Pics from Iraq

LT Mike,

I believe they're supposed to be scimitars. The pictures are terrific and should be of great interest to the modders and AFV grogs alike. My now retired brother, SFC George H. Kettler, never got to use the Stryker in combat that I know of, but he was a Scout through and through, with prior duty on Bradleys in Germany during the Cold War and Hummers during the Gulf War and OIF. He ran the TOC for the first SBCT to see combat, as part of the 3rd Brigade, 2nd ID, 1st Squadron, 14th Cavalry. Considering how much he liked the Luchs in Germany, I bet he would've found the Stryker a huge improvement over his Bradley CFV on the noise front and far more survivable than the Hummers he patrolled in and was nearly blown to pieces in by a large VBIED.

BFC,

His unit is wearing the groin protectors. Can't remember whether they're modeled or not in CMSF.

Regards,

John Kettler

No mags.

Reminds me of being stationed in Ansbach Germany before the first Gulf War with 1AD. The Berlin Wall had come down and we were having a volks march that started at Barton Barracks. I happened to be on gate gaurd that day. Well every German that came through the gate had to touch me. I started to think of the SSG that the week before had a dog turned loose on him and all he could do was run into the gaurd shack to get away from the dog.

So here I am with Germans and who knows who else all around me and all I have is a M16 with an empty magazine. Needless to say I kept my eye out for dogs.

LT Mike,

What weapon is the man on the extreme left front row holding? I don't recognize it, and it appears to have a wooden pistol type foregrip, though that may be something dangling from him.

Guys,

My brother works in the private contractor's office handling ROTC support on the main post at Ft. Lewis. If you get the chance, please drop by and say hello.

Regards,

John Kettler

Seems like you survived though.

Although, I'd be willing to bet 99.9999 per cent of those Germans was far more afraid of you than you were of them. And as to touching, I guarantee your touching them bothered them far, far more, than it did you.

Cleanliness is pretty important in German society, and US soldiers are not what most Germans would call clean. And if you look at the state of US military dependent housing, US civilian vehicles, US support facilities, and indeed US soldier behavior while in Germany, most fair people would have to admit the Germans basically are right.

I once saw a Wehrmacht veteran, Russian Front medals and scars and so on, visit a US Army infantry unit where it seemed like pretty much every soldier dipped tobacco or chewed gum. The poor guy was just about sick, and he definately was not impressed.

(Insert here standard diatribe on the need for soldiers sent to a foreign country to understand the foreign culture, unless it's a total war.)

Originally posted by chelm1234:

No mags.

Reminds me of being stationed in Ansbach Germany before the first Gulf War with 1AD. The Berlin Wall had come down and we were having a volks march that started at Barton Barracks. I happened to be on gate gaurd that day. Well every German that came through the gate had to touch me. I started to think of the SSG that the week before had a dog turned loose on him and all he could do was run into the gaurd shack to get away from the

dog.

So here I am with Germans and who knows who else all around me and all I have is a M16 with an empty magazine. Needless to say I kept my eye out for dogs.

Hey LT, tell Perry he's still ugly and being folically challenged is cool. You must be A trp, my former alma mader. I was the former mortar PSG before Sanchez and Aquino was my PL. Such a small friggin world. You guys look great! Tell the Thunder platoon and Perry I wish them all the luck. I'm over in 5th BDE going through the evolution of standing up from scratch now, though now as a 1SG. wish them luck and see you in a few more months.

Matt

Originally posted by Bigduke6:

Seems like you survived though.

Although, I'd be willing to bet 99.9999 per cent of those Germans was far more afraid of you than you were of them. And as to touching, I guarantee your touching them bothered them far, far more, than it did you.

Cleanliness is pretty important in German society, and US soldiers are not what most Germans would call clean. And if you look at the state of US military dependent housing, US civilian vehicles, US support facilities, and indeed US soldier behavior while in Germany, most fair people would have to admit the Germans basically are right.

I once saw a Wehrmacht veteran, Russian Front medals and scars and so on, visit a US Army infantry unit where it seemed like pretty much every soldier dipped tobacco or chewed gum. The poor guy was just about sick, and he definately was not impressed.

(Insert here standard diatribe on the need for soldiers sent to a foreign country to understand the foreign culture, unless it's a total war.)

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by chelm1234:

No mags.

Reminds me of being stationed in Ansbach Germany before the first Gulf War with 1AD. The Berlin Wall had come down and we were having a volks march that started at Barton Barracks. I happened to be on gate gaurd that day. Well every German that came through the gate had to touch me. I started to think of the SSG that the week before had a dog turned loose on him and all he could do was run into the gaurd shack to get away from the

dog.

</font>