Any chance for a Linux version?

Originally posted by Mies:

Mmm, ok now that there is actually something to play I off course installed the game with the latest stable free wine version (0.9.41) on my Ubuntu 7.04 machine. Game installed fine, I could register it ok, but when starting it, it complained about my screen not being the default 1024x768 32bit. That is correct as I have a widescreen at 1440x900. I changed the "display size.txt" file to cover that, but the game complained again.

I guess my question is, anyone try this and if so got it to work?

Does your xorgs screen section look something like this?

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Section "Screen"

Identifier "Screen0"

Device "Card0"

Monitor "Monitor0"

SubSection "Display"

Viewport 0 0

Depth 1

Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"

EndSubSection

SubSection "Display"

Viewport 0 0

Depth 4

EndSubSection

SubSection "Display"

Viewport 0 0

Depth 8

EndSubSection

SubSection "Display"

Viewport 0 0

Depth 16

EndSubSection

SubSection "Display"

Viewport 0 0

Depth 24

EndSubSection

EndSection</pre>

Mmm, ok now that there is actually something to play I off course installed the game with the latest stable free wine version (0.9.41) on my Ubuntu 7.04 machine. Game installed fine, I could register it ok, but when starting it, it complained about my screen not being the default 1024x768 32bit. That is correct as I have a widescreen at 1440x900. I changed the "display size.txt" file to cover that, but the game complained again.

I guess my question is, anyone try this and if so got it to work?

Is your main display 16, 24 or 32 bit color?

Does it work if you switch your display to 1024x768?

Originally posted by Redwolf:

Is your main display 16, 24 or 32 bit color?

Does it work if you switch your display to 1024x768?

Sorry for the late reply. The messageboard wasn't too responsive yesterday evening, my time. My main display supports 32 bit, but judging from the message I get it actually could be the reason for this not working.

I found an issue with the NVidia drivers are by default setup to run 2 monitors. If you turn that of in the xorg.conf at least the refresh rates goes up. I added this to accomplish that :

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Option "DynamicTwinView" "False"</pre>

I am sure you must provide a 32 bit visual for CM:SF, and to avoid trouble switching to it you should offer 32 bit only in your config. I would also offer 1024x768 only for now so that you can see whether the game works without dealing with switching video resolutions.

Myself, my Debian upgraded libc, including the 32 bit ld.so, to 2.6 and that makes a while bunch of 32 bit stuff unhappy, including Wine and Cedega. Glibc is really not the high point of Linux :mad:

I've recently switched to Ubuntu 7.04 and since I really don't want to go back to Wins**t to play CM:SF I'm really looking forward for a solution. I'm actually downloading CM:SF demo and I should install Wine this evening (if I will have the time). I will post the results here. Let's see what will happen.....

Originally posted by Redwolf:

I am sure you must provide a 32 bit visual for CM:SF, and to avoid trouble switching to it you should offer 32 bit only in your config. I would also offer 1024x768 only for now so that you can see whether the game works without dealing with switching video resolutions.

Myself, my Debian upgraded libc, including the 32 bit ld.so, to 2.6 and that makes a while bunch of 32 bit stuff unhappy, including Wine and Cedega. Glibc is really not the high point of Linux :mad:

I'll create a custom version of my customized xorg.conf :D this evening with your suggestions to see what that brings me.

Thanks for the advise.

Mies

I gave it a shot with a stripped down version of my xorg.conf. I set the defaultDepth to 32, only left a Display section in with 32 Depth and starting at a resolution of 1024x768. No joy. In fact I couldn't start my machine as it complained about you guessed it the 32bit setting. I bet that the NVidia drivers for Linux do not support the 32 bit setting of the screen or something. Seeing that CMSF does run when starting in Windows it could be something like that. Or not. If I get a new brainwave I'll post back.

Mies

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by RedMike:

The trouble with Linux is the whole open source thing I guess. Devs don't like it.

You mean that people are always fiddling with Linux and thus it's kinda hard to code for? Maybe. But I think that primarily it's that not only is Linux a moving target, it's a godawful small target to hit. I mean, they already coded several games for Mac and Windows and the developers are still not driving Ferraris. Imagine how little coin Linux would put in their coffers.

Originally posted by RedMike:

The trouble with Linux is the whole open source thing I guess. Devs don't like it. [/QB]

CM:SF wouldn't have to be open unless it incorporated software that had a viral license.

