Air Strike request

I agree, but I'd just like to be able to send an Apache or A-10 in the general direction of where I just saw or suspect a tank or group of tanks to be. These things are supposed to be able to cruise around the battlefield and kill tanks,not kill them based on an individual fire mission, one tank at a time, under direct guidance from an FO. I find them useless for killing tanks in this game, by the time I have a target vehicle under direct observation and wait the appropriate mission time, something else has already engaged and killed the tank, (or been killed by them.) In many way CM1 had it right when aircraft attacked targets of opportunity without being directed by an FO. I think the CM2 interface works great for artillery but leaves a lot to be desired for aircraft. In the Factory Outlet scenario I sent two heavy attack runs at a building with an apache and the thing missed every time! I finally leveled it using artillery, but what a waste of time and ammo.

Ha! It's like you guys were reading my mind. I have been dicussing this in skunkworks.

Excerpt: Air power is something I have not gotten to use a lot in game, odd since we own the sky, (gameplay balance I suppose) but what little I used the AH-64 rockets were just why off in thier accuracy. I mean we are talking they hit EVERYWHERE (offmap/onmap) but where they are targeted.

I find that the most powerful airpower in the world is somewhat lacking in CMSF. Artillery is working beautifully but something is just not right about airpower. It is unweldy, the FO makes it unresponsive. Area fire should implement more autonomous control (which it does not now) of the air platform and point target should give us that micromanagment control (as it does now)

Yes, it does. But the area one can select is rather limited. A larger selectable area or a command that would have them scan the whole map for targets would be nice. Maybe even as option to be preset by scenario designers. This would also increase the threat of friendly fire. In RL, if not called in on a specific target, aircraft would be given a certain attack or patrol zone where they would look for targets on their own (AH-64Ds and F-15Es have ground radars to detect and engage targets) or through JSTARS.

Yeah, in Strike Force you can only call the airpower in on a place the FO can actually see; but in reality if you see a bunch of tanks go behind a hill you can call in a grid reference off the map. You don't actually need to have eyes on where you want the planes or helos to go and look for targets.

Birdstrike,

E models use the 9-line from JTAC and then follow up with SNIPER pods for LGB delivery, otherwise the 9-line gives the location for the JDAM delivers.

Strafes DO NOT happen in a line except for Hollywood. The footage from when the 391st went to CENTAF shows the burst is a POINT weapon due to speed of rounds and limited time.

Remember that the a/c only hold 4-6 seconds of fire (except for A-10s) so its short short bursts when needed.

You do get an approach line developed in the 9-line to avoid friendly fire, but the guy on the ground isn't going to tell the pilot how to fly...just what to kill and where its at.

An interesting article on the future of close air support (CAS):

"Close Air Support Using Armed UAVs?" - Naval Institute Proceedings (at Military.com)

For the CMSF players who have had things go "boom!" in the wrong places, here's a passage from the article:

"...The following quote from a Marine F/A-18 pilot describes a close air sortie during a combined arms exercise. These types of remarks are not unusual:

'At first, I couldn't even talk with the FAC [forward air controller]—we screwed around for twenty minutes trying to get comms. When we finally got the nine-line, we had to push the time-on-target back five minutes, then the marking round went out late and the FAC's laser designator wasn't working. I ended up going around on the first pass because the FAC couldn't see me. And then my wingie dropped his first bomb in the middle of nowhere. We ended up finally getting eyes on the target and killing it, but it was a friggin' circus.'"