How will the OPFOR AI respond in RealTime???

My question is about the RealTime option...

How can the AI figiure out how to respond by "thinking" on the fly, in RealTime AND at the same time the computer will do ALL the combat resolution results and armour penetration calculations as well? (I guess that's where clever game design comes in to play and we know they have not had any problems in that department in the past smile.gif . )

(maybe armour penetration calculations in CM:SF are not a big deal and are not computationally intensive like in WWII CMx1 game because of ATGM's and the "if you can see it you can kill it" premise??)

This whole RealTime thing sounds Very very computationally intensive...

On the other hand I guess newer high end dual core processor computers, less then one year hold with plenty of RAM (2 gigs or more ) may have no problem with the game...

Again I am only guessing but this sounds like it is going to be a MONSTER of a game with a much wider appeal NOW with that RealTime option.

The second version of the CMx2 engine for ETO WWII with the RealTime option should be a RUN AWAY MONSTER hit!!!!

my mind boggles with the possibilities!

-tom w

[ December 06, 2005, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Why not wait until you see the game and then maybe your mind won't have to boggle so much? Just a suggestion. The devs already stated they aren't sure exactly how this will all work themselves either. Why not let them sort it out and just wait and see what happens?

Your sigline says "Be constructive" but I don't see any of that in your post.

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

How can the AI figure out how to respond by "thinking" on the fly, in RealTime AND at the same time the computer will do ALL the combat resolution results and armour penetration calculations as well?

Simple, really: throw the near-unlimited scalability of the WeGo system out of the window and limit the number of units to a number that can be dealt with in real-time by most medium-end computers.

Best regards,

Thomm

PS: There is also the option of watching the action in slow-motion, but I doubt that this is universally appealing.

Originally posted by Rollstoy:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

How can the AI figure out how to respond by "thinking" on the fly, in RealTime AND at the same time the computer will do ALL the combat resolution results and armour penetration calculations as well?

Simple, really: throw the near-unlimited scalability of the WeGo system out of the window and limit the number of units to a number that can be dealt with in real-time by most medium-end computers.

Best regards,

Thomm

PS: There is also the option of watching the action in slow-motion, but I doubt that this is universally appealing. </font>

Well, IIRC the AI and the armor penatration arn't big CPU hogs, is the LOS calculations. I think the answer is that processors these days are much more powerful than they were (8? 9?) years ago when CMx1 was being written. Apperently they've wanted to do Real Time for quite a while and are only now confident enought to share it. I'm going to assume they've been thinking hard and testing it out and have finally concluded that it could work. For the record I'm a history student, not a computer science student. I really don't care how everything works programming wise, just that it works. I trust that steve isn't pulling this out of his ass.

• 4 weeks later...

At least BFC's been getting practice lately. T72 and DropTeam are both realtime and both use decent ballistics modelling, I hear. I know, I know, just publishers not producers - but still they must be observant enough to learn a little from close association with others' mistakes/successes.

The sub game Dangerous Waters seems to have disappeared off their list of products. Perhaps it was too Cold War retro to be popular. Or perhaps it did as well as they expected and ran for as long as they expected.

How can the AI figiure out how to respond by "thinking" on the fly, in RealTime AND at the same time the computer will do ALL the combat resolution results and armour penetration calculations as well?

I'm reminded of Galactic Civilizations for OS/2. The AI - the claim was - would be "thinking" about it's turn while you took your turn. (Multi-threading! Woot!) So the longer you take, the longer the AI has to work through it's decision tree, or whatever it used.

I would be interested in knowing what CM:SF's CPU budget looks like.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

At least BFC's been getting practice lately. T72 and DropTeam are both realtime and both use decent ballistics modelling, I hear. I know, I know, just publishers not producers - but still they must be observant enough to learn a little from close association with others' mistakes/successes.

The sub game Dangerous Waters seems to have disappeared off their list of products. Perhaps it was too Cold War retro to be popular. Or perhaps it did as well as they expected and ran for as long as they expected.

Dangerous Waters changed publishers, but its still available. A demo that includes multiplayer was released not long ago.

Just FYI smile.gif