Features I miss. Will we ever get them?

jonp

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

dalem,

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Steve, it's interesting to me how you don't think it's relevant for us to mention CMx1/CM:BO when we complain and yet you go back to CMx1/CM:BO almost every time you are explaining or rationalizing.

I bring it up when it is relevant. People tend to think about the end product of 5 years of development (CMAK) instead of the initial release (CMBO v1.0). To think that we could put in everything that CMx1 had in the first go around, along with an inherently more detailed core engine, is an unreasonble expectation. So I'm reminding people that many of the things they find "missing" from CM:SF were "missing" from CMBO as well. Since CM:SF is about where CMBO is in terms of years of development effort, I think it is reasonable to remind people of that.

What you're confusing this with is when someone says we should have a specific feature in CM:SF for no other reason than it was in CMx1. That's bad logic because the two game systems, themselves, can not be directly compared. For example, "why can't we have random generated QB maps like we did for CMx1? You had them then, why can't we have them now?". Totally different mechanics at work and I've explained countless times why it's not practical to do in CMx2. Asking for something like "show all moves" is something that is directly portable from old to new. Which is why it's in the game now :D

So it's only "inteteresting", as you put it, if you don't really look at the arguments being made. Or to put it another way, there are times when comparision with CMx1 is relevant because CMx2 came from it. There are times when it is not relevant because CMx2 is not, nor was it supposed to be, CMx1 with a minor facelift.

Clearer?

Steve </font>

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Forgot to address this bit of baseless speculation of Hoolaman's

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />I believe that the line of sight tool was removed because the line of sight of units in the game is so flawed.

Believe all you want, but it doesn't make it true :D We yanked the idea of a LOS tool 2+ years ago because it was redundant with the Target Command. Which, BTW, blows the biggest hole in your theory because anything we might have been trying to hide by getting rid of the LOS tool (again, that's not true) would be clearly shown with any of the Target Commands because it shows the same information. Hence why we got rid of it.

Steve </font>

Steve,

Thanks for the info. I think it is relevant to compare CMx1 and CMx2 in this situation. Having never bought/played CMBO, I never realised that certain things I had taken for granted (and thought were very useful) were not included.

I also appreciate the fact that you have not dismissed my requests out of hand. There may be a certain logic to your design decisions and it also might be that there are not enough hours in the day to get everything in that everyone keeps harping about (e.g. QB Random maps). Especially for a release 1.0x.

I think you guys have done a great job addressing our concerns and the list of 8 that I posted was more of a wishlist and not a "I need them or I will not play" list. (Good news is that my 2 partners in crime that I play CMBB/CMAK PBEM on a regular basis have just picked up CMSF. One is in the Canadian reg forces and will kick my butt once again.)

Good luck and can't wait to see some of these 8 appear in the game sometime in the future.

I miss the old orders interface. Sorry, but a context-sensitive menu is _much_ easier to use than a tabbed panel where hotkeys do different things on different panels (I've popped smoke or bailed out when I didn't want to).

I also miss the information in the old target command--firepower, percent chance to hit, that sort of thing.

Finally, I miss the information about the units. I'd like to know how much firepower a unit has at a given range, how much armor, how much penetration for the gun, etc.