about.

In addition, the comment that "The Russians like Stryker so much they copied the slat armour" is just daft. The British Army has employed Slat armour on their CVR(T) and Challenger 2 and that doesn't mean that they are queing up to buy a Mowag Piranha III with a fake mustache and glasses. It's a simple exploit of a known flaw in the widely fielded RPG7 warhead.

I think Strategypage has a tendency to pull stuff out of their asses and post it as fact to mold their "reporting" to their own world view.

Here is an interesting picture in regards to Russians copying the Stryker cage armor:

http://www.battlefield.ru/tanks/is2/is2_61.jpg

I was working on this system in 1996 when they made the first large scale tests. I was an instructor on the equipment and software and it was crap at that time. The ones I have seen lately look like an improvement but not by much. Still too many wires and cables. Still too much junk to get in your way.

The Thermal sight for the M16 was nice as were some of the IR light toys but overall the system just isn't ready for combat. These articles are the same as the guys at the Battle Lab were spewing back in '96 when they assured us that the system was ready for field trials.

After the NTC rotation one thing really stood out in the OPFOR AAR which we got after we got home. The OPFOR were able to pinpoint the location of company and higher CPs with little effort because of the constant FM emmissions. Unless they have switched to neutrino emissions or something this will still be a major weakness. It doesn't matter if you can tell what you are saying, if you can find them you can drop nasty things on top of them. Then it won't matter what they were talking about.