Two TOW failures in a row

Hev

Ok, when your talking about firing wire guided missiles from an aircraft thats one thing, but from a stationary vehicle. And a vehicle that relies on that weapon system as its primary defense against armour!

@ Flamingknives You cant realy compare the launch from a helo and an APC. Every move the helo makes could potentialy break the cable. Not so likely from a stationary vehicle.

@ Secondbrooks You know of one TOW failure, out of how many launches that youve heard of. If you know of twenty launches that still puts the failure rate at 5 percent.

How can we prove you wrong? There have probably been more TOW and Javelins fired at vehicles in CMSF than in all the real wars put together.

Also, you say it keeps happening. Thats what I am focused on. I haven't had more than a half dozen TOW failures, yet you say you see it keep happening. So how many times have you seen multiple TOW fialures?

I guess I just got lucky, I had three for three successful TOW launches from Bradleys vs T-72s while playing a QB last night.

I'm just happy the Bradleys actually launch at all, as before v1.06 they would usually just keep plinking away at the front aspects of Red tanks with the 25 mm gun until a main gun round put an end to the foolishness :rolleyes:

Hev,

Were your launches in wooded terrain? If so, perhaps the foliage interfered with the guidance wires.

ok, to be fair, ive seen multiple failures twice. And the last time i had the first misssile plunge into the floor half way to target and the other just sailed over.

Ill keep replaying the mission tonight and see what happens over multiple replays.

Originally posted by Hev:

@ Secondbrooks You know of one TOW failure, out of how many launches that youve heard of. If you know of twenty launches that still puts the failure rate at 5 percent.

I know only 6 launches. Those worked well (atleast i haven't heard complaints), this failure happened to guys before us, missile crashed to ground because wires got cut or got loose. This is what i understand as a TOW failure. What you do mean with word failure, that it misses it's target or not able to defeat it's target? Or same thing as me?

That could make 7-8 launches which i know, one of them being failure. But overall i don't know that many guys who have been in TOW-squads, so no much possibilities to share experiences about the system, we have quite few of them.

Yup. It ain't nice thing to think this happening is real situation, but then again your rifle could fail you, your bullet's fuze might fail you. Mortar round blowing in tube etc.

I haven't used it much in CMSF, so i'm not sure, But if i remeber right, it behaves like Javelin at first: fly high and then go down. Which is kinda wrong.

[ February 08, 2008, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: Secondbrooks ]

The flight profile for the TOW in game is low with a little "hump" just before the hit. Moves so fast in the game now its crazy :D i wonder if bfc up'd the speed from the previous versions.

As it is it looks devestating as it flies.

And, after playing the mission again i had no failures! go figure.

I mentioned yesturday in another thread this whole "randomness" issue, and even tho i bitched about it, honestly, i want the game to surprise and challenge me so i suppose it does that with "unexpected/unusual" events.

I cant believe people let this kind of stuff "ruin" their experience. Sorry to say, i find it kind of asinine. There are things in life we cannot control, the realism in this game is slightly dependant on how we perceive things in our own lives. It seems to so many people stomp their feet when everything isnt perfect. To expect perfection is ludicris. Things like troops not going through broken walls, people falling off buildings - i understand that - but this is like saying all my bullets didnt hit the target like i thought they would in my own mind, therefore it is broken! So a missle(s) doesnt hit, wow, my world is crashing down. oh noes. Enjoy the game for the sake of the game, not the sake of perfection.

Nothing personal, it just gets tiring seeing this all the time. It makes me think i dont want to read the forum cause i enjoy my in game experience. Sure things arent perfect, but really what game is? Maybe i just assume every once in a while i might not win a battle, that happens as a result of circumstances out of my control, things like missles malfunctioning - things malfunction.

No, i WAS letting it annoy me (no where near ruining my experience but hey you read it how ever you want) but the discusion that youve jumped on the end of helped set me in the right direction.

i dont think anyone stomped thier feet either, i mean, i wasnt watching the whole time but i think i would have noticed that. And do you see how loads of people tried pointing out why i may be wrong to expect better results without using words like ludicris (ludicrous?) or asinine!

A TOW flying over the target is not a failure - it would best be explained as the gunner just missed the target. A TOW impacting halfway to the target could be a failure, or could be that the gunner sneezed or got distracted. No missile is 100% accurate. You're going to miss some of the time. Just be glad you're not forced to use the Dragon ATGM.

And the "hump" of the TOW right before it hits the target is the top-attack feature at work.

Sample size!
Damn you and your statistics. I want an opinion that is not backed by objective numbers.

My father said hellfires had a failure rate of 5-10% when he was a pilot. I always assumed the failure/miss rate of a TOW was higher.

The question is how did it fail? Did it fail to hit, did it fail to explode, did it fail to launch or did it fail to reach the target, did it fail to follow the correct trajectory? How much do you think can be blamed on mechanical failure and how much do you think can be blamed on the gunner?

Hev,

I wasn't talking about you so much as the general attitude of players in the BFC forums - this is to a lesser degree than usual since two games just got major patches, and players have been positive about them. You're right though, asinine wasn't the right word, it was a little to much for the conversation. My bad.

Originally posted by hammelman:

Hev,

I wasn't talking about you so much as the general attitude of players in the BFC forums - this is to a lesser degree than usual since two games just got major patches, and players have been positive about them. You're right though, asinine wasn't the right word, it was a little to much for the conversation. My bad.

Good for you fella, nice to see someone on t'internet taking a reasonable approach :D

I think its probably unlikely for TOW's to fail twice in a row repeatedly.

If the two-in-a-row thing happens a lot, maybe the game has worked out that the situation your firing unit is in might be likely to cause failures.

But I think it would be more likely to see one fail, then a run of good fire, then another fail etc.