Promotions/medals

I dont know about the US but Syrians get some cool promotions. For instance your fighter can start as a toyota technical pick up operator and then get promoted to kamikaze Lada bomber. Then he gets promoted to martyr and joins the 72 virgins paradise but this is abstractly simulated anyway.

Btw, we are talking about very short campaigns, so I guess no promotions/medals are planned by BFC.

No promotions, but some units carry over from mission to mission in a campaign (and not neccessarily the next mission, either). The player is not told which units are considered "core" to the campaign, though, to prevent using "disposable" units over "core" units.

I don't *think* individual soldiers are even called out by name so honoring individuals with medals is a bit hard. I recall BFC's answer to the same question for CMx1. Soldiers in the real world don't often get promotions after individual small unit actions. If you start the operation as a corporal chances are you're still going to be a corporal 2 weeks later. Only guaranteed medal would be a purple heart and that's the one medal you don't exactly yearn to earn. A 'field promotion' most often means your old squad leader's on a stretcher somewhere.

Progressively more experienced? Traditionally, U.S. would go in the opposite direction! In WWII green individual troops would be rotated in with veteran combat units with the expected unhappy results. In Vietnam it got exponentially worse with the neverending 1 year individual deployment conveyer belt cycling soldiers thru. Worst of all was when 'green-as-grass' officer candidate school commanders tried to take control of deeply battled-scarred veteran units. I recallI read it got so bad that eventually 1-in-5 officer casualties in Vietnam were at the hands of their own troops.

BUT - that was a long 35+ years ago. When the Pentagon introduced the 'cohort' system of rotating entire units together things improved exponentially. I'm not sure how cohort deployment would work in relation to this game. Perhaps if Company B got badly chewed up in a fight the whole unit should be withdrawn from from the front and reconstituted.