The obligatory military service thread. Where and when.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

USAF 77-99 and 02-04

Lackland and Shepard AFB's for basic and technical training 77-78, aircraft maintenance (crew chief)

Langley AFB Virginia 78-80 (F-15)

RAF Upper Heyford 80-83 (F-111)

Nellis AFB Vegas baby 83-90 (F-16)

Tonopah Test Range Nevada 90-91 (F-117)

Kunsan S Korea 91-92 (F-16)

Luke AFB Arizona 92-95 (F16)

Kunsan S Korea 95-96 (F-16)

Misawa Japan 96-99 (F-16)

Retire in 99

Returned to active duty in 02

Shaw AFB S. Carolina 02-04 (F16)

Returned to retired status in 04

Several TDY's including W. Germany, Canada, Saudia Arabia (GWI), Spain, Italy, and more

Received 11 months worth of Jaeger infantry and NCO training from various units, among them Savo and North-Carelia Brigades, starting in 1994.

Since 1995 reserve rehearses, most interesting ones in and near Hamina and Lappeenranta - Kouvola axis. (<=> the main attack route for our possible adversary, the a2yellow)

Current reserve rank Senior Sergeant. I do have a war-time assingment, which is partly revealed at the bottom of this message. Translates to a light mobile infantry, supposedly the men and equipment are the second best of what we have here. ;) (after those Rapid Reaction Units)

Originally posted by thelmia:

USN 8/92-10/96 CTR2 NSGA Adak, NSGA Hanza Okinawa

Colorado Army National Guard 4/98-4/01 SGT 98H, 92A

Nothing special, mostly listened to morse code on the radio.

My dad was at an Air Force listening station in Japan. He used to listen to Russian bombers flying out of Vlad.

Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Angryson:

A, B, and HHC 3/187, 101st ABN (AASLT) from 97-01

deployed to Haiti OCT 99-FEB 00.

Rakkasans! You didn't know a Josh Orpen there did you? I think he was with 187 but I don't remember exactly where. </font>

How often do you guys who are reservists in other than U.S. armies train? I know a lot of countries use a smaller standing but a larger reserve component so I was just wondering what the differences are between our systems.

Canadian reservists are all volunteers, so the requirements are different than in Europe, I think. We're required to do a minimum of one training session per month to avoid becoming NES (Non-Effective Strength). That said, most units parade once a week during the training year (September to May) with one weekend exercise a month, sometimes two. Individual training takes place in the summer with courses, and there is usually a brigade concentration for a week at some point in the year. All of this training is effectively "optional" since we do not have job protection legislation.

Canadian reserve units are skeletal - infantry "regiments" usually have a battalion headquarters and one or two rifle companies, understrength. That said, our unit in Calgary is doing pretty well. We had 26 soldiers in Afghanistan in the last calendar year from a strength of about 200 on paper, and currently have 60 or so in training or on their way to deployment in Afghanistan. We just had another fellow decorated for his work in training African Union soldiers in the use of infantry fighting vehicles. Lots of opportunity for individual employment overseas, but to date, no reserve unit has been activated for overseas, simply because we don't do things that way here.

Between 10 and 20 percent of overseas deployments by Regular units are typically made of up individual augmentees from reserve units, so that is one of the focuses of reserve training. Nonetheless, reserve units do the normal cycles of individual and collective training, with different focuses each year. Our unit has done defensive training one year, amphibious stuff the next, heliborne the year after, then mountain ops, then Three Block War with an urban focus (even did a combined anti-terrorism exercise with the local railway police), etc., so they've been good about mixing things up and keeping them interesting.

Training is done to the Regular Force standard, usually in the summer (full time for 2 or more weeks) on standardized courses with Regular instructors. Basic training and NCO training is being done these days in the units on weekends during the training year.

Thanks Mike.

It is always fascinating, to me at least, to hear how other militaries work. I remember being a reservist when our monthly drill consisted of avoiding the CSM in between cleaning something at the armory. Probably a lot different now, that was in the early 90's.

Angryson,

I always considered 6-502 (Berlin) my home. Even after they shut it down.

Served in the Green Howards (UK infantry regiment) for just over 6 years.

87-89 londonderry, Northern Ireland

90-93 Catterick garrison, North Yorks,spending time in Cypress, West Germany, kenya, falkland isles and another 6 month tour of NI, this time Armah, bandit country.

I served most of my time in mortar platoon, fun times indeed. I've had Gerry Adams in my SUSAT sight and knelt in Martin Mcgiuness front doorway.

No the buffs arn't part of the Green Howards. Although there is a story dating back to when the regiment was formed that there were two regiments, each commanded by a man called Howard. The reason for the 'Green' in Howards was because of the colour of the facings on the uniform. So they were named Green Howards and Buff Howards because of buff colouring.

I havn't heard of the buffs except from this story so i'm not sure what there called now.

Originally posted by Mr Reality:

No the buffs arn't part of the Green Howards. Although there is a story dating back to when the regiment was formed that there were two regiments, each commanded by a man called Howard. The reason for the 'Green' in Howards was because of the colour of the facings on the uniform. So they were named Green Howards and Buff Howards because of buff colouring.

I havn't heard of the buffs except from this story so i'm not sure what there called now.

Thanks mate. I did a scenario for CMAK based on the Buff Howards at Robaa pass in Tunisia.

I seem to recall that one of the SAS guys who wrote about the first Gulf War was originally a Green Howard.

Are the Buff Howards part of your regiment or just have a similar name?

I always loved training with the Royal Army.

On the flycrap and pepper front, Britain does not have a Royal Army and never has. While the British Army has never had the appelation "Royal", many individual regiments and corps have.

As for your point about reserves changing since the 90s - wars tend to do that, don't they!

National Guard 11B on and off past 12 years.(out since Feb.)

Really just a holding pen for active duty as unit has been activated 3 times since 2002 and their going back again. I'm sitting this one out as I fear the wife more than snipers at this point.

Funny, I use to think that for the National Guard Infantry to get activated the Russians would have to be attacking the local water treatment plant...my how times change.

Active Duty Army 11B (2003-2006)

2003 - Ft. Benning, GA (OSUT): C Co., 1/19

2003-2004 - Camp Giant, South Korea: A Co., 1/506th IN (Air Assault), 2ID - RTO

2004-2005 - Camp Habbaniyah (Camp Manhattan), Iraq: A Co., 1/506th IN (Air Assault), 2BCT, 2ID - Driver/RTO, team leader, SAW gunner

2005-2006 - Ft. Carson, CO: Unit redesignated A Co. 2/12 IN, 2BCT, 2ID - Rifleman, SAW gunner