Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Target information sharing

Pandur

i saw questions related to this in several threads, and it seems people are unsure how it should work, if it does. and what it actually does, when it works.

so i thought i share my expiriences with it. everything i write here counts for "Elite" setting, i have no clue what and if there is something different in veteran(related to this feature).

at first, this feature is somewhat puzzeling. its hard to come by and sometimes it seemst to do plainly noting.

but one thing i noticed for sure it does, it shares "suspected" enemy positions -> the questionmark´s -> the "?" counters.

imagine a "typical" crestline, noting fancy, i have one vehicle on top spotting, and one bit behind where it cannot see anything interesting in this example.

now what happens when the vehicle on top of the crest spotts suspected enemys( "?"´s ) or just enemys, is that it shares this information to the vehicle i have behind the crest line in form of the qestionmark counters.

that means if you select the vehicle behind the crest you will see that it "spotted" some "questionmarks" behind the crest it cannot look through. not odd, it got the information from the other vehicle, as far as i see it.

how long this takes, i have no clue, i didnt watched for that in replays(if you can see it there at all). surely it will be different for RED and BLUE but i cant give an estimated time for any of both sides.

i strongly suspect it is related to wich means of comunication your troups have. one, two or three means, pritive or not, what expirience they have and if supressed and all the "usual" stuff ;)

now with this said, i never saw a unit "share" their direct "spotted" target in a way the other unit saw it "instant" or near instant. i think thats not possible, you allways can just communicate where the vehicle "should" be, as personel on the ground. the other one have to simply find it himself with a good idea of where it should be. also in US vehicles where you have the monitor and stuff, it does not work "instant" except the vehicle could spott the enemy by itself becouse the enemy is plainly visible, wich happens mostly i think.

thats why so many questionmarks pop up, and

units have "?" marks spotted after some time in areas where the specific unit, for sure, couldnt possibly see any. information "does" go around "somehow".

now to the "?" counter; i dont know what it does other than displaying that; "there is something we spotted, and feel the commander should know about".

if the "?" marks do help a unit, to spott the enemy in question when you move em up into LOS on the specific "?" mark, would be more than reasonable but i dont know for sure.

in the end its a good guess :D becouse i got no input from other sides than the game about that. the information in the manual isnt really helping there.

also, at that point i ofen wish the visual command lines back. maybe more subtile, but it was a great feature/help.

thanks,

[ January 29, 2008, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: Pandur ]

After playing some hours I feel similar. Sometimes there are some question marks in my head - apart from to the ones on screen - regarding as to why a certain unit cant spot another.

I did notice the sharing of question marks, it seems logical to me that a unit cant spot any OPFOR unit for a friendly unit (read: no 2 human beings can share direct info from eyes and brain). It has to spot it itself. However, that unit could share WHAT it saw, i.e. is it a tank, APC, infantry, etc. It would be nice to have several different question marks, to indicate what 'sort' of unit has been spotted, if known. Should be quite easy to implement, codewise, as I think of it smile.gif

Hello,

i think that we need some heavy mixed battalion on Red side too, to have tanks in C2 chain. I agree that the shared info has to be more detailed like icon of tank with question mark and later troops have to react on this too! For example : my troop has seen out there direction 11 o'clock tank in distance about 1000m so when i will move a tank he should face turn his gun this direction try to find him and kill before he will kill him...

BUMP

Would like to know form BF.C if this is easy to implement (expected in near future :D )

In my opinion it would help immensely if I could get some more information about type of enemy ? symbol. Like wether to commit your last RPG unit on this suicide mission or just a fighter group.

Offcourse soldiers will tell their comrades: enemy Vehicle / Tank / Infantry spotted behind hill 31, instead of what they do now: Enemy Question Mark spotted moving fast towards your position ;)