IDF

It's not as if I'm jones'n for some hot hot IDF action, but it does strike me as a bit odd that a 2007-set wargame in Syria does not even offer the merest option for IDF forces.

Given such proximity to Damascus and their, er, success with prior engagements, one would think -- espicially after the inclusion of all sorts of tanjential forces in CMBB -- that this would not be an unreasonable stretch.

I'd much more expect IDF forces in a "scenario pack" than say your traditional UN mismash of Norwegian, Nigerians, etc.

Originally posted by Sergei:

If USA and Arab allies (read: Iraq) were to attack Syria, do you think that White House would even dare to consider bringing up the option of asking Israel to come along? Because there is no freaking way that Israel and, say, Iraq or Jordan would be allies in a war.

It's the same reason why they didn't participate in the first Gulf War.

Originally posted by Sergei:

If USA and Arab allies (read: Iraq) were to attack Syria, do you think that White House would even dare to consider bringing up the option of asking Israel to come along? Because there is no freaking way that Israel and, say, Iraq or Jordan would be allies in a war.

I agree that, in real life, they would probably ask Israel to stay on the sidelines, but CMSF is a game, I hope the IDF is added in a later module.

Iskander wrote:

I'd much more expect IDF forces in a "scenario pack" than say your traditional UN mismash of Norwegian, Nigerians, etc.
I don't think the UN route or forces should be explored at all.

Considering the setting (Syria 2007), modelling one of the ERRF (joint European Rapid Reaction Force) units would be much more wiser and interesting bet. Especially marketing wise.

However, ERRF's initial mission description does not include full scale wars, rather military interventions. But the UN "peace-keeping" or other missions have been traditionally much more limited than the projected use of these units (exception being Korea), so it's not that far-fetched to think one or two of such units would particapate the US led invasion to Syria or other countries near european mainland, IMHO. If not for anything else than to prevent a humanitarian catastrophe or somefink...

Of course these things are in a state of "work in progress" politically.

Well, some basic info (not OOBs) can be found from here: ERRF-wiki

Basically, the future OOBs are either still on a planning board or state secrets. The cooperation with NATO is still undecided.

The collapse of EU's constitution is affecting as well, but NOT directly.

OOB of the German-Dutch-Finnish "regiment" is pretty much carved in stone, but the info seems not to be public. That unit will be ready in 2007, interestingly enough.

EDIT: some typos

[ October 10, 2005, 04:36 AM: Message edited by: SSgt Viljuri ]

I agree that any anti-Syrian coalition would NOT include IDF participation. I'd guess that any U.S. administration facing such a situation would pull every tool out of the box to keep the IDF on their side of the border.

Given that, I'd hope that the next installment/module would be British forces, then Euro RRF.

Regards,

Ken

Originally posted by Iskander:

It's not as if I'm jones'n for some hot hot IDF action, but it does strike me as a bit odd that a 2007-set wargame in Syria does not even offer the merest option for IDF forces.

Given such proximity to Damascus and their, er, success with prior engagements, one would think -- espicially after the inclusion of all sorts of tanjential forces in CMBB -- that this would not be an unreasonable stretch.

If you're interested in this kind of scenario, check out "The Star and the Crescent" from Shrapnel Games! Although it concentrates on the Yom Kippur War, it does address an altercation with the Syrians in 2009.

The Star and the Crescent

[ October 10, 2005, 08:13 AM: Message edited by: B00M$LANG ]

The US and Allies in such a war as is being depicted in the game would most likely prefer the Israeli's to stay out of the fight unless totally necessary.

In the game, there will be Arab and Muslim forces fighting with the Allies, and I seriously doubt any of those nations would team up with Israel in such a circumstance.

Israels involvement would totally polarize the campaign.

Back in the second gulf war Saddam slammed some SCUDs into Tel Aviv and the US had to ask Israel not to respond, partly because of the opinions the Arab Coalition members (Syria, Egypt, SA, Kuwait, etc) would have to such a retaliation.

Originally posted by RSColonel_131st:

Is there any information around on the setup of such an ERRF battlegroup?

I had some involvement, during the 90's, in training UK's Joint Rapid Deployment Force (JRDF),this was based around an airborne brigade with a mech brigade for slower deployment to theater. It's around 8 years since I had any dealings with 'military things' but I think the current phrase is Joint Rapid Reaction Force.

http://www.dtic.mil/doctrine/jel/jfq_pubs/1726.pdf