Another Panther A mod posted

Okay folks I promise this is the last 'A' mod (well maybe not - got to do winter yet ;) ). This time it's a rough tri-colour version with optional markings for 12th SS Panzer Div:

panther_a_tri_rough_12ss1.jpg

Some more snaps here

As CMMODS is still not quite back on it's feet I've made a temporary download page - it's not ideal but it's better than nothing. The new one is called 'Tri-colour rough'. All of my other mods are available there as well in case you missed them.

From my previous Panther A announcement a couple of you had suggestions/questions that I forgot to reply to - so:

Dressler said:

if you don't mind my asking, what RGB values are you using for your dark green and red-brown cammo colors?
Don't mind at all Okay for these mods (the A's) green is 67, 93, 49 and red is 133, 61, 55 - they are on individual layers set to multiply at 75-85%. The % changes between mods depending on how much colour is used and blurring etc. Also I sometimes tweak the colours for different tones - the G 'late' tri-colour has a much more grey green. I do this using a hue/saturation adjustment layer. What needs to be kept in mind is the effect of other layers on the colours - zimmerit, dirt, rust etc all impact the basic colours usually muting them gradually. The only real explanation is to look at the layered files, but they are anything from 2 - 10 mb a piece so I can't upload them without eating up my web-space. Maybe one day I'll do a tutorial.

leakyD said

The only suggestion I have is to not cammo the spare track on the hull and turret (The dunkel gelb colors w. "raw" track are incredible!). Not sure if it's realistic or not, but it just *looks* funny for some reason.
I tend to agree with you on this one leaky. I think the 'raw' track just lends extra weight and definition to the overall look. I will patch this one at some point as an option - sorry MikeT ;) From various photos I've looked at it seems that the crews painted the spare tracks sometimes, but I guess it would depend on how much time they had, and how much track they used for repairs.

Cheers

LS

Originally posted by Jack Carr:

This is excellent! Any chance of you doing some mods for CMBB? Certainly would like to have these Panthers on the Ost Front!

Oh yes :D

I'll be doing them pretty soon although I will have to do some major reworks to get the bmp's to fit the Ost Panthers. Testing will get under way in the next few weeks. Unfortunately it's not a simple conversion and there are like 5!! variations to do! Still I'm hoping that the Ost Panthers will at least work pretty much out-of-the-box as il Panthera di Roma when CMAK is released.

Cheers

LS

Thanks for the reply. I always like to get an idea of how others do their mods, especially if they look as stunning as yours. Usually, with my cammo jobs I set the colors to multiply anywhere from 35-65% and Gaussian blur the end result at about 87, if I'm doing a sprayed paint job. If the cammo is hard-edged, I don't usually blur it that much. I'm still learning my way around PSP so all the tips are appreciated.

Hi Dressler,

Yeah - I use a gaussian blur for sprayed jobs - sometimes it's also useful to add a bit of noise to the spray layer just to give it a slightly rougher finish, how much depends on the scale of the bmp and how rough you want to go. Also it's quite difficult to get the proportions the same across the various differently scaled/distorted bmps.

BTW I use PhotoShop to make my mods, not familiar with PSP, but I can see from your comments that it is pretty similar and also the couple of Tutorials I've seen seem to work pretty well for both apps.

I just wish soemone would pay me loadsa $$££$$££ to do this modding then I could do it full time and give up the day job ;)

Cheers

LS

Originally posted by Lucky_Strike:

Hi Dressler,

Yeah - I use a gaussian blur for sprayed jobs - sometimes it's also useful to add a bit of noise to the spray layer just to give it a slightly rougher finish, how much depends on the scale of the bmp and how rough you want to go. Also it's quite difficult to get the proportions the same across the various differently scaled/distorted bmps.

BTW- I'd say you'd certainly be qualified to do it full time. Those Panthers are absolutely fantastic.

BTW I use PhotoShop to make my mods, not familiar with PSP, but I can see from your comments that it is pretty similar and also the couple of Tutorials I've seen seem to work pretty well for both apps.

I just wish soemone would pay me loadsa $$££$$££ to do this modding then I could do it full time and give up the day job ;)

Cheers

LS

I know what you mean about the proportions. I've been working on an ambush patterned King Tiger for CMBO, and the dots are all over the map as far as size goes, even though I painted them all roughly the same size in regards to number of pixels. For example, the ones on the turret front came out about a third the size of those on the superstructure top.

[ October 17, 2003, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: Dressler ]

From various photos I've looked at it seems that the crews painted the spare tracks sometimes, but I guess it would depend on how much time they had, and how much track they used for repairs.
Makes sense.

I guess if I was a TC (track commander)again, I'd be one of those anal: "Do it right, guys".

Also, I think it just looks pro, too!

Great stuff, Lucky. We truly appreciate the efforts.

As for getting paid, well, you could make a simple webiste and stick a paypal link on it. Whatever it takes, baby!

:D

Oh, and I'm no modder (just a dime-a-dozen slut), but it'd be swell to have you post over in Gautrek's site when you get the BB and AK ones done. He's trying to build a history so there's an easy way of referencing various mods.

As big thanks to everyone for the encouraging comments ;)

Originally posted by Dressler:

I know what you mean about the proportions. I've been working on an ambush patterned King Tiger for CMBO, and the dots are all over the map as far as size goes, even though I painted them all roughly the same size in regards to number of pixels. For example, the ones on the turret front came out about a third the size of those on the superstructure top.

Urgh - I have nightmares about ambush camo patterns - really tough one to crack. The only way I found to get them roughly in proportion is to do one bmp - say the hull top - then keep that open at all times as a ref point, and magnify the other bmps to match the first bmp and then apply the dots using whatever size brush as appropriate. It will never be perfect unless you actually resize all the bmps to the same proportions, however you'd have to then rescale them back to make them reasonably manageable. This is partly why I increased the scale of some of my Panther bmps - basically allows for better/easier matching and detail. Make sense?

Originally posted by leakyD

As for getting paid, well, you could make a simple webiste and stick a paypal link on it. Whatever it takes, baby!

LOL - what I need is a benefactor with big pockets! :D

Oh, and I'm no modder (just a dime-a-dozen slut), but it'd be swell to have you post over in Gautrek's site when you get the BB and AK ones done. He's trying to build a history so there's an easy way of referencing various mods.

Went over to Gautrek's site but he doesn't have a CMBO section yet so I suggested he puts up a list for BO and then I can post some links there. Of course I will post links when I get these babies ported to BB and AK - thanks for the tip.

Cheers

LS

Went over to Gautrek's site but he doesn't have a CMBO section yet so I suggested he puts up a list for BO and then I can post some links there. Of course I will post links when I get these babies ported to BB and AK - thanks for the tip.
Oh yes he does now.

I have just added a single forum for CMBO.

So come and have a look.

smile.gif

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by gautrek:

]Oh yes he does now.

I have just added a single forum for CMBO.

So come and have a look.

smile.gif

As mentioned you are the dogs proverbials - thank you very much - will continue to post links there as well.

Cheers

LS </font>

• 3 weeks later...

...get in line. tongue.gif

Seriously: really nice work on those Panthers. They give me a reason to fire CMBO up again. smile.gif

And it looks like you're doing this on a Mac, too!

Originally posted by AndrewTF:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Lucky_Strike:

...get in line. tongue.gif

Seriously: really nice work on those Panthers. They give me a reason to fire CMBO up again. smile.gif

And it looks like you're doing this on a Mac, too! </font>