Any chance for a Linux version?

Originally posted by Kineas:

Well, if someone paid that little coding personally to BFC (plus the compensation for the changes in their business plan) then we (or he) can have a Linux version. Everything negotiable.

No problem! Just give me the source :D .

Originally posted by Aniruddha:

Great to hear its uses OpenGL and no DirectX! Well if a MacOSX port planned it shouldn't be too much of an effort to run it in Linux?

Do you mean "run" as in we run the MacOSX version on Linux or as in BFC ports it?

BTW, the problem with CMx1 is not that it uses DirectX. The problem is that it uses DirectX 5, which practically no other today interesting applications do and hence is under the radar of the Wine people.

CMx1 does run in Cedega, though.

[ May 30, 2007, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: Redwolf ]

Originally posted by Redwolf:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Aniruddha:

Great to hear its uses OpenGL and no DirectX! Well if a MacOSX port planned it shouldn't be too much of an effort to run it in Linux?

Do you mean "run" as in we run the MacOSX version on Linux or as in BFC ports it?

BTW, the problem with CMx1 is not that it uses DirectX. The problem is that it uses DirectX 5, which practically no other today interesting applications do and hence is under the radar of the Wine people.

CMx1 does run in Cedega, though. </font>

Originally posted by Aniruddha:

Here you can find information if a game runs or what it takes to get it running: http://appdb.winehq.org/

What I really don't understand is that all Combat Missions are also released for MacOSX. That is the same platform as Linux. That means it would only take a small effort to make it run in Linux right?

I pretty much constantly test newest Wine CVS versions on games like CM. So far I still have to put up with Cedega. That braindead video test that CM does at the beginning is just some magic that the Wine people don't bother with.

CMx1 was on OS9, but more importantly it used the 3D API "Rave", not OpenGL.

• 1 month later...

The Dropteam guys seem to have no problem supporting then all.

Guess it's just a matter of the devs picking/knowing cross-platform toolchains and libraries.

I'm sick of being treated like a second-class customer just because I have a sense of quality. :mad:

Oh well, I'll just have to keep pirating MS's ****e, they sure aren't worth the cash.

Originally posted by Bunyip:

The Dropteam guys seem to have no problem supporting then all.

Guess it's just a matter of the devs picking/knowing cross-platform toolchains and libraries.

I'm sick of being treated like a second-class customer just because I have a sense of quality. :mad:

Oh well, I'll just have to keep pirating MS's ****e, they sure aren't worth the cash.

Don't feed the troll.

Well, Dropteam Linux just segfaults on me when the sound device is busy. Of course I bought it to support people providing Linux games, but it isn't very polished I gotta say.

If DirectX wasn't such a fast moving target we would be better off with a stable emulator by now. But MS fiddling with the APIs, and the fact that there's no standard body for these APIs, wrecks the emulation efforts.

And although CM:SF doesn't use Direct3D, there will probably be DirectX stuff left for sound, input and the like.

• 3 weeks later...

Mmm, ok now that there is actually something to play I off course installed the game with the latest stable free wine version (0.9.41) on my Ubuntu 7.04 machine. Game installed fine, I could register it ok, but when starting it, it complained about my screen not being the default 1024x768 32bit. That is correct as I have a widescreen at 1440x900. I changed the "display size.txt" file to cover that, but the game complained again.

I guess my question is, anyone try this and if so got it to work?