Smoke launchers causing vehicle damage

Not a high priority bug by any means, but i'm just putting it out there.

I found a strange bug while doing some quick testing related to LOS and smoke. I set up 3 strykers in a T formation, bumper to bumper and ordered them to pop all their smoke. One of the strykers was immobilised and the other crew bailed out. Its looks like vehicle launched smoke grenades can damage nearby vehicles.

I have seen that also. I thought it was some sort of IED, so I kept reloading my save to see if was the smoke. When I did not pop smoke it was fine but when I did it seemed to be about 75% of the time immobilzed.

Imagine burning tires, nice touch BFC

[ July 30, 2007, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: Huntarr ]

Originally posted by squishalll:

Perhaps the smoke modelled is WP. If so then it makes sense that your friendly vehicles getting hit with it just might want to bail and or get damaged..

I'm sure the attached infantry might have something to say about that. :=) The picture in my head is some buff infantry types rubbing the face of the scrawny Styker commander on the pavement.

This is realistic

In the German army SOP was not to stand anywhere within a 60 degree cone in front of the Marders while they were poping smoke

They shoot out of their launch tubes with alot of force

In 1999 a German mech infantrymen was killed with a smoke canister hit him in the chest and shattered his breast bone

Immobilizing a Styrker is a little over the top but casulties can result if you are hit by the smoke round

Originally posted by SmithyG:

Causing infantry causlties might be realistic. I dont agree with it immobilizing Strykers or causing crews to bail out, though. Maybe i'm completely understimating the smoke launchers, but its a bit hard to imagine.

Oh I agree immobilization is over the top but don't be suprised if you pop smoke with infantry out in front and wound or even kill them

I will bring this up to the BF powers that be

Though smoke grenades act basically as an irritant in humans, the newer grenades do not burn as hot or are as dangerous to humans, the environment, and especially armored vehicles.

I can see a crew bailing out of a vehicle if a nade falls inside, just until the smoke clears, but major injuries and incapacitating vehicles is definitely a bug.

Isn't vehicle launched smoke something like a shower of burning rubber?

It's not the same as an infantry smoke grenade which spurts out smoke from the bottom.

I thought vehicle smoke grenades exploded mid-air and the large particles burned on the way down and while on the ground, that's been my experience. (memory might be bad on this though)

• 4 weeks later...

Surviving an explosion of the magnitude that the massive IED generates is somewhat....odd.

Granted the vehicle will have some mine resistance but if you see the size of the blast these IED's produce then the Stryker just drives off as if nothing had happened....has to be a bug :

I would hazard a guess that the vehicle would at LEAST be immobilized. Not just because the tyres blow out but structural damage to the drive shafts, gears, engine and possible suspension units. Maybe the oil filter might get burst too! tongue.gif