Play aids.

I don't think play aids like removing trees, and resizing units have been discussed. I know that I personally take the play aids for granted most of the time. But realising that they could be missing from CMx2 I'd like to make the point of how helpful they are. I rarely use them in other games, but with CM I regularly use almost all of them. I hope to see the current aids in the next titles?

Also, I dont know what the next generation of graphics will do for seeing the lay of the land, but if there's any improvement from having a grid mod why not just include the option.

And it would be a pretty short game too.

Depends on where you live. Get the right drugs and from what I've heard you might be able to do a turn in a community campaign game.

But then again maybe not.

[ June 26, 2006, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: vincere ]

Back to game play aids - ahem .

I recall how Matt had said he disliked playing the CMx1 games at 1:1 scale because the units looked like ants on the board. That's one BFC member who would be in favor of scaleable units, unless the CMx2 environment is radically different from CMx1 in some unknown way.

I wish I knew if there was any correlation at all between the Drop Team interface and CMx2! Drop Team does not have scaleable units but it does have that useful corner topo map and other nifty situational awareness innovations. I said it 6 months ago, I'll say it again. I'd kill for a half-dozen CMSF screenshots to analyze.

I use play aids all the time in CM. When I was new to the game and enjoyed the scenery they were often off. But as focus has shifted away from looks to favor big battles and thinking games the play aids are on all the time. I use +4 scale, bases, show all lines, notifications (pinned, eliminated etc) and labels.

I'd like more play aids if possible. Being able to draw/write on a layer as an aid-memoire is my pet peeve.

Operations graphics, please give me the ability to draw a line of departure,phase lines, unit boundries, objective box, suspected obstacle boxes etc, etc. I don't need them to interact with my units just remain static on the map surface. I would like to be able to figure out when to shift my supporting fires in a attack beforehand, make an educated guess as to where my opponet has his mines, wire, etc and be able to mark that on the map, as well as being able to mark the key terrain features I need to hold in order to control the objective.

Nothing fancy, just something that looks like a planned path in CM1, but includes the distance counter like the LOS tool, and has the ability to be labeled like a landmark,,