Questions about BMP1

Does the BMP-1 have a ready rack of some kind? I keep watching the ammo count drop on the 73mm gun and every few minutes it increases a few rounds then starts counting down again.

Also in the systenm damage box, what does it mean when a system is geyed out. It still has a big green plus, but is greyed out. Couldn't find it in the manual.

I'm not in the mood to check. RTFM! (and come to tell us when you're done)

So I checked the relevant section and it looks like it's not mentioned. So it's an undocumented feature! Thewood, I hereby declare you the guardian of this holy information. Protect the knowledge from heathens and spread it to every firstborn male child in your family.

[ August 02, 2007, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: Sergei ]

Yes it does have an autoloader for the 73mm.

For the AT-3 some lucky person (the gunner) gets to climb out and attach the new missile to the launch rails (not quite ideal if the first missile misses and attracts some return fire).

Also while the turret can traverse 6400 mils (360 degrees) there is a dead spot between 10 and 11 O'clock (where the commander's IR sight is) where the gunner has to elevate.

Actually the Maliutka (AT-3) armed BMPs can have the ATGM launcher reloaded from the inside using a small hatch behind the missile rail. The missile's fins have to be extended by hand through the same hatch using a stick.

And, for what concernes the 73mm gun autoloader, yes the BMP-1 has one but AFAIK many foreign users just removed it considering it too prone to malfunctions and went with manual reloading. Don't know if this applies to the Syrian Army too, however.

Regards,

Amedeo

Guys, it is great that you share this kind of info but it would also be great if you provided some sources - for example about loading AT-3.

Otherwise, please understand, that it is nothing more than he said, she said smile.gif And in that case I doubdt anything will change in the game.

So BMP-1 has an autoloader, it is a round carousel. It will put the round into the barrel and push it there. But only for HEAT rounds. HE rounds had to be loaded by hand (*1)

The auto-loader was prone to malfunction (*2)

ROF (thought it is doubdtfull that it would be very precise at this ROF) was 6-8 rounds per minute (*2)

By the book the time to reload the missile was 50 seconds (*3)

Sources, all in russian

(*1) http://otvaga.vif2.ru/Otvaga/armour-rus-bmp1/a_bmp1.htm

(*2) Russian discussion board of former airborn troops.

http://desantura.v.shared.ru/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t694-0.html

(*3)

http://www.wartechnic.ru/rus/ground/armoredvehicles/bmp1/teh.shtml

Actually BMPs don't fire more than 1 or 2 shots per 60 seconds... I'd like to see some higher ROF at least when there's a very close and still moving target...

Not asking for a 73mm spammer (since there aren't so many rounds..) but in hot situation a crew would be prone to spend its ammo reserve.

OK, I just checked with former russian airborn guys, who served on BMD-1 (same gun as BMP-1)

1-2 rounds per minute ROF in combat is actually realistic.

Also they say regarding auto-loader. Yes they did exist on BMP-1 and on BMD-1 but were mostly dismentaled. Unreliable, risk of injury on BMD-1. And experienced gunner-loader could load just as fast as machine.

Originally posted by dima:

Guys, it is great that you share this kind of info but it would also be great if you provided some sources - for example about loading AT-3.

Actually every armour book that describes the BMP-1 tells about the peculiarities of AT-3 reloading. In addition one can find pictures of the actual reloading from the inside in the following books:

"Soviet Tanks Today" by S. Zaloga (London, 1983), at page 31

"Otechestvennye protivotankovye kompleksy" by A. Angel'skii (Moscow, 2002), at page 49

Regards,

Amedeo

P.S. One can clearly see the hatch (here closed) for reloading, directly behind the ATGM rail in this photo of a Chinese BMP "clone":

86-red-arrow.jpg