Abstracted Hitpoint System or Real Ballistic on Small Arms?

Charles wrote in AKM Letality Treat:

Re: Is every bullet counted?

Yep! It wasn't in CM1, but in CMSF we count 'em all. Even so, it takes an enormous number of bullets expended to cause each enemy casualty in real modern warfare (on average). Of the top of my head I remember estimates for this from Vietnam and it was something literally in the tens of thousands of bullets fired for each enemy hit.

And i asked:

Thx for the Info. So is there an Abstracted Hitpoint System for Soldiers (X Bullets on Target = Dead) or is it "Bullet hits, penetrates Body ARmour SOldier Wounded/dead"?
Question was getting a bit out of sight. So i started a New Topic. Maybe we can discuss/explain it over here because it goes a Bit offtopic in that other Post.

So question is: "Is there every Small Arms bullet calculated where it exactly goes and what it does on Impact? Or is it more like "X Number of Bullets have to go in Sector XY to inflict Z lossses" ?

[ March 09, 2008, 02:01 AM: Message edited by: Taki ]

The two systems don't appear to be mutually exclusive - at least not in the 'virtual' world.

In the 'real world' statistical percentages are driven by an accumulation of separate discrete events. In 'computerworld' separate discrete events are driven off of a statistical model. The tail wagging the dog, you could say. On another thread Steve had a long list of building penetration percentages for different ammo types in the game. So they seem to start with the penetration probablities and then work backwards to do trajectories, velocities, hit probabilities to get the desired individual results.

In other words, they're cleverer than me ;)

Yes, sure. Someone of BF does know. I didn't want to indicate otherwise. But Taki asked if we could discuss it here. It was not specifically adressed at BF.

And since he felt ignored, I merely wanted to say something, if just as to guess why nobody of us was responding.

I admit, I could have written "nobody of us" in the post above to avoid any misunderstandings, but I wasn't aware of the deeper implications which could derive from paraphrasing it the way I did... ;)

My guess would be abstracted. I just base that on the fact infantry units can fire into a building that has other friendly units and the bullets won't hit them. My impression would be that if each individual bullet had a flight path you would have more friendly casualties caused by small arms.

But I'm just guessing.

Originally posted by Lurker765:

My guess would be abstracted. I just base that on the fact infantry units can fire into a building that has other friendly units and the bullets won't hit them. My impression would be that if each individual bullet had a flight path you would have more friendly casualties caused by small arms.

But I'm just guessing.

Maybe I've got a good imagination, but it looks to me like I see a bullet actually hitting a soldier to cause a casualty.

That is entirely possible and I just haven't gotten 'unlucky' and had one of my soldiers hit by friendly small arms fire. I haven't played the game much since 1.04 so my sample size is pretty small.

Although, from what I can tell other people have shared my experiences. ie:

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=52;t=002982#000011

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=71;t=000160#000000

Originally posted by Lurker765:

That is entirely possible and I just haven't gotten 'unlucky' and had one of my soldiers hit by friendly small arms fire. I haven't played the game much since 1.04 so my sample size is pretty small.

Although, from what I can tell other people have shared my experiences. ie:

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=52;t=002982#000011

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=71;t=000160#000000

Sorry, didn't get the jist of your post. I'm commenting on the initial question of abstracted vs tracked bullets.

I think your assessment is pretty much right Adam, I am sure from what I have seen and what BFC has stated that every shot is tracked, and any 3d object that gets in the way is counted as a hit.

I think the hits that don't kill are either stopped by body-armour, or statistically (dice-roll) counted as hitting some abstracted small dip or mound of cover that can't be shown graphically.

Remember even perfectly flat terrain is given some cover (no such thing as perfectly flat IRL) and this seems like the way its done.