Linux -is- heavily forked, however -- resulting in fun-fun compatibility issues and headaches from the multitude of packaging systems; and seems quite likely to have a user base that is disproportionately averse to buying software. Plus, due to the fact that most commercial games aren't available, gamers that use Linux also are fairly likely to dual-boot or use another system.

Adding support for more OSes would also require finding qualified beta-testers who have those platforms.

These arguments sounds like, FUD to me. In short:

ID provides Linux games e.g.

Doom I, II, III

Quake I, II, III, IV

Return to castle Wolfenstein

Enemy Territory

Enemy Territory: Quake Wars

Atari provides Linux games e.g.

Unreal Tournament, Unreal Tournament 2003, Unreal Tournament 2004

Neverwinter Nights

Other Recent Linux Games:

Penumbra

Tribal Trouble

etc etc.

Most of them use a (bash) script to install these games which can be easily installed on every distribution. In short it can be done if developers use OpenGL instead of Microsoft DirectX.

[ August 20, 2007, 01:10 AM: Message edited by: Aniruddha ]

Originally posted by Aniruddha:

I have added a Test Result to the Win Apdb. I hope it will be added soon!

Update:

I have filed a bugreport here:

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9378

I've put a vote in for this one. I am dual booting at this point which basically means I don't play because I never feel like rebooting :D .

Btw, is it me or is it sort of a semi-Dutch thing to want to run CMSF on a Linux machine ;) ?

Mies

I've also voted for it. ;)

BTW I've currently the demo installed in my win partition and I enjoyed it very much but I've actually stop to play it for the same reasons as Mies, which is sad.

However I'm going to give it a try with CedegaCSV..... only if I will be lucky enough to compile it naturally! :D

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Aniruddha:

I have added a Test Result to the Win Apdb. I hope it will be added soon!

Update:

I have filed a bugreport here:

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9378

I've put a vote in for this one. I am dual booting at this point which basically means I don't play because I never feel like rebooting :D .

Btw, is it me or is it sort of a semi-Dutch thing to want to run CMSF on a Linux machine ;) ?

Mies </font>

If I could code games worth a **** I'd do it with cross platform libraries so I could compile for all O/S's. Seems stupid to me to focus on one or two when you can cover all bases. But hey, most devs don't for whatever reason. ID is an exception.Though I don't play FPS's I appreciate that they support Linux. Cool!

RedMike...out

Originally posted by Aniruddha:

Are you referring to my Dutch origins :eek:

//Paranoid mode on

How did you knew?

//Paranoid mode off

I sort of did. Saw a Dutch mail address in your bug report. On top of that I think mr. Bijlsma is also Dutch as am I. So 3 out of 6 or 7 people in this topic who are trying to run CM:SF on a Linux distro are Dutchies. Thought that to be kinda funny ;) .

[excuse mode on]

My appologies for doing a Sherlock Holmes.

[/excuse mode off]

Mies

Originally posted by Elmar Bijlsma:

Living up to the Dutch stereo type. We don't pass up on anything free. smile.gif

TBH, I'm not running Linux yet. Too much hassle for too little pay-off. I'll switch over in a heartbeat when this changes, though.

Try PCLinuxOS http://www.pclinuxos.com/ Ask any questions you might have on the (Dutch) forums or e-mail me. Give yourself a year to get used to a different OS (it probably will take shorter, but you should realize that you won't get used to it overnight). Most things look alike enough to help you help you on your way but are slightly different enough to get you confused.

Why PCLinuxOS? It works out of the box with everything configured properly. It is also the distro I use in my workshops to teach newbies Linux.

I wanna bet that once you understand the logic behind Linux you never want to go back :D

What a pile of FUD, Mud.

Originally posted by Mud:

CM:SF wouldn't have to be open unless it incorporated software that had a viral license.

What's exactly is a viral license? Got any specimens you've been dissecting for us?

Linux -is- heavily forked, however --

Bollocks, Linux is not forked, and it's branches are maintained: kernel.org

resulting in fun-fun compatibility issues and headaches from the multitude of packaging systems;
Just use a generic scripted install like Dropteam does if supporting a few distros is too much trouble.

and seems quite likely to have a user base that is disproportionately averse to buying software.
And you base this conjecture on what?

Plus, due to the fact that most commercial games aren't available, gamers that use Linux also are fairly likely to dual-boot or use another system.

So we should just continue as we are? no thanks, that's a dead end, look at the monstrosity that is Vista...

Adding support for more OSes would also require finding qualified beta-testers who have those platforms.

"Qualified"? What like somebody that's managed to install it? Yep that'll be a major problem I'm sure.

You got shares in MS or something?