Grenade Launcher Gods

Hev

Whats the deal with the us m203 grenadiers? all the time my grenadiers are opening up at ranges in excess of 300 meters.

ie: In the ATGM scenario, i had loaded my squads with javalins and got them onto the left hill in a defilade. I then manouvered them into a possition to engage the enemy atgms with my own missiles and told them to fire.

practicly everytime my grenadier will open up on the target, and that can be at 350 meters, is this a targeting bug or what?

Originally posted by Mishga:

Are we talking BMP sized vehicle or M113 sized vehicle at 300m?

Either one that's impressive. Just judging wind conditions is hard enough I imagine?

BMP front silhouette. If there is more than a slight crosswind then hitting anything at that range is pure luck. The round is so big and slow that the wind will take it for a major ride.

Originally posted by Mishga:

Is there really a HEAT type grenade for armoured targets?

The basic grenade, AIUI, is a HEDP (Dual purpose) round, which is a shaped charge (HEAT) with a fragmentation jacket.

Is it the same attachment that UK troops now seem to have attached to SA80's?
No, that is an AG36 derivative, made by Heckler and Koch. It is, agian AIUI, largely the same as the proposed M320 weapon.

It differs primarily in that the breech opens by pivoting the barrel to the left rather than sliding forward. Max range is stated to be 400m.

The farthest I've hit a target is 300m. That was a bunch of wooden silouettes representing troops in thr open. I've only used the shotgun rounds in combat. That was back in Desert Storm. They're quite impressive, but the Army in it's infinite wisdom removed them from the inventory.

Originally posted by flamingknives:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Mishga:

Is there really a HEAT type grenade for armoured targets?

The basic grenade, AIUI, is a HEDP (Dual purpose) round, which is a shaped charge (HEAT) with a fragmentation jacket.

Is it the same attachment that UK troops now seem to have attached to SA80's?
No, that is an AG36 derivative, made by Heckler and Koch. It is, agian AIUI, largely the same as the proposed M320 weapon.

It differs primarily in that the breech opens by pivoting the barrel to the left rather than sliding forward. Max range is stated to be 400m. </font>

There is a myriad of 40mm ammo. For CM:SF they only model the HE and HEDP (on page 169 in the manual). The HEDP can punch through 5cm of rolled-homogeneous -armor (aka plain ol' steel).

If you want to see some neat stuff coming on the market, check out MEI. They have everything from medium velocity rounds (to get out past 400m) to a camera you can shoot up into the sky. They also make thermobaric (w/ enhanced explosives) and "double-load" rounds (some genius came up with putting twice as much explosive in yields better results).

http://www.martin-electronics.com/

Would be cool if they modeled the M-32 6 round 40mm launcher. US is in need of a true grenadier troop type. Any Marines have any experience in the field with these things?