Jumping off buildings

I gave a Move command to have soldiers leave a building and was surprised when some of them took the quickest route: off the balcony.

Here are 3 shots taken by Fraps at 1sec intervals:

Note the soldier on the top balcony to the right:

CMShockForce2008-02-2919-44-57-70.jpg

Here is again, heading down

CMShockForce2008-02-2919-44-59-35.jpg

(At least he has the good sense to bend his knees.)

And finally:

CMShockForce2008-02-2919-45-00-90.jpg

He has hit the ground running.

Are they supposed to do this?

Yes, I saw this happen too but just once. I had FRAPS opened so I was able to catch this shot of the guy on the ground but one second later, he levitated (extermely quickly but visibly) back up to the balcony on the 5th floor above him. (out of the picture)

jumper.jpg

He kept doing this for quite some time but I couldn't get a shot of him during the levitating phase so it didn't make for a convincing case.

We *think* we have that fixed in v1.08, but I'm sure if not you guys will let us know ;) This has been a hard one to track down because it doesn't happen frequently and the saves of it happening don't tell Charles much. Kinda like seeing a picture of a car wreck... you can make some assumptions about what happened, maybe, but it's tough to say what really happened without seeing it happen yourself.

Steve

It's such a GREAT vehicle for a metaphor :D Seriously though, everybody has experiences with cars which makes the analogy work across all cultures. They are mechanical, which helps in many situations. They are prone to problems, which helps in others. They come in a variety of different designs, qualities, performance, etc. and that is extremely helpful for other comparisons. Basically, the damned thing is near universally perfect!

Steve