Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Request to include support to Open Vehicle/Units MODs.

Cid250

It's too late to ask for it?.

I hope that the developers consider to add tools for the player base to import fully new 3D models and animations.

I ask for it because this game will enter in big problems in the future releases to model the full ammount of WWII vehicles availables in the earlier CM.

There are many countries, and many weapon's diversity... too much to be modeled by a single game company.

In the IL2-Sturmovik team they got nice models comming from their community that were released as expansions... and even today, there are many WWII airplanes not represented in the last version of IL2.

Will be cool if we can work to expand this new Combat Mission release much more far than adding some new Skins and some Maps.

Will be cool if the vehicle data, 3D models, and animations, can be expanded by the players.

It's possible to consider it for the future expansions of this new engine?.

Don't hold your breath ;)

From past posts it sounds like (though they never actually said it) BFC considers control over vehicle creation = control over module pofitability. They don't want to see pimply teenagers cobbling together their own bootleg Vietnam War module based on the CMSF engine.

On the other hand, I believe Drop Team is developing a WWII version of that game, and I think they also support 3rd party 3-D mods.

But... they can also sell expansions that includes the best models... if they keep the control of the add-on or integration with official game patchs.

Don't know how was done on IL2 comunity... may be they published the 3D desing requirements, and the game developers were responsible to integrate only the best-quality vehicles in a official patch.

May be what they need is to open a SDK to explain the poly limits, etc... and then the community can work under those bounds to submit their work to expect it included in the next patch release.

A lot of people will make good quality donations, and the developer team can reduce his load of work by several orders of magnitude.

Is a fact that the number of hours needed to model those high detailed units, are a lot... so, we will never se a game as much complete in units like the old CM. Will be a pity if this engine puts a limit on the diversity of units that we enjoyed in the earlier versions of CM.

Please, consider the way of expansions with some player base colaboration that was done with the IL2 series.

BFC has flat out said there will be no modding of 3d models. That said, I wonder if there would be a market for paying them to make mini-patches of say three to five new vehicles. It'd be sort of a pre-pay thing. Say once 500 orders are made, off goes Fernando to make the vehicles.

[ January 14, 2007, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: Sequoia ]

Is not gonna happen; it has been discussed a lot of times and it is not going to happen. No matter what we want or what we say, a lot of reasons have been given, and BFC thinks that is it more profitable for them to go for a less-moddable game.

Sequoia that's a good point but a part of the 3D model, there is need to research and coding aspects of each vehicle, is a lot of work. But, it would be cool and is a good idea if BFC did some polls like "which vehicle would you like for next mini-addon" and give some possibilities, and the more chosen ones would be selected, if enought people preorders them (this addons would be only available via download), then they would build it.

Even allowing external teams to do most of the work while they control the quality of the product. Hey, is like all the episodic hype that has been going on with a pat of gaming industry, I'll reserve my opinion about it haha, but well, if people wants to pay for it and they don't stop doing complete games, allright, go for it!

Not exactly the same topic, but also a demand of this class: THIS THREAD

Yup, totally out of the question. Even if it were in our best interests to open up the game to such fundamental modding (and we believe it is not), we'd have to do months of programming and offer a ton of support to make it work right. We have neither the time nor the interest in doing this. CM:SF will succeed based on it being a superior and unique gaming experience, or it will fail. Modding will not help that equation at all.

Steve

What if you don't allow mods, but you give a list of features or quality requeriments for the models in order to be submitted by the fans to the developers?.

I mean... not mods at all, but some content submited by the playerbase can be included in official expansions by battlefront?.

Originally posted by Cid250:

What if you don't allow mods, but you give a list of features or quality requeriments for the models in order to be submitted by the fans to the developers?.

I mean... not mods at all, but some content submited by the playerbase can be included in official expansions by battlefront?.

They already did that in CMX1, at least as far as scenarios and mods on the Special Edition discs.

Yes but i'm speaking about new vehicle 3D models, and Soldiers with their weapons...

WWII is just HUGE!!!. To get the same ammount of weapons than we have in CMX1 with the new quality level is a hard task... you need lots of 3D artists, 2D skin work, and animations. Will be great if Battlefront can get the good quality models of the comunity, and build an oficial patch adding the data and other features, but saving some work on the models.

I may be wrong, but it's always been my impression that the 3D model, 2D skin and animations were only a part of the work needed to get the vehicle into the game.

You've got to add capabilities and statistics and also get the AI working right with the units.

I somewhat doubt that BFC would allow that sort of access to their engine.